New hostas we should be on the lookout for?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Scuba Dude
USDA Zone: 5

Re: New hostas we should be on the lookout for?

Post by Scuba Dude »

Hey Chris,

One more plant that I just ordered that I'm pretty excited about is H. "Fragrant Queen" this is the tetraploid sport of H. "Fragrant King" from Jan van den Top & Danny Van eechaute . This one has a much wider white margen and great substance. While I don't expect it to be a fast grower I think it will be worth the wait.

Kent
sugar

Post by sugar »

Scuba Dude wrote:Hey Chris,

One more plant that I just ordered that I'm pretty excited about is H. "Fragrant Queen" this is the tetraploid sport of H. "Fragrant King" from Jan van den Top & Danny Van eechaute . This one has a much wider white margen and great substance. While I don't expect it to be a fast grower I think it will be worth the wait.

Kent
I have been thinking of adding it to my list as well, but I haven't got it in my garden.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I have had High Society for a couple of years and really like it.

Fragrant Queen is slow. I have it sitting next to Fragrant Dream which has gotten really big and I'm going to have to cut some FD to stop it from crushing FQ.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

So Fragrant Queen is the green centered version of Sweet Innocence, basically. I do like Sweet Innocence, but yes, it can be slow to get going too.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I am liking, like many here, Pistache, Dancing Queen, Waving Wuffles, Razor's Edge, my new mouse ear family members, Atlantis is growing very well, and Shimmy Shake is proving to be an eye catcher. I have had them for only a few weeks though.

Older ones that are performing well in my Southern Garden, despite last year's neglect include Rosedale Misty Magic, which has wonderful stripes, Lullabye, Stepping Out, and Barbara May. My Lakeside San Kao is having a decent year, as are Ice Age Trail and Red Cadet. Little Red Rooster is multiplying well, and Whisky Sour really shone in the shade. It's leaf size was dramatically larger for me than previously.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Oh wow! I see some really amazing hostas! I sure wish I had a place for some more. I haven't purchased any this year since I still have some potted up waiting for a permanent home in my garden. I'm going to have to rethink this. I might need to squeeze in a couple this year at least. :lol:
Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics and the info. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I also just got ripple effect. I am a sucker for pointy leaves and the such. I love awakening angel, blue river (what a fast grower here), kinba (I really, really like the leaves and stems on that one), and I generally like the mouse sports and am in the process of trying to make a bed devoted to them. I also like all of kent's hostas and just got dancing queen and am trolling for more.
I am also making a mini bed with miniature fairy items in it for the grandkids (ok, and me, to play with). I like the true minis and plan to put a bonsai type japanese maple in there with teeny tiny conifers and spruces and the such.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Cheryl,

I'm growing a little arborvitae called Teddy that is the cutest little thing. Might have too many roots for a mini hosta garden, but it is supposed to only get 2' x 2' though can be sheared to keep it smaller too. Sorry, a little off topic ;)

Chris
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Chris - I saw a couple of pictures of Paradise Island and even though all the vendors said the same thing "It's jsut the edged version of Fire Island" the more I thought about it, the more I thought that would be a fantastic hosta for serious people and casual gardeners alike. Whats not to love about a bright yellow with sharp green edges and bright red petioles?

I am planning to put mine in a container, but I think it is going to be a fantastic plant in the long run.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Alexa,

Paradise Island is already one of my favorites and I hope that we can get some more going here. We have a batch coming up for next season but I've dug a couple for some who aren't all that patient ;) Sometimes the bright spring yellows can be susceptible to frost and early spring drought damage. But you put a green edge on it and that always makes the leaves more robust.

Thanks for the discussion!

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I lost my Paradise Island......my fault, too. :(
sugar

Post by sugar »

caliloo wrote:Chris - I saw a couple of pictures of Paradise Island and even though all the vendors said the same thing "It's jsut the edged version of Fire Island" the more I thought about it, the more I thought that would be a fantastic hosta for serious people and casual gardeners alike. Whats not to love about a bright yellow with sharp green edges and bright red petioles?

I am planning to put mine in a container, but I think it is going to be a fantastic plant in the long run.

Alexa
There's another nice point for Fire Island. put it in deep shade and you get a very nice deep green with an even darker green edge and red petioles.

