temporary transplants?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Muddy fingernails

temporary transplants?

Post by Muddy fingernails »

Guys came to my house to powerwash it in preparation for painting it in 2 weeks. I was not there, so now I have a trampled hosta and several others in jeopardy. I was thinking about digging them up and temporarily housing them in large pot/buckets.
Will it shock them ( the hostas)? Should I take my chance and supervise the painters like a hawk?
We are talking about large plants, all blooming right now. I have 2 weeks to decide what to do. I would welcome your experience/opinions.

Antje is Muddy fingernails
Look for me in the garden.
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Those workers should have been more careful to not trample your landscaping! I would be very upset.

Im sorry to hear this for you. If it is the same company that is coming back to paint your house, I would make darn sure they knew about what happened, and that it should not happen again.

IMO, I would not try to dig up my hostas from THEIR homes, I would watch the painters, and make it known how very upset I will be if they damage anything further.
Jaime
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

Absolutely not it will cause more harm to dig than get stepped on!
Conflict is as addictive as
Cocaine, Alcohol, Cigarettes
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Since we know they have careless workers and you shouldn't move the hostas maybe you can make shelters out of plywood that you place over them whenever the workers are there and remove when they're now?? Like the A's they make for pines in winter?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
Muddy fingernails

Molly,
That would be my other choice. I should probably clarify the "careless worker" issue: I am getting my house powerwashed and painted for free by a group of volunteers.
I do not feel right complaining about my plants but must do something to protect them. I think I will explain to the group on the first day what my dilemma is and then put up the plywood barriers.
I have lots of old, partial board in the barn.
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Put them up first and then explain that you did this to make things easier for them to work without having to worry about your plants!

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
Muddy fingernails

Great idea, Molly! Thanks!
Antje is Muddy fingernails
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

My DH is a house painter and in his opinion if someone wants thier house painted it is thier responsibility to cover or cut back plants/landscaping so it is out of his way and he can do his job. He gets really upset when he has to try to put his ladder a certain way, or go out of his way and possibly endanger his safety to keep from hurting plants.
So that said from his point of view, from a hosta lovers standpoint (mine :D ) I would pot them up and get them out of the way. You can always put them back in the ground when it is done. May have a bit of transplant shock, but they should have plenty of time to readjust before going dormant for the winter. They are hardy and they will survive.

Ginger
Muddy fingernails

Thank you for that reply, Ginger. I have this week and next to decide.
Antje is muddy fingernails
John

Post by John »

My guess is that transplanting them (twice) would do far more harm even than being trampled. Sometimes trampling is done on purpose, to stimulate growth of dormant eyes...

The volunteers could be told very nicely that your plants are important to you, as you've suggested-- perhaps accompanied with some good food and drinks!
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Well, you could look at it as an experiment in hosta hardiness! To being trampled and maybe get pics. Then next year when they come back doubled in size a result of being trampled this year and causing those extra eyes to pop, you'll have scientific proof of same! :D

All kidding aside, good luck with the dilemma. I can see both sides of this too and hope for the best for the house painting experience and the hosta survival!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
digs57

Post by digs57 »

When I was having my bay windows replaced this spring, I put tall stakes around each of the hostas in front of them, and wrapped the stakes with unopened garbage bags. This turned each plant into a highly visible and tall barrier to traffic - the workers walked & worked around them, and the plants came through completely unscathed. No damage to the garbage bags either - they went back in the box and were eventually used as originally intended.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Muddy fingernails wrote:Molly,
That would be my other choice. I should probably clarify the "careless worker" issue: I am getting my house powerwashed and painted for free by a group of volunteers.
I do not feel right complaining about my plants but must do something to protect them. I think I will explain to the group on the first day what my dilemma is and then put up the plywood barriers.
I have lots of old, partial board in the barn.
Ah...sorry to sound so harsh. I thought you were paying a company to come and do this for you. :-?

I like the A frame idea...and telling them that you put them there to help them out will reduce any hard/akward feelings.
Jaime
New Topic Post Reply