Sun and Heat-Resistant Hostas in My Garden

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
GrannyNanny

Sun and Heat-Resistant Hostas in My Garden

Post by GrannyNanny »

As I've mentioned before, the north and east sides of my house got much more sun than I'd anticipated, and many of them were severely fried in spite of the watering I did. However, there were others that surprised me by coming through this baking summer virtually unscathed. Furthermore, most of them were NOT, as I'd have thought, the yellow ones, which are reputed to be able to stand much more sun. The ones on the east side of the house got constant sun nearly all day long; those in the front received some respite toward the end of the day. I've just been out this morning taking pics of the ones that still look really good; I thought that it might be a handy reference for anyone who wants to plant hostas in a sunnier-than-normal location. Have a look -- Phyllis
PS I've identified them as growing on either the east or the north side.
Attachments
Sum and Substance -- north side
Sum and Substance -- north side
Striptease - east side in the very sunniest location!
Striptease - east side in the very sunniest location!
Web-9-7-Striptease.jpg (115.6 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
Silk Kimono - east side
Silk Kimono - east side
Regal Splendor east side
Regal Splendor east side
Paradigm - east side
Paradigm - east side
GrannyNanny

Re: Sun and Heat-Resistant Hostas in My Garden

Post by GrannyNanny »

Heat resistant hostas continued -- Dark Matter and Prairie Lightning are mine - they were both registered a couple of years ago. Dark Matter should be a nearly-black hosta, but look at what the heat and sun did to the color!
Attachments
Prairie Lightning -- north side
Prairie Lightning -- north side
Dark Matter - north side, and dark no longer!
Dark Matter - north side, and dark no longer!
Old Glory -- in the hotspot on the east side
Old Glory -- in the hotspot on the east side
NIght Before Christmas - east side
NIght Before Christmas - east side
Dark star - North side
Dark star - North side
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Just one more-- Now, do any of you have additions to this list of hostas that can take a beating in the heat? If so, I'd love to see them. Phyllis
Attachments
Blue Arrow --North side  This one was never so lovely in my old house's garden.
Blue Arrow --North side This one was never so lovely in my old house's garden.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thank you for those pics. Like you, I have some hostas on the east side of the house and they used to do very well, But in the last couple of years, there's been too much reflection off the house next door - maybe 12 feet away. Both houses have white aluminum siding on these facing walls and the hostas have been fried as a result.

I have some pics of what I have there, but they are on my other computer. But 'June' did quite well as did a small division of 'Whirlwind' and 'Mack the Knife'. 'Aristocrat' was totally fried and this year lost all its blue very early.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Am bumping this up, hoping to get some more nominations for heat and sun resistant hostas. Phyllis
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

By far, 'Invincible' has been the all around best performer for me in full sun. It doesn't look it's greatest in this picture. It was hit really hard with frost earlier and the leaves came out sort of crunched up. Now it is looking nearly perfect, although I haven't taken a new pic.(I also got rid of that weed that was growing in it too!)

Also, "Alex Summers'. This one is becoming my very favorite. I grow it in full sun for most of the day and it gets some shade in the early morning and late afternoon.

I also grow the following in nearly full sun...
Fried Bananas, Shade Fanfare, Midas Touch, Sum of All, Rosedale Golden Goose, Teaspoon, Blonde Elf, Tyler's Treasure, Ryan's Big One, Banana Muffins, Whirlwind.

I picked out some new ones this year with sunnier spots in mind. Far too early to tell how they will all do, but so far I think 'Winter Snow', 'Cold Heart', 'Bumblebee', and 'Irish Luck' are going to be really good ones.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

For sun tolerance, think "fragrant", first and foremost. S&S is also known to be very tolerant, as are sports of it ('Winter Snow' and 'Sum of All' were mentioned). That said, sun-tolerance is closely related to available moisture, so if you can keep hostas in the sun well watered, there are many more that will fare well.

Phyllis, are you sure that is 'Old Glory'? Maybe it looks like that in the sun, but not here.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

This year it is tough for me to judge which ones are really all that sun tolerant because the early warm up and late frost devastated many of my plants, especially those that were more exposed, so those never looked that great. One notable exception was Rainbow's End. Not only did it mostly survive the frost it also took over 4 hours of direct midday sun and looked fantastic.

In past years, though, some that have shown great sun tolerance are repeats of yours: Night Before Christmas, Paradigm, Dark Star, Alex Summers, plus Fried Bananas, Praying Hands, June Fever, Rainforest Sunrise, Diamond Tiara, Francee, Key West, and even Blue Mammoth though it became a dull green late in the summer.
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

Mine contributions to this list is Amy Elizabeth, Gold Standard, Plantaginea, and Stained Glass. I may add City Lights later on, right now it is very small. Abiqua Moonbeam also takes sun very well in my garden. Also just moved Dancing Queen into more sun as it totally greened up on me from the lack of sun.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

Chris, I agree with you on Rainbow's End. That is one that continues to really impress me. It looks just as good now as it did earlier in the season. Mine gets more shade, but a fair amount of sun after 2:00pm. I think I added this one to my garden two years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one moving up in the popularity polls. It's a "must have" for sure! (The larger one next to it is Paradise Power.)
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thanks, Chris. I might consider moving 'Rainbow's End' or 'Rainforest Sunrise' into my problem spot and see how they do.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

The ones I listed received at least seven hours a day of direct sun, so they are truly sun-resistant. I think I mentioned before that the ones that took all the heat and sun also developed enormous root systems -- probably because they were reaching out for every last drop of moisture! Phyllis
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

Nothing on my property gets 7 straight hours of sun.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I didn't INTEND for mine to get that much, either. I assumed (lesson here: never assume) that since the strip along the side of the house was on the east side, and since we have a very tall house on the east side of us that would shade it in the morning, that that strip would get sun only for a few hours a day and would be shaded by either that neighbor's house or mine for the rest of the time. WRONG! In the summer, the sun is at such an angle that it gets onto that east side of the house by about 9 AM, and doesn't go behind our house until after 3 --so the hostas are in blazing sun during the hottest part of the day. I've now moved all the Crispy Critters to a more shaded spot, and left the ones I listed here, plus a few more, where they are to see what next summer brings. Again -- never assume anything when it comes to gardening!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Victoria nail it:
That said, sun-tolerance is closely related to available moisture, so if you can keep hostas in the sun well watered, there are many more that will fare well.

The wax may disapear on the blue ones, edges and centers where white,... other wise I can give all of them full day sun... if they get enough/ plenthy of water.
The sun is in general not the problem, they just want more water.. lots of water

Some one have to have a serious talk to the genous hosta about water bills :(
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

Granny,

It sounds like you have an ideal spot for roses on the east side of your house! :)

Kevin in KC
New Topic Post Reply