Showing your email address on the forum

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Locked Locked
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Showing your email address on the forum

Post by Chris_W »

Hi everyone!

Recently a posting at Dave's Garden accused us of selling your email addresses and accused us of being negligent for showing email addresses in the member list.

I can assure you that we do not sell email addresses. Secondly, upon registration users are given the option to show or hide their email addresses, with the default set to hide. That setting can be changed at any time by logging in and clicking on your profile, then scroll down and choose to show or hide your email address.

We currently have 1996 members. 586 members (including myself) were showing their email addresses as of last night. I have since updated the database to hide all of those addresses as well so that no email addresses are currently showing to the public or other members.

If you wish to know someone's email address simply send them a private message and ask.

I hope this helps to clear up any concern or confusion caused by the posting at Dave's Garden, and if you have any questions or concerns of your own let me know.

Sincerely yours,

Chris Wilson
Hallson Gardens
Last edited by Chris_W on Oct 21, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Ya know Chris, it's truely saddens me that someone would go to another site and post stuff like this instead of going to you with a concern of this nature. I appreciate you doing what you did and this made work for you to remove them all, but as you stated you gave folks the option and if one really wants an email address it's not hard to find them out!! (I personally wouldn't be caught at the site mentioned due to past computer problems!)
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Wild Dog

Post by Wild Dog »

I understand your reaction but you have given one person the power to cause you to go to a lot of trouble. They have not earned that or do they deserve it, the number of people here and the usually good humor and helpful, fun manner threads are used proves we the people are not concerned with your behavior.
Conflict is as addictive as
Cocaine, Alcohol, Cigarettes
I’m sorry to report
That cooperation is not
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thank goodness in this case, that one bad apple can't spoil the whole bunch! Shame on you, whoever you are!!!! :P
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Chris

Thanks, for going through all the work that you do that keeps us safe on this forum.

Probably best if we dont have emails showing....you never know what can happen on the World Wide web.

That is to bad you got accused of something like that, but we all know different.

Again, thanks :D :D :D
woodthrush

Post by woodthrush »

It's unfortunate but there are people who join groups just so they can harvest email addresses and promote their own nursery business.
Too bad the person who complained on Daves didn't just come to you with their complaint.
Pam
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Ditto on ALL the above post! We all know you and trust you and know what was said or posted on said site isn't true.

Unfortunately they didn't have the _____to post on here as stated! Obviously someone is having a rotten life and doesn't know how to get a life and live it, but rather make others' lives miserable so they feel better about their own.

Thanks as ALWAYS Chris for providing this wonderful forum and your long and tedious job of taking care of it and US :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I'm with eastwoods :evil:

Just wrote this on the garden bench
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Easy... I delete and empty my trash... if I do not know the sender.

After the renaldo at hotmail.com... which I opened,- but it was not from our Reneldo, I only open if the subject seems to be from someone I know/make personal sence... no problem
I will be in some sort of problems without the E-mail.... lazy you know, just... I could always find it here...and PC's have to breake down after a short while... last one 3 month old have benn gone for repair in one month :evil:

I know Chris would never sell an adress... this is silly :roll:

But there have always been people with a thorn in their bud about this friendly forum :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
dragonfly 64
USDA Zone: 5b

AMEN

Post by dragonfly 64 »

Amen to all the above!! Go Chris behind you !00% Bev
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Ditto! :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

Sorry for the trouble. We all know you and know how honest you are. Maybe it is better to delete e-mail addresses. We can always send by PM's.
I hate for you to have this headache :evil: We appreciate your having this forum for us! Thanks!
Bonnie
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Chris, keep up the good work and tell everyone at Hallson's that I find the forum to be a tremendous service for free. I have learned a lot about hostas through the discussions on this site, things that would have taken me years to discover otherwise. Continue to take the high ground.

Jeff
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

I hope that either Chris insisted that they remove that post or someone with a Dave's Garden account do so. I tried to find the post on that site but wasn't able to do so. I assume you have to pay to belong in order to view that post.
The person who sent the emails must have had something to sell so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out who it is.
Thank you for this forum, Chris!
Ceil
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for the support and understanding.

I don't think the posts over at Dave's were really directed towards us personally, maybe more of an observation or just the old rumor mill type of chat, but I do agree that I wish any of the people posting about it would have just come to me instead of going on about the subject. It was upsetting to read.

I spoke with Terry over there by email and he said he didn't believe the accusations were just towards us, and he also didn't think it was a big deal for me to worry about.

Maybe not, but 2 people from here saw the post and alerted me about it. It took me a little while to figure out how to change the database so that all emails were hidden, but once I figured it out it was a piece of cake. And it really is better for everyone not to reveal your email address.

Of course, I really hate to talk bad about others like this, so for now I'll just make this an announcement. Thanks again for your support!

Chris
Locked Locked