Eyes

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Eyes

Post by thy »

It was a lovely day today so iwas out in the garden weeding and there they were .. the first eyes on L. Surfrider. I do not know why it is the first just know it have been in several years. It is soo good to see those fat eyes peeking up. L. Surfrider have become one of my favorite hostas during the last years.

Sure, this is Denmrk, rain all day tomorrow and then it will cool down, but no frosts in the forecasts :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jgh

Re: Eyes

Post by jgh »

happy day! Most of my gardens are still under lots of snow... glad you are seeing those eyes! And I think Lakeside Surfrider is a very attractive hosta...
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Pia, I took a walk yesterday, too, and saw a few hosta eyes just breaking the surface. It does give you hope to see them!
I'll have to go out today and see if I can see any on Lakeside Surfrider.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Still no eyes here, but the snow is gone from most of my front garden and half of my back garden. :) :D
I AM seeing lots of crocus foliage poking up and I have a Frittilaria that's up about 15 cm.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I have some recifolia in a northern facing location that are up about 5 inches. Others around are just nubs so far.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

Pia,

We all share your delight at seeing some eyes poking through the ground. Spring is indeed a special time of year that tries even the most patient gardener!

I have a question that I'm sure many of you can answer. Why is it that some of my hostas' eyes exhibit a fibrous ring around the base, sorta like a hula skirt while others don't? Are those with the 'hula skirts' planted too shallowly?

Thanks for the advice,
Kevin
Rob
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by Rob »

Almost all plants are showing eyes over here (in Dutch we call them "neuzen" (noses)).
"Here" is Belgium, near Antwerp.
Some plants are already leafed out, so there's a lot going on every day.
Best of all, no night frost within the next 14 days is expected.
Looks like we're in fot the best spring in years.
Visit my garden on www.hostamill.be/ENG
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Schattenfreude wrote:Pia,

We all share your delight at seeing some eyes poking through the ground. Spring is indeed a special time of year that tries even the most patient gardener!

I have a question that I'm sure many of you can answer. Why is it that some of my hostas' eyes exhibit a fibrous ring around the base, sorta like a hula skirt while others don't? Are those with the 'hula skirts' planted too shallowly?

Thanks for the advice,
Kevin
Kevin, I think those little fibers around some eyes are from last year's petioles, but they don't develop on all hostas (maybe some leaves are thicker, more fibrous). If an eye is a new side shoot there wasn't anything growing there, so no fibers. If it is still growing well and the eye is of good size I wouldn't worry about the depth. If all of the eyes are showing and you have tons of small eyes instead of a handful of really large ones then it could be too shallow. If your soil is well aerated and well draining then the eyes should be completely covered when dormant.

Hope that helps.

Chris (who is excited to see eyes, but not too soon ;) )
thy

Post by thy »

Hula skirts :wink:

So now they have hula skirts, eyes and noses, fingers and a belly andthey can grow legs - are we talking about our pets here :lol:

Good to hear from you Rob. Wich ones was the first ones to leaf out ?

Here a lot have heaved from the soil.. do not know if it is due to al the added compost, the sandy soil, the cold winther or... My entire country is moved south, sure is 10 foot due to the Japan earthquake... giving them something to talk about in the area bordering to Germany.

Pia
Rob
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by Rob »

Hello Thy,

the first ones to really show leaves here are:
H. 'Mieke' and H. 'Garnet Prince', with H. lancifolia not far behind.

This made me realize H. 'Mieke' has to be a H. lancifolia sport or seedling.
It is a cultivar my father in law bought more than 30 years ago, the name suggests it is of Belgian origin.
Looks stunning in spring (if there's no night frost a real show stopper in April, May, beginning of June), pale yellow with a narrow green edge, but by mid summer I always feel the urge to toss it (shiny, green, ugly).
There is a picture of mine on the Hosta Library.

Greetings, Rob
Visit my garden on www.hostamill.be/ENG
thy

Post by thy »

It is lovely..dont you think it need to be tested up north - In Denmark :-? :D :D :D :D
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

I was out doing some cleanup today and found that 'Francee' just barely has pips showing. She's usually the first to wake up because she's situated in a corner with sidewalk on two sides so the ground stays warmer. A little warm weather like we're expecting next week and things should really start taking off here in zone 5. It's been a long time coming. Hooray, spring! :D
Last edited by kaylyred on Apr 09, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Happy, happy, joy, joy!!! :D I love hearing that eyes are popping up. I went for a walk in the front yard today and was surprised to see several with eyes. I'll bet there are more but some are still covered with oak leaves. I'm not hurrying to clear them away because I know the resident rabbit is thrilled. ***Smorgasbord*** :evil:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I have eyes (or neuzen for Rob) here in NW Illinois. I saw a few peeking through 2 days ago; yesterday a few more,
and overnight last night a bunch more appeared and the ones that were up already shot up another couple of inches.
We're in for some really warm weather today (it's 70 at 8:30 in the morning!) and then some thunderstorms later
tonight. There'll be no keepin' down then!

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

It's 81 here right now in Southeast Wisconsin. Joy! :D

With the moisture and the warmth (and continued 60s next week) I'm sure things will be greening up and budding and growing like crazy over the next week. Plus, one of my favorite local nurseries (which usually carries a reasonably good selection of hostas and heucheras) opens for the season on Thursday. Can't wait! :beer:

And I get to go on an excursion to the zoo with my photography class (I started a class on nature and landscape photography a couple weeks ago). The weather so far looks to be warm and agreeable. That should be fun, too.

Oh, and a Hosta Society meeting on Thursday, as well. A good week all 'round coming up! :bd:
~ Karen

See my little hosta list
hostamanphil
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hostamanphil »

Kaylyred-hosta society meeting is Wednesday this month .Hate to see you show up on the wrong day.Phil
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

Oops, that's right. And I should know...I put it in the newsletter. I have it written down, but I wasn't thinking when I wrote my post. :-?
~ Karen

See my little hosta list
New Topic Post Reply