Sick August Moons

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Sick August Moons

Post by govgirl75 »

I have three August Moon planted along the driveway.
The first two receive direct sun until about noon and then fall into the shade of a dense magnolia tree. These two are affected by whatever it is.
The third gets little or no direct sun and is in the shade most of the day. It looks pretty healthy.
I thought the first two might have been getting some sun scald but the second one is more affected than the first and the first gets more sun than the second.
These guys have been in the bed for 4 years.
Any ideas on what is wrong and what I need to do?
Thanks!
Attachments
Hosta #1 gets most sun.
Hosta #1 gets most sun.
Hosta #1- some leaves are shriveled and on the ground
Hosta #1- some leaves are shriveled and on the ground
IMG_0016.jpg (45.53 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Hosta #2 is not looking good at all
Hosta #2 is not looking good at all
Hosta #2 still not looking good.
Hosta #2 still not looking good.
IMG_0018.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Hosta #3 is in the shade most of the time
Hosta #3 is in the shade most of the time
hostanquilts

Re: Sick August Moons

Post by hostanquilts »

I'm not expert, but could it be crown rot/Southern Blight? Do the leaves pull way from the base easily? Here is a link to the Hosta Library that has pictures. http://www.hostalibrary.org/diseases/Blight.html
Hope it isn't, but at least this will give you a fair idea.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Gloria,

I would lean towards one of two things: 1) really dry conditions, possibly with tree root competition or 2) like Jan mentioned, I would check for Southern Blight. If the leaves pull away really easily and there is some fuzzy stuff down at the base you will want to treat with a fungicide. If not, you might dig around and see if the soil is drier than you thought, then water deeply a couple times a week to encourage some new roots to grow.

Keep us posted to what you find, and good luck.

Chris
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Thanks for your advice, Chris and Jan.
I went out and tugged on those leaves and they are firmly attached to the plants. I did not see anything different about the bases of either plant. Despite rain yesterday, the ground does seem dry, so I will try loosening the soil around the plants and water well. We'll see what develops.
Thanks again :D
Gloria
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hi,
I agree; intense sun and dry. I let the hose run at a trinkle for several hours; to water deeply. Did you trim any branches on the Magnolia? that could also be the sudden burn.
Be part of the solution
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

No, nothing different about the bed at all. I am a habitual waterer. I water an inch in each bed every week that we do not have at least an inch of rain.
I use the bed beneath the magnolia as a holding bed for potted up plants, so that bed probably gets a little more. But I have been thinking that maybe the reflection off the hot driveway may have either cooked the plants a little or dried the earth out more than in the shadier area. At any rate, they are watered and have been given half strength fertilizer. We will see what happens. Again, thanks for all your input.
Glo
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hello, I think you are right on the "driveway refection". It's a whole new world next to a surfaced driveway or light colored house. We spent three months on the west side of a huge three story WHITE home working w/ huge stones and several tiers/patios of brick, which increases the heat even more; it was damn hot all the time.
later
Be part of the solution
nimblewill

Post by nimblewill »

Actually, you got off easy. I'm down to two varieties - "Regular" and "Extra Crispy."

I agree with the comments about sun, driveway heat and dryness, but there has been another factor at work here in central Ohio this year. I suspect that you may have experienced the same condition as here. WIND. We've had two episodes of high winds over a two or three day period this year, and each time you could see an immediate decline in the hostas. The most recent time we also had low humidity, bright sun and temperatures in the mid- to upper- eighties, but we have had those conditions on many days without major damage. Even though my plants were well watered, the roots couldn't seem to pump enough water to the leaves. Next time, I may try running a sprinkler during the day. Things couldn't look much worse.
Bill

Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. ~Lou Erickson
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Wind. I had not considered that. We did have some days that were windy enough to cause some wilting in my well watered container gardens. I was stymied about that but the plants did not crisp up, just looked a bit sad and recovered a few days later. The sprinkler thing sounds like a good idea.
Thanks.
Glo
New Topic Post Reply