Smashed hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
whip1

Smashed hosta

Post by whip1 »

I had to have some work done around the house, and a few of the hosta got run over by a truck.
It's late in the season, so I'm assuming they will be ok. Is there anything to do besides wait?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Smashed hosta

Post by Chris_W »

They will be fine, and sometimes when crowns get smashed it causes them to multiply even more. I wouldn't worry about it at all :)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Was that picture just taken? I'm impressed with how green everything is in your pic. Seems like just about everything is going down here now. Not too many green hostas in my yard. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Yes, They will be just fine. :D The electric company ran over two of mine several years ago and they didn't miss a beat. This summer, they had to replace a section of underground cable again and I dug up the two hostas they ran over last time. I'm afraid they took a worse beating by being dug up than when they were run over. It was very hot and they sat out of the ground for quite a while before I got them replanted. I'll have to wait and see how they look in the spring. The kicker is that the equipment never even touched the spot where the hostas were planted. The tracks went around the bed missing the spots where they would have been.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

newtohosta-no more wrote:Was that picture just taken? I'm impressed with how green everything is in your pic. Seems like just about everything is going down here now. Not too many green hostas in my yard. :???:
I was wondering (and envious) of the same thing. Nothing left here but brown and yellow mush :(
whip1

Post by whip1 »

Thanks guys. I figured they would be ok. They'll be buried under leaves in a few weeks anyways.

The picture was taken on Friday, 10-24. My yard is kind of odd. I have a few spots that still look as good as they did in the spring, and other spots that have gone down completly for the season. You can see in the picture how most of the ferns are already gone. This is back in one of the far corners of my yard, and I rarely water back there.Image I can't explain it.
New Topic Post Reply