Nematodes

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

ademink

Post by ademink »

This is an awful year for me and hostas! I just dug up two more that show definite signs of nematodes. Both were received in trades last year and both are quite large. :cry:

My list is getting REALLY long!!!!!! With the exception of the few that I purchased two months ago with them, ALL of the rest were trades from last year!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I'm hoping you guys have just got me worried, but this looks like the pics yal are showing so here's my pic of Forest Shadows. I dug this up yesterday cause it was sittin in mud after all the rain and was just about to put it back in the ground and saw these 2 leaves. On of them it's just starting to show. I took pics of the top and bottom of the leaves. What cha think?? I'm gonna go ahead and put it in water, but a 10 power jewelers loop is the stronger thing I have.
Also, where's the hosta FAQ?? I can't find it anywhere. :oops:

baja220

Post by baja220 »

Oh Noooooooo. :eek: What do they look like in the water?? Do they look like tiny tadpoles?? :eek: I can see tiny little tadpoles in the water, but what if it's just something in the water?? Is there a pic somewhere to look at?? I'm freakin out here!! :eek:
madmama

Post by madmama »

Yes I’m sorry to say that is what they look like. And the leaves have the classic look.

I’m really sorry!!!!!!!
<font size="+2" I>Jane<I/font>
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

I did not see any swimmers. Does that mean that this might be something else?
ademink

Post by ademink »

I don't see swimmers on a few of mine either...but I'm sure it's nematodes.

They're killin' me here! This is what is infected thus far - the majority are trades from last year - UGH.

Pee Dee Gold Flash
Phantom
Choo Choo Train
Sun Power
Grey Ghost
Polar Moon
Green Pie Crust
Fire & Ice
Morning Light
Candy Hearts
Zounds
Diva

All have been dug up and potted. I'm trying to decide if I just pitch them all or if I try to boil them. How awful!!!!

I could live w/o most of them, I guess. The ones that are killin' me to lose are Grey Ghost, Green Pie Crust and Phantom - they're so gorgeous and big. :x

My Hosta List
baja220

Post by baja220 »

Jane, thanks, :bawl: I guess, :bawl: for confirming for me.

VT, I had to look really hard to see them with a 10 power loop. What did you look with?

Ademink, I'm sorry about the number of plants your finding them on. I haven't looked at other plants yet, but this one Was in one of my main hosta beds. :bawl:

Questions:
Do I boil the soil this one was in?

I just got this plant last August from a reputable seller bareroot. Should I contact him to let him know he may have them? Is it likely the nems came with the plant or got them here?

It wasn't touching other hostas amazingly enough, but what should I do with the surrounding plants?

I still can't find the Hosta FAQ Tigger talked about. :oops:
baja220

Post by baja220 »

OK, I can't sleep so I've been trying to figure out what to do. I reread this thread and answered of couple of my questions and got a few more.

When You put the hosta in hot water, do you wash the dirt off and throw it away or put the whole shovel full in there?

I found from reading Chris's post that overhead watering could splash them as far as 6' away. With the torrential rainfall we've had the past couple months(some storms puttin down 3-5" an hour) they could be splashed to Tin Buck Two!!!! So how far from the infected plant should I heat treat(or throw away) should I do considering the heavy rains?

Are you guys and guys looking in the water with something more powerful than a 10 Power Loop? If so, what and where do you get it?
woodthrush

Post by woodthrush »

Andrea
Chris mentioned the systemic granules in a previous post on this thread. Why don't you pot the hosta and try treating them with the granules and see if you have success. I know he said it only kills the adults and not eggs, but when the eggs hatch, those are going to feed on the plant and die also. If the systemic works and you keep re-applying as directed, hopefully the next generation will die before they can lay eggs.
It's Bayer 2 in 1 Systemic Rose and Flower Care. Walmart and Lowes carry it, probably a lot of other places do as well.
Pam
ademink

Post by ademink »

I generally am anti-chemical all the way so I'm debating whether to mess w/ them or just get rid of them.

At this point, all that I have found w/ nematodes (w/ the exception of the two I mentioned) were in locations where they can't infect anything else. They weren't touching anything or close enough to anything to affect them - THANK GOODNESS (especially my bazillion new TCs that are in the front yard. LOL).

The two that were touching stuff....I'll just have two watch those two hostas that were the "touchees" and see if anything happens.

I suppose since the lepers are in pots, it wouldn't be as bad treating them w/ chemicals. I could just create a "poison zone" and treat them all far from the pond. :lol:

I'll let you know what I decide to do! It seems safer to just pitch them but maybe w/ the two I really like, I'll try it.

My Hosta List
VThosta/daylilylover

Debbie,
I just used a magnifying glass, a pretty good one but I don't know its rating. I also contacted the seller who sent the following:
As to the brown streaks on your plant, since I cannot see the damage I cannot tell you for certain but Fortunei varieties often get brown streaks between the veins that are similar to the damage done by nematodes. The way to distinguish actual nematode damage is that the markings caused by nematodes go completely from vein to vein and do not cross them. It's like coloring between the lines. The streaking common to Fortunei types generally runs along the vein, but does not go completely from one vein to another. I do not think that our plants of 'Fortunei Aureomarginata' have nematodes.
I forwarded him a picture and I'll let you know what he says after he's had a chance to look at it.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Baja, Google 'westside FAQ' for that site. When I do the water test, I use 2 clear water glasses . . .one as a control with plain water to test how it looks with no swimming wigglies.

Andrea, as long as you have them in pots, why not experiment with the 'back of the car' method? In this heat a closed vehicle gets really hot inside. I think you're supposed to keep them in there for a couple days to equal the heat of a hot water soak.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

VThosta/daylilylover wrote:
As to the brown streaks on your plant, since I cannot see the damage I cannot tell you for certain but Fortunei varieties often get brown streaks between the veins that are similar to the damage done by nematodes. The way to distinguish actual nematode damage is that the markings caused by nematodes go completely from vein to vein and do not cross them. It's like coloring between the lines. The streaking common to Fortunei types generally runs along the vein, but does not go completely from one vein to another. I do not think that our plants of 'Fortunei Aureomarginata' have nematodes.
I tend to agree, by looking at your pics.
VThosta/daylilylover

To Hosta Designer

Does this mean that you think my picture shows that it is not nematodes? Aren't they colored within the line?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, I agree. Your picture does not have nematode damage.
HostaDesigner

Re: To Hosta Designer

Post by HostaDesigner »

VThosta/daylilylover wrote:
Does this mean that you think my picture shows that it is not nematodes? Aren't they colored within the line?
Well yes, but:
ademink

Post by ademink »

What about these? Nematodes? Maybe I'm wrong! (I HOPE)

If I need to do closer/more pics, please advise:

Phantom

Pee Dee Gold Flash

Grey Ghost

Green Pie Crust

My Hosta List
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

ademink wrote:What about these? Nematodes? Maybe I'm wrong! (I HOPE)
I would say "yes" on all of them. :(
Jaspersail

Post by Jaspersail »

Nematodes are probably here to stay... Someday the only way to keep them out of your garden may be to not grow hostas (though they can live in other garden plants as well) or to live in a bubble!

Just try to think of them like slugs, but inside your leaves. :evil:

They can make the plant look ugly, but with treatments (Diazinon, Peroxide, Insecticidal soap, etc) you can reduce the number so that you never see them in your leaves. At present that may be the best we can do.

--John
VThosta/daylilylover

First of all thank you Hosta Designer for the detailed explaination!!
The source for my hostas sent me this helpful link. It has great photos and shows a lot of other diseases and damage.
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/SUL14.pdf
:eek:
New Topic Post Reply