Leaves as mulch

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
eastwood2007

Leaves as mulch

Post by eastwood2007 »

I think we've talked about this before, but I can't find it....

Can you use dried leaves for mulch for hosta beds?

If so..
-do they need to be shredded or can they be left whole?
-do you mulch around the hostas when they are leafed out?
-" " over the top of them after they've gone dormant? If so do you mulch over the crown?
-how deep to you put them?

I've heard that decomposing leaves draw the nitrogen out of the soil and you need to add some back. When would I do that?

We had such a wet winter last year...will leaves promote crown rot?

Thanks in advance for assistance! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Leaves as mulch

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Charla,

I used to use leaves as mulch at our old place all the time and it never hurt the hostas at all. We would pile up the leaves on top of the beds after the hostas were completely dormant and then shred them with our mulching mover, or for those beds that were harder to get the mower into, we would pile them up on the lawn then shred them with the mower and spread them out.

The only hostas that seemed to have a hard time poking up through the leaves the next spring were the minis, but they seemed to adjust fine.

As for the winter, a layer of mulch will actually help to insulate and keep the ground frozen better, avoiding much of the freeze/thaw cycle that damages plants, so the mulch should help.

We always do an application of Milorganite in the spring, just as the eyes start to poke up. It is a high nitrogen fertilizer that gives all the hostas a nice boost in the spring.

Hope that helps!

Chris
whip1

Post by whip1 »

Leaves or other mulch on top of the soil will not draw any nitrogen from the soil. The problem with nitrogen binding is when the mulch is mixed into the soil.

I've used leaves as mulch, and had really good results.
hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hostanquilts »

We have lots of oak & hickory nut trees & have a leaf vac & mulcher that we pull behind the lawn tractor & I was thinking about using the shredded leaves to put around the hosta. I was wondering, do I need to leave an inch around the base of the hosta like you would regular mulch, or is it ok to put them up agains the base of the hosta?
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
whip1

Post by whip1 »

hostanquilts wrote:We have lots of oak & hickory nut trees & have a leaf vac & mulcher that we pull behind the lawn tractor & I was thinking about using the shredded leaves to put around the hosta. I was wondering, do I need to leave an inch around the base of the hosta like you would regular mulch, or is it ok to put them up agains the base of the hosta?
I just pile the leaves on the entire bed. I've never had a problem.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I live on a windy hilltop, and most of my leaves end up blowing away. I use my lawn mower to chop them up and blow them towards the flower beds, and also get bags of shredded leaves every year from Dad's house in town. I put them on as they come out of the bag, except when the sycamore leaves start falling. Somehow those don't get shredded very well, and have to go in the compost for a while. I've also use composted leaves as a spring mulch. They don't hurt the hostas at all. I have a vole problem from time to time, so I don't like to put them on too thick, and give the critters more hiding places.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

One thing I really like aboout a leaf mulch is how much earthworm activity it encourages.
Every day a new adventure!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

When my hosta were in the ground instead of pots I let the leaves lay where they fell every fall. Since my hosta were all planted under trees, they made a nice 2 inch blanket over the top of the ground. I would rake them off in early spring before the hosta came up, and leave them in a big pile for awhile, just in case a frost came along, then I could just take handfuls of the leaves and put them right back on top of the emerging hosta. Now that they are in pots, I don't have to worry about frosts, I can just pick up the whole plant and put it in the shed :lol:
So if you have leaves use those baby's!

Ginger
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Chris you said "We always do an application of Milorganite in the spring".

I was wondering how much do you put on each plant? I have several hundred hosta & I was looking at the milorganite at Menard's the other day & it is almost $8 a bag; so I was wondering about how much per application so I can get an idea as to how many bags I'll need to get. Thought I might start this winter collecting it, so not so expensive all at one shot.
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Jan, Milorganite doesn't go ON the plants but on the soil and mulch. One bag goes a long way and it stays useable as long as it's kept dry. You could get it during one of Menard's 'bag sales' but it may not be available during the off-season. Maybe Lucy Goose would know if they stash it away for the winter.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Jan, I have about 250 hostas and I don't go thru a 50lb. bag of Milorganite for one feeding. I do sprinkle it around the base of the hostas...not sure how much, just 'some.' It is pretty mild so I haven't had any problem with burning or anything and my hostas do better with it than anything else I have used.

Thanks for all the tips on the leaves as mulch. I'm going to go leaf 'shopping' in town again this year! :wink:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

What I was planning on doing, was sprinkle it around the eyes about they time they are emerging in the spring (April/May) time frame and then possibly again in July.... don't know if that is over kill or not. Some of my hosta this year were really smaller then they were last year & I didn't get anything put on them this year except Miracle Grow that I put in the sparyer & sprayed on them several times.
I was gone July & August last summer, so they didn't get watered good or fertilized & I want to give them a good start next year.
Jan

remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply