best place or condition for white wall tires and falen angel

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Canadian-hosta-girl

best place or condition for white wall tires and falen angel

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

hi all , i am picking up a few more hostas this weekend and was wondering what's the best place to plant hosta white wall tires and fallen angel ? alot of sun more then shade or vice versa ?

thanks in advance :)
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Bumping up so maybe someone will see and can help!
Sorry, I am no good :lol:

Ginger
Canadian-hosta-girl

hey Ginger thanks for that :wink: .....i was asking since their hostas that come up mostly white or pale and it is my first experience with those and here these 2 are hard to come by so i didnt want to loose them, so was wondering how much sun these needs or can take , before i plant them to enjoy the best coloration the longer i can....

maybe someone can help me out if they have them ...

woodthrush

Post by woodthrush »

This is only the second year I've had Fallen Angel and White Wall Tires, so they aren't that big yet. But they did survive our zone 4 winter. Both are in heavily dappled shade with maybe an hour of sun towards sunset. They are growing in very moist conditions.
White Feather did survive the winter, but died shortly after sprouting. I just bought another one and that one died as soon as I took it out of the box - lol I'll try it one more time though
Pam
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Seems to me that Renaldo has White Wall Tires, so if he doesn't respond to this post soon, you might want to PM him. :wink: I don't have either, so I can't be of any help. :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I can tell you my Enterprise does well with morning sun and deep shade or very little sun in the afternoon. Sun is realy hot and intense in the afternoon here in OKlahoma, so if you could give your light Hosta morning sun it would do well in your climate I think as long as it is not to hot, just my experiance :D

Ginger
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I would have responded sooner, but I'm just catching up on the forum after being at the MW convention.

I have WWT & it's done great for me in a spot that gets a lot of midday/afternoon sun. It could use a bit more shade than it gets currently because some leaves can get a bit fried later in the summer heat. But it seems to thrive in this location so I won't move it. You're farther north so I would think it could handle quite a bit of sun for you.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

My Fallen Angel gets morning sun then is in dappled shade from a very old oak tree. It is on the southeast side of this tree. It is only the second year for me, so this spring I thought it was kinda sick looking. I know :oops: , it's suppose to look that way when it first comes up. I planted it very late last fall so I didn't know what to think. It is doing very well now and is in very moist soil so far this year with all of the rain we have had. I don't have a current picture of it. If I think of it I will try to post one this week. I hurt my knee so am out of the hosta's for awhile.
Sue
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

You're welcome. Glad I could be of help. :)
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Canadian-hosta-girl

SUEDIA wrote:My Fallen Angel gets morning sun then is in dappled shade from a very old oak tree. It is on the southeast side of this tree. It is only the second year for me, so this spring I thought it was kinda sick looking. I know :oops: , it's suppose to look that way when it first comes up. I planted it very late last fall so I didn't know what to think. It is doing very well now and is in very moist soil so far this year with all of the rain we have had. I don't have a current picture of it. If I think of it I will try to post one this week. I hurt my knee so am out of the hosta's for awhile.
Sue
thanks suedia , my friend who is dividing it for me as it in morning sun i think too , will ask her when i pick up my hostas tomorow ....

i didnt know if these types of hostas neeeded shade more as it is cooler and that way maybe keep their colors longuer ? or if they needed more sun to boost the growth more since they come up white or pale....i have good morning sun from rise up till almost 11 in some hosta beds here ....
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I think the ones with more green/less chlorophyll need better light, but you have to find the right spot because the white can melt out or look bad if it's too intense. WWT will green up as the leaves mature, but the newer leaves will be more white. Although one year it was much greener & I didn't like it nearly as well.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply