Need cross ideas for "Ghost Spirit"

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
eastwood2007

Need cross ideas for "Ghost Spirit"

Post by eastwood2007 »

My Ghost Spirit is going to bloom in a few days and I would like to cross it with something...but I don't have very much else in bloom that I can collect pollen from. Haven't done this before so I need help. I like streakers and ruffles....I would like to have a mini with the GS misting and ruffles...oh and great substance and freeze and heat tolerance... :lol:

Other plants in bloom are Blue Cadet, Jewel of the Nile, Dream Weaver, and maybe Baby Bunting. Or if I collect pollen from GS rather than using as pod parent, I have many other choices for later on.

Any ideas?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
druff

Post by druff »

i'd use the pollen from ghost spirit. because that line doesn't produce alot of viable seed.

doug
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Can't you collect its pollen a day or two early (according to another thread), and then use another hosta's pollen on Ghost spirit? You could try to "self" some of the flowers, and then use one of your others on the later ones.

Good luck!

Laura
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

My Ghost Spirit is blooming but I'm not seeing any pollen. Here's a bad pic of the bloom.

Debbie

JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

No harm in trying, but I've never seen Ghost Spirit or its parent, Valentine Lace, set seed.

That said, I'd use Blue Cadet or Baby Bunting if you are going for small plants.
ademink

Post by ademink »

I agree - my number one thought being Blue Cadet. BC has fantastic form and leaf shape so something w/ the great misting of GS and the form of BC would be awesome!!!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
John

Post by John »

I'd do the cross both ways, too... although it's the pod parent that usually (almost always?) transmits the streaks...
wzbt03

Crosses

Post by wzbt03 »

I have contended for a while that it would be nice if some of the breeders of merit would share some of the crosses they have tried with some of the more commercial plants like Ghost Spirit.
I forced mine early and did not get any seeds to set.
Goodluck and please share your success or failure with the rest of us.
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I've never crossed a hosta before so yal take it easy on me. Is there pollen on the bloom in the pic I posted? I don't see any, so if there's not how can you cross both ways?

Debbie
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

:o I don't see any pollen either. Does this mean it's a non-fertile hybrid? :-?
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

As I said, I am new at this, so there may not be any hope. The flowers haven't started opening yet, so I don't know what is in there...thanks for all the ideas...they are all good ones.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply