kiwi forest

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
greenguy

kiwi forest

Post by greenguy »

does this plant have hvx? some other virus?

anyone have one?

pics?

what can you tell me about it?
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Isn't that an interesting hosta, I'm thinking of adding one someday soon! From what I've read it's not HVX virus causing those color changes but might be a different virus not know or discovered yet. Do note that it changes color during the season and becomes a solid color all blue-green. Yet I'ld love watching it's changes over the spring/summer.

forgot link:
http://www.hostalibrary.org/k/k.html
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I've had them tested and no, it isn't HVX nor any other virus (had them tested by electron microscopy). So this is one with some normal mottling just in the spring, but then it turns blue after a month or so. If you are seeing one that keeps the mottling all summer long I would wonder about it, but the cultivar itself is fine.
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Chris

Thanks! That's good to know that no other virus was found, it has been the only thing holding me back from getting one. I do remember reading at one time that it might be an other virus caused those color changes.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I've had Kiwi Forest for several years and the first year I had it , it scared the crap out of me! :lol: But then, I too, learned that the mottling you see in the spring is normal and not a virus. It still gives me a fright each spring, but it's a nice hardy hosta for me. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I bought a small bagged Kiwi Forest [and I think Kiwi Canoe :-? ] from Barry Sligh in 2004 at the National Convention in Des Moines. I debated & debated & finally settled on those 2. They were just small bagged dormant eyes since it was the opposite of spring in NZ then. And by the time I remembered I had them after the convention, they were too dried out. I tried rehydrating them, but they just rotted. :???: I really liked this one. Glad to know it's not virused. I may try it again someday if I find it.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

Thanks for all of the great information. I thought for sure it had some type of virus just from the looks of it. It really is unique and will probably add one soon.
New Topic Post Reply