2008 online Hosta catalog is now live

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

2008 online Hosta catalog is now live

Post by Chris_W »

Hi everyone!

The online hosta catalog has been completed and I've done some testing to make sure it works and things appear to be running smoothly. If you notice some mistakes, find anything confusing, have questions or need help just drop me an email or fill out the contact form and I'll get back with you right away.

The catalog can be found here: 2008 HOSTA CATALOG

You can browse the catalog's entire list of plants in 9 pages, or find plants alphabetically, by clump size, or by color. The search also works pretty good.

If you were viewing our pdf catalog you might notice that the streaked offerings are not listed. I am sold out of Fickle Blue Genes, Cajun Sunrise, and Monty Python. I still have 2 Rosedale Misty Magic available, though. Let me know if you are interested in that one and it can be added to any order.

For 2008 our shipping charge is revised a little. Shipping is 3% of the order subtotal plus a $7.00 boxing/handling charge for any size order. So shipping, boxing and handling is 3% + $7.00.

Also, if you order over $200 you will automatically receive a 3% shipping discount through our shopping cart, no matter how you pay. Depending on your overall totals and discounts you will pay no more than $7.00 shipping on an order over $200. No coupon is needed for this discount - the shopping cart will figure this automatically and it will apply to all spring orders. No limit, no deadline, no coupon code needed. :)

I hope I covered everything. If you want me to double check/confirm your order and totals you can email me at hallsons@perennialnursery.com or call me toll free at (866) 568-1474.

Pass this info along to your hosta friends, if you can ;)

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely yours,

Chris
Last edited by Chris_W on Mar 26, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bobinfrance

Post by bobinfrance »

Hi Chris
Just out of interest do you ship to Europe and if so what are the rules, regulations, and costs. probably too many and too expensive for a amature collector but it's worth a try.
Have a merry Christmas and a Happy new year.
.....Bob
Bob
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Bob!

EDIT: I found out that the EU has changed its regulations on plant shipments, making it almost impossible for us to export plant material to Europe. So I'm afraid we will not be able to ship there :(

The other country we do not ship to is Canada. In the past there have been way too many problems. Some people were charged extra import and handling fees that were supposed to have already been prepaid by us, plus there are soil tests that need to be run specifically for plants going to Canada. That extra test cost us $150 and we never passed that along. Basically, when everything was said and done, the last year we shipped to Canada we lost money on almost every shipment. It was a disaster, mainly because of all of the government regulations that we ran into on both sides of the border, so we won't be repeating that. I know several people were upset with the whole thing too, which we have really regretted ever since :(

However we have had great luck shipping to Europe and Asia, so if you think you want to try and get some plants let me know and I'll check into it for you.

Thanks for asking :)

Chris
Last edited by Chris_W on Dec 22, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

The one country we do not ship to is Canada.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

You would think Canada should be easier considering it's on the same continent. Diseases here would be there already anyway. :roll:
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

I've made my Hallson's list :D , it's bigger than my porch and wallet! Reality has to cut back and I would like to participate in the trades this year. (means save room, lol).
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Thank you all for taking a look at the list. I found out from Buckeye that the EU changed their regulations on plant imports this year, making it almost impossible for us to export plants there. So we won't be able to ship to Europe any longer either.

The good news is that the new online catalog is looking good, and will include a wish list and order history, plus will make it much easier to purchase, track, and use gift certificates online. I should be making the transition to the new shopping site in a week or so.

Sincerely yours,

Chris
Last edited by Chris_W on Jan 07, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Fickle Blue Genes?? :o I didn't even see that name..... :hmm:.....Shoot.....

Wait till Pia hears that, Chris......another :o
Kas

Post by Kas »

OMG! Warwick Comet! I think I am going to faint. I want this one so bad!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
moongirl

Post by moongirl »

Well, I need to buy a bigger back yard. Wonder where I can put it....? Too many goodies on this list! :roll: :roll:
moongirl
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Good news everyone!

The online hosta catalog is finished and its live and ready to go :) I edited my original post with some updated details listed up top. Let me know if there are any questions.

Chris

Our Online Hosta Catalog
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Chris.....

I will spread the word! :cool:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I've got my first list made of all the possibilities, so now I need to go through them one by one and pare the list down. So many to choose from!!! I'll try and get my order in sometime this week and not wait til the last minute. I like to take advantage of the specials whenever I can! :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

I Had an opportuninty to speak with a 'Gent' from "Hallson's" today. I must say, very attentaive and easy to talk to! After discussing with him the issues surrounding the border and so on, he was very informative and helpful.. With the rise in regulations surrounding plants and crossing the border are rediculous to say the least. My heart goes out to the US distributers, growers, and nurseries, that partially depend on a portion of their sales to Canada.

I told the person I was speaking to at "Hallson's" that I would be dropping down to see him anyway! Late May, early June. :wink:

Great forum! Awesome topic!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome ,Elizabeth! The gentlemen that own and run Hallson Gardens are truly two wonderful people. I've visited Hallson Gardens several times and I've always come away with a van load of new plants and a smile on my face. It's always a pleasure. So glad you're planning your own trip to Hallson's and it's great to have you as a new member of the forum. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Chris, as bad AS i HATE TO DO this

Post by oldcoot »

i HAVE TO ANNOUNCE i WILL NOT BUYING ANY BULBS OR hOSTA THIAS YEQAR - i WON'T KNIOW ABOUT NEXT YEAR UNTIL THEN

o.C. is PRETTY WELL CONFINED TO BED AND wheelchair so he can't go out in the yard.....

I'll sure be looking at every ones plants though with tears in my eyes

And I ask that NO ONE send any to me. with 106+* heat and no water last summer I don't even know if there are any even out left.. Coot
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh my friend.....I just love you! I won't send anything, but prayers.....Huggs!!!!!!!!!
New Topic Post Reply