It's a hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
mommatina
USDA Zone: 5

It's a hosta

Post by mommatina »

We went to a flea market last Saturday to buy some plants for the vegi garden.. there is a guy that runs a greenhouse and he always has nice veggi plants and annuals for the summer..well this year he had a few 4 inch pots of hosta.. now mind you I am dumb when it comes to knowing the names of most hosta .. but i do know a little about them.. so I ask the guy if he knew the name of the hosta.. he looks at the hosta and back at me and says "It's a hosta.." so I look at him and ask again do you know it's name.. and he looks back at me .. like I am some kind of dummy and says "its green and light green, it's a hosta,honey"...

And I thought I was dumb... well maybe I was I didn't buy the poor things and they were only $3 each...
http://mccomaswv.com/Beartown/beartown_wv.htm
Tina
Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:lol: :lol: Now you know that he leads a more sheltered life than you do, Tina. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Tina, Unless it really knocked my socks off, without knowing its name, I wouldn't have bought it either. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

LOL! Before too long ago, I didnt realize that there were so many diff. types of hosta. And the colors...I had no clue that they were anything other than green. :oops:

But to be standing there selling them...that is a diff. story! He should know a little about what he is growing and selling. :lol: :lol: That is classic!
Jaime
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

:lol: Our new neighbor said the same thing to me!! He has one that is huge and I asked if he knew which one it was. It's a hosta he said. I gave him a short crash course as I showed him my very small group and told him their names!! :lol:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
tcs1366

Post by tcs1366 »

I too did the Flea Market thing over the past weekend, and also came upon a women who had hostas (big pots, $5)
I asked if she knew the names... and pretty much as i expected -- Blank Stare.

She just said, "I thought they were all hostas".

I do know 2 of the pots were Golden Tiara, the others were just green, nothing fancy... so i passed, though the price was right.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

When I bought my first hostas I thought "June" was the date they had planted them. :oops: I didn't really look at the others.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Spider wrote:When I bought my first hostas I thought "June" was the date they had planted them. :oops: I didn't really look at the others.
That's funny!

Not sure I would consider a hosta at a flea market. I have even shied away from reputable distributors I have bought from in the past that don't give quite the satisfactory answer when I ask about their HVX prevention strategies. I keep my purchases to people like Chris that I can trust. So far my gardens seem to be HVX free and I would like to keep it that way!!!! :o
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Charla...........when it comes to hostas ,I 've done the same thing....shied away from some of the local reputable nurseries. I did run across one nursery in the town where my daughter had gone to college that seemed to be very proactive to prevent the spread of HVX. I asked a woman that works there (she may have been an owner or the manager) how they handled their hostas and if they were familar with HVX and she went into a quite long explanation of how they use measures to prevent any contamination. She seemed VERY aware of the problem! Natch, I bought a couple hostas from them! :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Having had only two hosta for about 5 years, I decided I wanted to plant more. I knew there were different kinds, but I had no idea there were so many! I found the Hallson site due to my frustration finding any hosta in the nurserys or garden centers here in OKC. I decided to go online and see what I could find. I googled and found Hallsons and that was when I found out there were more than just 5 or 6 different kinds of hosta :o
Ya know there might be an issue with this forum, it is an enabler :lol: :lol:, or maybe it should be called the "Pusherman" :lol: :lol:

Ginger
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Ginger wrote:Having had only two hosta for about 5 years, I decided I wanted to plant more. I knew there were different kinds, but I had no idea there were so many! I found the Hallson site due to my frustration finding any hosta in the nurserys or garden centers here in OKC. I decided to go online and see what I could find. I googled and found Hallsons and that was when I found out there were more than just 5 or 6 different kinds of hosta :o
Ya know there might be an issue with this forum, it is an enabler :lol: :lol:, or maybe it should be called the "Pusherman" :lol: :lol:

Ginger
I dunno, Ginger, since I get to talk about hostas with other hosta lovers, it kinda gives me a fix, so I don't need to go buy as often...o'course I already have a bunch 'o hostas! :lol:
Charla
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

newtohosta-no more wrote:Charla...........when it comes to hostas ,I 've done the same thing....shied away from some of the local reputable nurseries. I did run across one nursery in the town where my daughter had gone to college that seemed to be very proactive to prevent the spread of HVX. I asked a woman that works there (she may have been an owner or the manager) how they handled their hostas and if they were familar with HVX and she went into a quite long explanation of how they use measures to prevent any contamination. She seemed VERY aware of the problem! Natch, I bought a couple hostas from them! :wink:
There's one place where I used to work, and his hostas are alot like Chris'....big roots, several years old. But awhile back when I was there I asked about HVX, and the answer was well...not as good as I would have liked. That was last year. But I was there this spring and I saw a beautifully marked and colored 'June" that I just couldn't pass up...7 eyes for $12.50. But it is quarantined in my greenhouse! Don't like that part. It's probably 4 years old, but I don't know how long it takes HVX to show up on June. I am going there today to get some fertilizer, so I hope my willpower is up! :lol:
Charla
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

:lol: EW you are right, but you know what they say, after awhile you need more and more to get your "fix" :lol:

G
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Ginger wrote::lol: EW you are right, but you know what they say, after awhile you need more and more to get your "fix" :lol:

G
Couldn't ya just let me be a few minutes while I was feeling in control of myself! :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charla
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

I have the same problem here Charla. We're surrounded by lots of nurseries and none seems to have heard about HVX ! When I tell them they act like it's something new.

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
New Topic Post Reply