Pic of the Day--Garden tour 8

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Garden tour 8

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Here are two more photos of our front garden. They were taken from the deck that extend from our house. In the first photo you can see the driveway that has the narrow strip of plants that I showed in the first photos in this series. In today's second photo you can see a portion of the retaining wall that showed up in the first photo yesterday.
Attachments
6-28-07c 017.jpg
6-28-07c 016.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
hubble

Post by hubble »

Hank, your gardens are so lovely. I've been enjoying them for some time. I also love your composition with companion plants. I learn from every photo you post.

Do have a question...what types of trees do you have in your gardens that you are able to plant right up against? I think you talked about them some time ago, but I don't remember now. :oops:

With much appreciation from the cold snowy plains of Kansas...

Karen
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Beautiful pics, Hank. :cool: Keep those pics coming. I never get tired of taking a virtual stroll through your gardens. :D This has probably been asked before but I don't remember the answer. How large is your property?
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Karen--The trees in the front garden are Black Walnuts. We also have a number of them scattered about the property. I have read in a number of sources that Black Walnuts produce a substance that kills or greatly inhibits some plants. I have NOT had ANY problems with our perennials growing under any of the Black Walnuts. We also have a number of Elms and Red Pines and a few other types that I don't know the names of.

Pat--It is a total of 2.3 acres. The portion that you have seen in the recent photos is somewhat triangular in shape. The main section of land that our house is located in is 220 feet wide and goes up the bluff for several hundred feet. Most of the land is covered by native forest that has never been cut down for timbers. My guess would be that the house and garden beds take up maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Hosta-Haven

Post by Hosta-Haven »

:bd: Hank, I am also LOVING the garden tours. Your individual photos are always awesome but is nice to see your whole beds. I admire your eye :P for placement for your hostas along with other perennials/ground covers.
Char
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Thank Hank

You know I love it

So beautiful they all are
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Thanks, folks. I'm glad you are enjoying the photos.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks Hank. :D I was just curious as to how far the spread of the hosta beds was. You know, thinking about how to use some of your ideas in a smaller space. I think we have just over 1/4 of an acre here. Now, I'm off to catch up on the rest of the tour. I have peeked in a few times but I'm way behind the rest of the group. :wink:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply