How many hostas do you have? DBoweMD

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

How many hostas do you have? DBoweMD

Post by jobranch »

I was looking at DBoweMD's hosta list and was amazed at how many Dave has - I would be interested in the actual total number. Then I started wondering who on this forum has the largest hosta collection. Mine is small compared to what I have seen - about 70. Curious...

Jeff
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi--We have a lot of seedlings planted at the perimeter of our garden. Many of them are mature plants. Counting those, my guess is in the area of 700 to 800.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I haven't tallied it up this year after the convention purchases and trades. I would guess I have about 650 named varieties, and about 350 unnamed seedlings. There are lots of ho hum seedlings that should be culled.
I haven't shown the back yard. yet. :o
I have many of the dark and light seedlings arranged in an area to make a pattern, will get to that later.
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

I don't even keep track anymore, and my list is over 2 years old. :oops: Maybe this winter I will try to update, but I said that last year. :P I am now more concerned with keeping what I have labeled, and only buying Hostas I consider to be either truely different, or a great sport of a plant I already have and like.
I would guess at 700 named varieties, but it could be a bit less, or more. :lol:
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I crossed the 100 mark last month and am having trouble keeping up already!

Laura
jobranch

Post by jobranch »

Hank I knew you would have a lot. Dave - pretty creative arranging your hostas by color to create a pattern garden. I can't imagine 800-1000 hostas. That's a lot of slug bait!
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

I have 2 Junes and a plantagenia on the way (Ebay).If Plantagenia arrives in good shape or even as advertised, that makes a whopping total of .....3! (in case you couldn't figure that out yourself, lol)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

After my last order for this year gets here on Thursday, I should be right around 200. I have ordered some streakers for breeding for next year... :D

I'll update my list after they all get here.

Oops...I mean I have 200 different varieties. I also have a couple dozen duplicates and about 100 good seedlings I'm working.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Someone asked me this summer how many I had, and I didn't know. I went around the garden one day and counted over 800 plants, including seedlings and some duplicates. ( This was after I had my last spring driveway sale, when we sold over 400 plants.) I'm pretty sure I have over 500 named varieties. I'm getting close to 20 years now of collecting hostas, though the last 4 or 5 years have been when I've added the most. It never ceases to amaze me how hard it used to be to come by exciting new hostas before I had internet access, and how easy it is now!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I have no idea, but I am guessing 1050'ish? I think that is a lot......Now that you have asked, I do need to update, also....Roxanne, you really should do yours....:lol: In my little yard, I need to get rid of some that do nothing for me to make room for others....I need more shade, too....man....Linda, it might have been me who asked you how many.....I know I asked the names all the time...:lol:....Pssssst....you need labels.... :oops: .. :wink:

Spider.....you need MORE!! :lol:..... :wink:
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I have a whopping 15! :lol: What I am worried about now is how many will return next spring.... :???:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
woodthrush

Post by woodthrush »

:eek: Just over 700 named varieties and over 1,000 plants.
And still a long list of 'wants' - lol
Pam
barbara

Post by barbara »

At this time of the year, its always WAY to many! :roll: and I thought I was in total control of what I bought and would have time to deal with...ya, right, keep on dreaming :-? whats a Hosta Momma to do? I love them all (most of the time) ! :)
jobranch

Post by jobranch »

To Hank, Dave LindaP and Lucygoose, what size yard do you need to grow 800-1000+ hostas?

Jeff
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Jeff--I have any unusually shaped garden area. The area where most of the garden beds are located is 220 feet by about 150 feet. Our house is also located in that space. We also have a another, connected, area that is about 75 feet wide and roughly 75 long, with a driveway running through it. At some point this winter I will probably do a series on the Pic of the Day that will show wide shots of our gardens.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

Two summers ago I had only three. Last summer that went up to 14, and I think I probably put a couple dozen in this summer. I think I'm between 30-40..and sadly, I think I'm out of room! I'd love to have the space for more.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jeff, I have two acres +/-around the house. I live on a farm, so theoretically, I could expand that. Practically, two acres is more than enough for me to keep up with. I'm not getting any younger. There's probably around 3/4 acre or so in the perennial beds, the rest is grass and walkways.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Jeff, your question should be what size yard do you need to grow 800-1000 hostas WELL. My tiny yard holds nearly 700 different varieties and multiples of many but they're all overlapping :( and individual beauties don't have room to shine.
Attachments
SunPower 8 1.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Mary Ann, I still love the overlapping look! Mine are packed in, in certain spots, here. Makes a nice picture, IMHO. :P

Jeff, I am in a small town with double lot, and room for about a 100 more.....maybe. :???: I have new beds started for next year. Also, Lucygoose has trouble with numbers. She meant to say she has about 150. I guess blondes have all the fun! :lol:
......jus kiddin Lucy.....

Barb, you actually said how many you had? :roll: :lol: I bet you don't know, just like me!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

:lol:

Mary Ann, beautiful pic! What is the dark green/blue in the lower left corner?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply