Need Sport Advice

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Need Sport Advice

Post by Aud »

My Sum & Substance is sporting can someone give me advice of when should you remove the Sport, (Spring, Summer, Fall)?

Also, I have looked to see if it is one eye has changed but it looks like it is one or two leaves have changed but not one eye. Should I still divide it as a sport or wait until maybe there is a solid eye sport?

Thank you.

I cannot get a good pic. But the sporting leaves are blue with a yellow edge.

Last edited by Aud on Jun 02, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Need Sport Advice

Post by Chris_W »

Personally, if it is just a few leaves on one eye I won't touch it. Any dormant buds that develop on that side of that eye should be the whole sport, but I usually wait to see a whole eye before chopping anything off, though if it is an outer eye that is really easy to get to you could isolate it now to keep watching it.

If you are going to divide it the best time is in spring or summer. Hostas don't grow any new roots in the fall so you risk losing it if divided then. I do all of my dividing in July and August so they have time to grow new roots before winter.

So what kind of sport is it? Anything new?
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Quick question if ya don't mind, but whats a sport or sporting? Is it when a new plant grows off separate from the main clump? Sorry for the thread hijack.
Owen
Aud

Post by Aud »

Thanks Chris. It is a monster I have had it for 10 years. I posted a pic after I posted the question. It is nothing new I do not think.

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

ogrefcf wrote:Quick question if ya don't mind, but whats a sport or sporting? Is it when a new plant grows off separate from the main clump?
Here's the definition from the AHS web site: "SPORT – an individual arising from the result of mutation or chimeral rearrangement that is genotypically or phenotypically different from the original individual." Ha!

Here's the definition from the old Hosta FAQ:
Sport - A mutation from a mother plant, hopefully to something more interesting! Sports usually denote a change in leaf color/form ('June' is a sport of 'Halcyon'), but may refer to different flowers as well ('Aphrodite' is a double-flowered sport of plantaginea).
Lots of other newbie information here: http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2007 ... fault.view The archives are a little slow to load. I still hope to move all this good info to somewhere useful.

David
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Cannot "sports" also apply to changes in size? Sometime the plant looks much the same but is noticeably smaller or larger.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Aud

Post by Aud »

Viola, I think if it is noticeably smaller something is wrong. That would not be a sport. Maybe someone knows better than me. When ever one of my hostas started to get smaller they were not long until they were dead. :roll:
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Hmmm... I can't come up with any definitive examples of "sporting" to a truly different size unless there is a change in chromosome ploidy, although there are some claims that 'Blue Mouse Ears' is a sport of 'Blue Cadet' (where both are diploid).
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Chris_W wrote:Hostas don't grow any new roots in the fall so you risk losing it if divided then. I do all of my dividing in July and August so they have time to grow new roots before winter.
Bob Solberg will tell you that hostas have two flushes of root growth, spring and fall. I do not divide after June 1st because 1. I lose more divisions to rot once hot weather arrives (maybe there is no hot weather where you are?) and 2. dividing after the plants are fully leafed out makes a mess of them for the rest of the season whereas dividing while just coming out of dormancy results in plants that look untouched.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply