Hostas in Pots.....what next

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Hostas in Pots.....what next

Post by steg »

Last winter I had several hostas still in pots and no place to put all of them.

Some are in the ground - no problem.

Some are tipped on their side and buried in hay. I don't think I need to do anything to these either.

However, I have 1 in the garage and a number in our shed in the back yard. When should I bring them out and begin to water them. I now it's early now, but I'd like to be prepared.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Hostas in Pots.....what next

Post by kaylyred »

Steg, I have the same question. I have some potted minis that I pulled onto our screened porch as winter approached. They've been sheltered some, but the snow still blows in there occasionally so I covered them with a board to prevent snow/ice buildup. Since we're still getting snow as of today (grrrr!) and the ground is still frozen I've left them alone. I'm not sure when I should try giving them some moisture or when to take them back out into the world and away from the shelter of the porch.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I would bring them out when likelihood of heavy frost has passed (late April in Ohio?) and leave it up to Mother Nature to water them. Too much water is worse than letting them go without until they break dormancy.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

There are several articles on "over-wintering potted plants / hostas" included in the ROHS (Russ O'Hara Hosta Society) new on-line newsletter. Reldon has done an excellent job of putting the newsletter together and into a pdf form. I believe an article on the subject is included by Chris Wilson.

Check it out @ http://www.rohs.org I think you will find all the info you need.

MM
steg

Post by steg »

Thanks everyone.... :beer:

I have several tipped on the ground and covered. Haven't checked on them yet. Several buried in the ground - not too concerned.

However, I have one in the garage and several more in the outdoor shed. Temps look to remain above freezing for at least the next 10 days. I'm thinking I may need to begin to water them, but leave them in the garage and shed.

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

That's what I would do :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ThisIsMelissa
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by ThisIsMelissa »

Part of the problem with watering them when they're indoors is that they're not getting any sunlight, or at least not adequate sunlight.
I would be more inclined to move them outdoors and protect them from getting too much water. If the crown sits in water/ice, you run the risk of rotting the crown.
What I learned (the hard way) is that it's not about the temperature, so much, as it is about keeping the crown dry until break of dormancy.
Melissa's Hosta Lists
My gardening blog

PS: Hubby and I are hoping to ADOPT & we need your help.
If you hear of someone considering placing a baby for adoption, please refer them to us: Our Adoption Blog
steg

Post by steg »

That's a good point. Gives me an idea though......

I may just set my plant stand (also in shed) in the doorway of the shed an open the door for a couple hours each day or so????? That way they'll get some sun too. Then if it gets really cold again, as it probably will, I can keep the door shut. At least this way I wouldn't have to move them in and out. Way to many for that in the shed having just looked again. :eek:

:hmm:

What to do, what to do.....

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

No eyes yet- let them stay
When they get some real noses, they need some sort of light. Sunlight or light tubes
They will not get enough´light a foot or too from the door

hoping for an early spring :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

ThisIsMelissa wrote:Part of the problem with watering them when they're indoors is that they're not getting any sunlight, or at least not adequate sunlight.
I would be more inclined to move them outdoors and protect them from getting too much water. If the crown sits in water/ice, you run the risk of rotting the crown.
What I learned (the hard way) is that it's not about the temperature, so much, as it is about keeping the crown dry until break of dormancy.
I agree with this completely, especially in your zone. I've had many a hosta make it till mid April even, then the freezing and thawing in the pot causes crown rot. Leave them dry until they start putting out leaves and start to grow. Much safer to keep them over dry than risk it.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
steg

Post by steg »

Well, some of them are already starting to pop out some eyes. The one in the garage (Cutting Edge) has 13 visible eyes as of this morning. Some in the shed are also popping now. I think the last several days have really helped get them going.

Sounds like it'll just be a lot of work and weather watching over the next month or so. It's easy enough for me to move the pots out of the shed so they get enough light and then if the weather looks like it'll get cold - in the 30's?? :hmm: - then I can move them back in for the night or a couple days if necessary.

It is nice to see something coming up. However, I am worried about losing some from rot over the next month or so. Even if I should lose 1 or 2, it certainly isn't then end of the world. Considering some recent events, it's nothing.

Like I said, maybe just a lot of work to watch and be careful with over the next month or so. :wink:

Thanks all.

Mike

New Topic Post Reply