Sunny and dry

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
gamekeeper

Sunny and dry

Post by gamekeeper »

I have started a new garden in a trouble spot in my yard and wanted to include our beloved Hostas.What variety if any would adapt to a rather sunny dry spot as they say well drained.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Are you going to water it ??????
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

There are many hostas that do well in sun, and I know we've discussed it on here many times before. I don't have a list right in front of me, but I'll bet if you do a search on here for posts that mention "sun tolerant hostas" you'll find the list. :wink: Like Pia indicates though....even if they do well in sun they are going to need water and some of them will need lots of it to thrive. Good luck!! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

rather sunny dry spot as they say well drained.
Best be prepared to do plenty of supplemental watering. You'll find the majority of fragrant Hostas to be quite sun-tolerant, but Hostas NEED WATER, and plenty of it, particularly when they're mostly in the sun.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
gamekeeper

Thanks

Post by gamekeeper »

This is not a convenient location to water often so I will keep the Hostas is my other areas where they are thriving.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi there,

Like Pieter mentioned, I would try one of the fragrant plants and see how it goes. Royal Standard is pretty bullet proof, and I had Fried Bananas growing on a sandy, gravely hillside with no extra water and it did surprisingly well. Iron Gate Delight is another that is very vigorous even in the worst conditions. And of course there are lancifolia and Honeybells that are worth a try :)
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi gamekeeper,

I agree with Chris - the worse the situation for that type of plant, the tougher the plant you should put there. This should be a general rule for all plants, not just hostas, and one that will keep you out of trouble. We could use a list of the plants best able to handle bad situations.

If you don't know too much about a particular genus, try the "old standby" plants. These are often the plants with the best ability to survive under bad conditions. Usually they are not the best looking, but the reason they stay around has more to do with toughness than looks. If you want the fanciest-looking plants, save room in your best areas for those.

........Bill Meyer
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
bobinfrance

Post by bobinfrance »

This may be going against every thing printed on various forums but I have found Hostas (when established) are very drought tolerant. So choose a Hosta such as plantaginea water well untill established then you could have scented blooms as a bonus. :P When planting improuve the soil with lots of compost.

bob
Bob
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Hej Bob and welcome to the forums :D

Think they have to be very well etablised for a summer period, one your is not enough, as it is with other plants :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply