Midwest Convention Photos

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Midwest Convention Photos

Post by JoshS »

I finally got all my pictures from last weekend resized and uploaded. Here are a few...click for larger pics...

A couple entries in the design competition:

Cut leaf show:

Jim (MrHeinz) entered 3 (I think) leaves and got blue ribbons on all of them and a best of section with Blue Mouse Ears!

Midwest Preview is a seedling and sport competition. Roxanne won best sport with her sport of Ghost Spirit. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of it :( There are the 2 seedlings that got the most attention:

Dave's Cinnamon Sticks x Leafy's Big Gold seedling

Pineapple Upside Down Cake seedling

Friday evening we checked out the hosta display at Vander Veer Park and then enjoyed a picnic!

Orange Marmalade

Saturday morning was the garden tours. Of the 5 gardens on tour, we chose to just visit 2...but they were 2 great ones!

The gardens all had these cool sculptures:

Holmquist Garden:

Trail of Tears

The Harper Garden is most well known for the conifer collection, but Chub has donated the majority of his conifers to a couple botanical gardens. Hostas predominate now...

Paper Bark Maple

Biting Rosebud

The star of the garden was the Bottle Brush Buckeye in full bloom...wow!! Gotta get one of these!!!

Also must add some dwarf Ginkgos to my garden. This is Ginkgo 'Mariken'.

Tidewater

Another gotta have, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Kim thought maybe it was a Variegated Spice Bush. Anyone know???

On the way home we stopped to see Roxanne. Her garden was one of the optional tour gardens on Sunday. Rumor has it that Bob and Nancy Solberg dropped by!!!

Then there was the auction Saturday afternoon, the banquet Saturday night followed by a very interesting presentation on hybridizing by Don Dean, and of course, the vending room! I don't have any shots from vending, except for this "Not for Sale" 'Stitch in Time'...

If you ever have the opportunity to go to a convention, DO IT! Tons of fun, great people, and the plant that we all love!

Next year the Midwest Convention will be in Chicago where Ken's (cbiiidesigns) garden will be on tour...and the National in St. Louis.
barbara

Post by barbara »

Great photos Josh :D the variegated "anybody know"? bush looks like my var. viburnum...is that the right spelling? anyways, looks like it! :D
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

I agree on the variegated viburnum, barbara. I used to have one - and it was one of my favorites. Gosh I need to get another!!!!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow Josh, your pictures are great!! And there is Wanda's durn Tidewater....:lol: Trail of Tears is gorgeous!! Thanks so much for sharing, Josh!! :D
allnitro

Post by allnitro »

:cool: Josh, Mr.Heinz is still wearing a big grin :D I 'spose Roxanne has a good reason for still grinning too! :cool: Thanks for the pics. 8-)
JEFF
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Great pics, Josh. Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great time!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Thanks for sharing... I really love the pics of something so far away and hard to do :wink:

Please how aare those signs mad.. I love the ones they have this year

and... I want it .. I want it badly..Trail of Tears I mean... when, where , how... In Europe ????????????... is it in the trade at all

you know ... sometimes I can beg so very polite, so if it is in the trade.... I'' on my knees :lol:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Jamie

Re: Midwest Convention Photos

Post by Jamie »

JoshS wrote:Midwest Preview is a seedling and sport competition. Roxanne won best sport with her sport of Ghost Spirit. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of it There are the 2 seedlings that got the most attention:
I did :D :D And Nice pics Josh

newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Such wonderful pics! I really enjoyed seeing them all. That 'Trail of Tears' caught my eye too! I'll have to add it to the ole wish list. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Great pics. Wish it would come south :lol:
I need a Trail of Tears for two reasons
1. It is a really great looking plant
2. I'm in Oklahoma

Ginger
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Great pics, Josh! I didn't realize that MrHeinz had a section winner. Congratultions, Jim! There just wasn't enough time to take it all in. I guess I'll have to take a secretary with me next time to write everything down. I didn't get any pics, either.
I loved that seedling of Dave's, and planned to vote for it for viewers choice, but didn't get my ballot in on time. It just stood out from across the room.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
MrHeinz77

Thanks

Post by MrHeinz77 »

Thanks for the kind words. My best of section was 'H. Blue Mouse Ears'. I was going to throw it away that morning because I couldn't get it clean enough, then gave it one more try. I guess it worked. I also entered 'H. Praying Hands' and H. Mini Ha Ha'.
Jim
MrHeinz77's Hosta List

Zone 4

-91.84521 42.35827
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Glad you enjoyed the pics!

I don't know who made the sculptures, but they were neat!

Trail of Tears is a streaked Krossa Regal. JimmyMac tried to track it down a few years ago...I don't know if he was successful or not.

I'll look for the viburnum...thanks for the ID!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for all of the excellent pics, Josh!! :D I enjoyed them all. Congratulations, Roxanne & Jim!! :cool: Dr. Dave's plant did look like it would glow from across the room. 8-) Looks and sounds like you all had a great time!! :P

And I believe Jimmy did show me the Trail of Tears he finally found when I was up to see him & Lois recently.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Honestly...the sign I bought from Josh....someone wanted a photo. I'm terrible with my photo software and have no sucess saving the photos small enough. I was able to unload a "flurry" of photos on the Kare 11 websight. If you save the home page to your favorites, "Photo gallery" is on the left. I'm already on page 2 of the gallery. "Pizza" is my handle there. Later, Love, Lisa
http://kare.4wmt.com/packages/templates ... 434c6263a9
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Lisa, I love that sign you bought from Josh. Thanks for showing it off again.

Rox, my Ghost Spirit sported like that in '05 and has never looked as good since. You were smart to divide it off.
Attachments
Mostly green 2 years later  ~sigh~
Mostly green 2 years later ~sigh~
GhostSpiritD.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
New Topic Post Reply