THANK YOU Chris and Brian for a lovely visit!!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hey_J

THANK YOU Chris and Brian for a lovely visit!!

Post by Hey_J »

I have not posted here for a very LOOONG time, other than on one occasion a couple of months ago, but I just have to do more than the normal lurking, this time, to say a BIG THANK YOU to Chris and Brian for the lovely time we had at their place. :P

My husband granted me a 41st wedding anniversary wish/gift, of a hosta tour, mapped out by me that was to begin leaving home and heading toward the Cleveland area, and initially going to Wade Gatton, and Walters Gardens, meeting Dr. Dave, and hopefully see his gardens (at his gracious invite)visiting Peter Ruh's place (now closed for the season--sniff), Cahoons, Kuk's Garden and then heading northwest to get to Hallson's, and meet up with a couple other hosta buddies!

But, due to my hubby's very serious spinal/back/sciatica problem (that has suddenly flared up much worse than usual) the trip was postponed and then hastened up as we had a bit of a 'window' to carry out the second leg, first. We headed north from Dayton, Ohio and got to stay in the wonderful B&B, The Red Brick House, (that I know many of you are familiar with) which was one of the two great options Chris offered us!
We just love Sandy and Ron and our visit with Chris and Brian was so wonderful!

As if the visit, chatting and roaming Hallson's was not enough, Brian surprised me with a bowl of 'Dreamsicle' ice cream, topped with a cookie! How awesome is that! :D He and I had just been reminiscing the virtues of that particular combination, (the day before--hearing an ice cream truck in the distance) and I guess Chris surprised him by bringing some home. When Brian discovered it, (while I was chatting with Chris) he came out excitedly balancing a bowl of the *Dream..* to share with me. I was completed bowled over, as they can attest to! It will be a 'forever' memory for me (I'm calling it 'icing on the cake') that made it all so very special, being there with them!

All in all, the only complaint I have is that I think you SHOULD HAVE been able to do something about that heat and humidity, guys!! :roll: :bawl:
I mean REALLY---it was a very special occasion--our anniversary and all!! But, then again--I guess you did try to make up for it, with that bowl
of *Dream..* and, it really did help!!! :D

Again, coming out of the shadows, long enough to say that BIG *THANK YOU*
to Chris and Brian--for a wonderful memory of a wonderful anniversary gift, which included a chance to meet you and spend some time at your place--and, of course pick up some of your fantastic
hosta, and one of which will always remind me of our visit with you, both!!!!

:P *THANK YOU!!!* :P
Janice
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Re: THANK YOU Chris and Brian for a lovely visit!!

Post by JaneG »

Congratulations on your Anniversary!!! And kudos to Chris and Brian for their extraordinary hospitality, which seems to be the norm for them!!! (Still waiting for my first visit to their new place)
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

You're very welcome Janice. I'm glad you had an enjoyable time for your 41st anniversary, and it was great meeting you and Steve. Hopefully he will be feeling better very soon!

Take care and don't be a stranger around here so much!

Take care,

Chris
gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper »

Janice,I also have been having a rough time with sciatica been to all kinds of treatment and only real help so far has been The Pain Center and their steroid shots the give me almost 100% relief but last just a month.Some time when I am in the garden I scream out with pain from it and my wife has a fit as she worries the neighbors will think she is abusing me.
jgh

Post by jgh »

funny... sometimes when my wife abuses me I cry out in pain and she worries the neighbors will think I have sciatica...
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:beer: :beer: Janice!! I loved reading your post!!! Yep, that Brian is a card!! Love the boy!!! :lol: :lol: So glad you got to have such a nice visit with them!! Good for you!! But tell DH not too many of those shots......I think 2-3 a year?? They are bad for the bones......I hope he finds relief...... :beer: again for your fun visit!! :wink:
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Janice - congrats. I guess you JUST beat us in getting married - our 41st is today. And I'm hoping for a visit to Hallson's in September when we are out that direction.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
jgh

Post by jgh »

OK... you guys both beat us... our 40th on Aug. 30. But who was the youngest? I was 19...
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

We weren't that young. We both had graduate degrees under our belts.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

After meeting Janice I would say she has to be one of the youngest too. I kept thinking she must have been 18 or 19 when she was married in order to have a 41st already!
Hey_J

Post by Hey_J »

Oh, you guys AND gals--you're too funny! :lol:

And, Chris--you sure know how to get me to return with more cash in my pocket, next trip!! :P

Oh, and yeah, sure--I was only 12 yrs. old when we were married--it's a cultural thing, you know--in India
or someplace like that--where I grew up!! :wink:

Thank you all, for your kind words and the time you took to reading my posting! :D
Janice
Hey_J

Re:All the anniversaries close to ours in years and month!

Post by Hey_J »

Oh, and :beer: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY :beer: to you all!
You HAVE TO BE young at heart to be married so long and
still have energy left over, (enough) to share in a passion for
hosta, too!!!
:lol:
Janice
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Chris - WILL YOU be around on September 9? Unless I can give DH a good reason for detouring by your nursery, he won't do it. It's not far off our path, but a little bit. We'll cross the border at Sarnia and follow I69 down as far as Fort Wayne that day. Could head straight south from Lansing or, if the roads are good, take secondary roads before we get to Lansing.
Ann
New Topic Post Reply