II have been visiting the nursery of Jan Van den Top this week-end, where he was showing his 2010 introductions (some of them got a spot in my garden), with some nice, container grown demo-plants

Hidden Treasure, One Man's Treasure with a white edge
One Man's Treasure being an outstanding, plant, this one will prpobbaly be also a very good hosta. I'm personally not on to green with red petioles and white edges, so it is not really my cup of tea

Justine, a tetraploid June Fever
I was always going to buy June Fever one day, but I now purchased the improved version of it. Plant has great substance and a nice variegation, and will probably grow just as well as all other (tetraploid) Halcyons.

Secret Ambition, tetraploide Secret Love
Last edited by sugar on Jun 23, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by gardengirl13 »

sugar wrote: - Prairie Moon

lovely I'd buy this one!

- Rhino Hide

another that I'd buy

- Half and Half

very nice

- Pistache

another nice one

- Awakening Angel

nice too!

- Purple Haze

Oh i'd love this one for my music garden I'm working on for next year!
I love all the ones you have here, but these are my most favorites!

Chris, sorry I'm not up to date on new stuff, but if i see anything fun I'll pass it on!
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
jgh

Post by jgh »

OK... I always think I have enough hostas... no need to keep looking for new ones... but that Justine really knocks my socks off... I love June Fever, but that margin is pretty slight and variable, so a stronger margin on a Halcyon-heritage plant lacking the wax gene so it has that bright shiny surface like its parent June Fever and its grandparent, Devon Green... that seems like something special.

Secret Treasure is also very cool - One Man's is a very good plant, fast and easy... so this one should be a keeper as well...
sugar

Post by sugar »

jgh wrote: Chris has Little Jay - sold out right now. I had some inconsistency in the LJ stock last year, and they were very cute, but not as strong as I would like. We'll see how they develop. But they will have to compete with what is marketed as the improved, tetraploid version, Little Treasure. I have no idea how fast each will grow and how they will compare as mature plants - I'll grow both for a while to see... but in the meantime, Little Treasure looked great as young single-eyed plants in the pots this year - people were very attracted to it, even if they weren't knowlegeable hosta folks.
They are quit different, even when mature...
Little Jay

Little Treasure
sugar

Post by sugar »

jgh wrote: I am charmed by Hyuga Urajiro... but even offering it at a much reduced price, people were pretty underwhelmed. I think that will change. It's form is so elegant! No offense, Chris, but you pic shows the streaking but doesn't capture the elegant narrow tapered leaf. I haven't seen a mature clump, so maybe I'm falling in love with a juvenile that will change a lot as it matures - but right now... it is really cool. Chris has it listed for next year.

I couldn't resist this one last week... It's a streaked kikutti, so I guess those elongated leafs will stay...
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Tom,

Do you have the plant called "Hyuga Urajiro"? It looks just like your photo, and since the name "Hyuga Urajiro" isn't really correct for that plant I've been expecting it to be sold as something else eventually...
Don Rawson

Post by Don Rawson »

Two awesome hostas to be on the watch for: Radiant Star and Wings of a Prayer. I stopped at Hallsons earlier this year and WOW! (Chris is way too modest to mention these wonderful introductions here, but I can assure you they are outstanding.) Radiant Star is really nice...and Wings of a Prayer is a vast improvement over Praying Hands. That narrow snowwhite margin really stands out. Both will be nice additions to any hosta garden. All I can say is that I hope Chris has lots of them being tc'ed because I think they'll sell out fast once they hit the market!

Chris, please post some more pics!
sugar

Post by sugar »

Chris_W wrote:Hi Tom,

Do you have the plant called "Hyuga Urajiro"? It looks just like your photo, and since the name "Hyuga Urajiro" isn't really correct for that plant I've been expecting it to be sold as something else eventually...
I bought that plant about a week ago at Vandentop's nursery... under the name Hyuga Urajiro... When looking at the pictures posted on the Hosta Library, I see the same plant (pictures from Danny Van Eechaute and Don Dean...)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I saw a mature Hyuga Urajiro at Trudy's a couple of weeks ago.
The leaves might be slightly wider, but the plant[s] she had were stunning - big and full.
I loved it with all of that elegant streaking!! But she said she doesn't care for the long,
narrow leaf types. :???:

One that I got recently that I still haven't researched is 'Excitation' - very good looking,
greenish-blue margins and a nice white center with another lighter shade of green between
the 2. It caught my eye. Now I need to remember to look it up.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply