Secret Trade has arrived!!! Thank you!!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I received my trade from chelielynn a few days ago
(Shelly) from the Hawkeye State of Iowa, and she sent me 3 great plants to add to my collection.
Hawkeye, for obvious reasons and was on my wish list,
Hanky Panky, had my eye on this for a long time,
And High Society, which looks like a 'Remember Me' that will grow, like June with a white center. Nice markers and an entertaining note, too!
Thanks very much, Shelly!

Scott (Scootersbear), It was easier to send most of those plants than to plant them, as they have lived in pots for a couple years amongst the other myriad and the job of planting them is going very slowly.
As I read your posts about really appreciating a rare one, I am glad you like the seedling. I have two plants from that cross that are gold with red petioles, and this one is narrow leaved, fairly rhizomatous and easy to divide. In the trade a couple years ago I sent a tiny division to Francine from the Hallson's forum when it was about 9 months old, but I'm not entirely sure which one of the two it was. I would be able to tell from a pic because they are quite different in leaf shape and growth habit.
Seedling 321 is the name for now. I give them a number if I use them for hybridizing, so it is fertile. This one is a late bloomer, as are both of its parents.
I have been wondering when a plant becomes 'collectible', and decided it is when at least two people have it in their gardens. Now to pick a name. Cinnamon Sunrise? Chinese Sticks?
As usual the trade is a great experience, and my thanks to Nathalie for running this one.
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Dave it took me an hour and a half to plant all of them, my wife nearly sent out an APB for me. The only easy 1 was 321 because I have an area that my red petioled hostas go in. How about Daves Red Legs? Maybe not. :lol:
I appriciate the seedings so much more than the other hostas, not that the other hostas aren't good (Don't get me wrong), but I know the work that goes into hybridizing a hosta. Just a more special gift. It's not just the hosta but it's the work and dedication that goes behind it.
Thanks again
pretends_to_garden

Post by pretends_to_garden »

I got mine last week!!! Yippeee! I am so sorry that I haven't posted before now, but between trying to get the kids ready for school, trying to get ready for vacation, working, and trying to get the daylilies that I bought from Chris, and the hostas from dirtpig planted, then we drove to Georgia over the weekend......whew! I'm pooped! Let me see if I can remember what I got from dirtpig..

Columbus Circle....brand new to me..can't wait to see this one mature.

Maraschino Cherry...I had this one before and it died...she sent me two divisions, and I planted them in different spots, so I hopefully should have better luck this time!

Whirling Dervish...This one looks really neat looking!

Zounds... don't know too much about this one, but I think where it is planted, it will like it!

She also sent two heucheras, the cutest little frog that lights up, and a little decorative trowel......did I forget anything?

My son and I worked fast and furiously to get everything planted before we left, and a good thing we did, I hear we have gotten a lot of rain since we left! Yeah!

They looked great when they came in the mail, and I put them in water and left them in the house for a couple of days to soak up as much water as possible. Can't wait to get home to see how they've done while we were gone!

Thanks again Nathalie for organizing the trade, and thank you dirtpig for sending this newbie such interesting hostas!!

Theresa
bengal

Post by bengal »

You know that expression, "All things come to he who waits"? Well, I waited (for good shipping weather), and maybe all things didn't come, but some things came - and such wonderful, beautiful things they were. Lovely hostas from Lelan aka ZZTOPSOIL. I have to say that, because I've been posting & visiting here sporadically this summer, I hadn't known Lelan up to now. Wowee, what an intro he gave me: the box was huge, and it contained fortunei albomarginata, honeybells, invincible, samurai, toy soldier, undulata albomarginata, wide brim, and one of his own seedlings! This one will have a wavy edge, and I am so getting into wavy edges! :D And the others? All very much to my taste! Color me very, very :D
digs57

Post by digs57 »

Good things come to those who wait indeed! Not to mention those who ask to wait, and wait, and... please...wait.

Thank you very much, Anita (hostaanita) from Nova Scotia - my beloved former home - for the fabulous hosta bounty which arrived this afternoon. And thank you for kindly postponing the package by a week while I attended to unanticipated obligations out of town.

