Help with ID's

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Help with ID's

Post by ogrefcf »

Have a couple Hosta's that I don't know what they are any help IDing them would be great. First is a little guy. One of the first I planted. Don't even remember when.

Second I got from a friend a couple weeks ago when she split her's. She just knew they were Hostas.

Leaf shot.

And one I thought died and came back strong. I think it might be the same as the one above.

Leaf.

Thanks!
Owen
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Help with ID's

Post by redcrx »

A young Blue Cadet hit me for the first one.

I can't place the second - but it is a nice plant.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

Maybe Popo and Earth Angel.
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

It was planted by a Earth Angel ( Well that's what it was sold to me as). I didn't know this one was here when I planted the EA and got a suprise. I think they look a bit different . I do think the small one is a Popo, thanks!

Owen
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

How ironic that it was planted right next to Earth Angel. Yes, the one on the left is Earth Angel. The other might just be Wide Brim. And boy, that first one really does look like Popo :)
jgh

Post by jgh »

My first thought was Wide Brim as well... nice plant, ridiculously cheap in wholesale... very popular years back and sort of ignored nowadays, surpassed by newer plants with catchier names that are really no better than the original. It suffers from a couple of things... some people mentally associate it with the loser hosta Brim Cup and I had one batch of Wide Brim some years back that didn't seem to have the vigor of most of the plants I've grown. I think that just seems to happen - somebody puts out some poor wholesale plants, maybe a weak tc strain, and a hosta picks up a poor reputation unfairly...
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Thanks guys! I really like both of em. Now to figure out which one to move.
Owen
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

It's funny, when I see those "yellow" slashes on a leaf I think of Unforgettable.

I never think of Wide Brim until I trip over in in my garden and say "What the heck is that."
Here is the same plant from different angles two weeks ago.
Attachments
Wide Brim  May 17, 2011
Wide Brim May 17, 2011
Wide Brim  May 17, 2011
Wide Brim May 17, 2011
Last edited by redcrx on Aug 26, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
jgh

Post by jgh »

About "Popo" - sounds like that rings a bell in your mind. I'd say your plant is a dead ringer for Tot Tot as well. An awful lot of cute little green plants like that that have names and usually share some venusta in the heritage. I've probably had a dozen random seedlings in my garden that I could have marked Popo or Tot Tot or ... and nobody would have questioned the tag... nice little things... tough as nails and reliable and cute, with some character...
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

Not so sure with the first 2 but the last one deffo wide brim maybe brim cup see if it gets the drawstring effect then it deffo brim cup
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Angel3K »

The first one looks like my Hosta Salute.
New Topic Post Reply