Anita sent me:
Limey Lisa - a very cute little hosta with round leaves, I think it'll want to keep Baby Bunting company
Snowflake - a small green upright that gives WHITE blooms in profusion - I'm always thrilled to get a white-blooming hosta!
Krossa Cream Edge - NOT a cream-edged Krossa Regal (aka Regal Splendour, which I have) - but a lovely smaller variety from Mr. Krossa
Everlasting Love - a bodacious-looking plant with a wide white edge
Little Red Rooster - a red-legged little guy to join my growing collection of red-petiole hostas which I'm crazy about,
and Saishu Jima - a nice little late bloomer, and I have just the spot for it in front of one of my big gold uprights.

They arrived perfectly packaged, perfectly healthy, and all have excellent root systems. Anita, thank you most warmly for your terrific, very interesting selection. They're a most welcome, fun addition to my hosta garden.

And, of course, my hat off to Nathalie - merci, ma chere - for organizing this late-summer exchange, and for moderating all of our individual needs and requests with aplomb.

Digs. :D
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
ZZTOPSOIL
Location: Oregon(O.S.U.~Go Beavers!)...In the Beautiful Willamette Valley!

"Thank You So Much....Debbie"!

Post by ZZTOPSOIL »

Absolutely Beautiful!
Nothing More Can be Said than that.
My Beautiful Box of Hosta's Arrived from Debbie(baja220) Today!
Debbie was My Secret Trader in Last Year's Secret Trade and again...These Plants are Just Unbelievably Beautiful for it Being Almost the End of Summer. I am so Glad You Waited to Mail...Until the Weather Cooled.

Debbie Sent Me these Wonderful Hosta's...
(And These are All New Arrivals to My Garden).
Forest Shadows.
Kiwi Full Monty.
Stained Glass.

and...
Ultramarine.
Debbie also Sent Me the Most Beautiful Pre-Painted Light Green Markers...All Labeled with the Names of Each Hosta in White.
(Debbie These Markers are Just so Beautiful!)
I Also Received a Great Magnetic Notepad to Make All My Future 'Hosta' Wants and Needs.

This was Such a Wonderful Box to Receive.
I am so Very Grateful for Your Kind and Generous Gift of these Hosta's, Notepad, and Yes...These Beautiful Markers!
"Thanks Debbie...My Dear Hosta Friend...for this Wonderful Box"!

And "Thanks"...as Everyone Before Me Had Said...to Nathalie for Hosting the Swap...and Again to Chris and Brian for Allowing Us to Partake in Using Their Forum for Our Little 'Sideline' Hosta Trading Adventure!...
Now I'll Get Down Off this Podium After I Say One More Thing...

"Thank You All"!
For Making Hallson's Such a Wonderful Hosta Haven!
Last edited by ZZTOPSOIL on Jun 07, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Lelan.
~Growing for Today...Saving for Tomorrows~

My Hosta List
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I'm so glad you like them Lelan and again, I'm sorry you had to wait sooooooo long. Ultramarine was pretty fried, but it should be great next year.
And if that bud on Stained Glass blooms, stick your nose in and take in the wonderful fragrance.

Nathalie, thanks so much for hosting the trade!! You did a great job!!! :beer:
barbara

Post by barbara »

So, am I the only one left waiting ? :( Any news Nathalie?
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

No news Barbara.... I feel so sorry that your trader didn't send you your trade because you deserve it.

She didn't read my last PM. I really don't know what happening with her, she even didn't say thank you to her trader.

What can I do???? I hesitate between being mad or worry about her....
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
barbara

Post by barbara »

Not much you can do, I guess. Not your fault for sure. Would be nice to just hear though from her, one way or another. Life does seem to get in the way at times, trust me, I know :wink: . But still.... like you said, would be nice to know everything is o.k., never mind the trade.
newhostaaddict

secret trade

Post by newhostaaddict »

sorry to hear that barbara...maybe your trader will still come through for you...

if you were in the usa....i would send you something...

jill
New Topic Post Reply