Regal Splendor placement?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Regal Splendor placement?

Post by party_music50 »

Hi all! I'm happy to say that ONLY my Fragrant Bouquet got eaten by the hard frost here last night -- not that I wanted to lose that, but it got uncovered by something (probably a cat) during the night.

My question regards the placement of my Regal Splendor... I've grown it in a pot for many years w/ a southern exposure (in upstate NY!) on a covered deck with some dappled tree shade. Hence, it's used to some strong sunlight and seems to really like it there. It's getting too big for a pot and needs to go into the ground though and I'm thinking of placing it in a full eastern exposure. Will it like that?

I also wanted to tell you about my Great Expectations... it was also grown for many years in a gallon size pot on that same deck. I was trying to keep it cramped because of what I had read here. Last year I decided I had the perfect location for it -- in the same eastern exposure I mentioned above. It started coming up the other day and I think it likes the location because it has twice as many eyes! BTW: that perlite mix is just some excess potting mix I dumped there the other day, and that rogue ox-eye daisy next to it is gone! lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Regal Splendor placement?

Post by kaylyred »

My 'Regal Splendor' has grown like gangbusters in a pretty significant amount of shade. It gets mostly dappled light, with a (very) brief period of direct sun in the late afternoon. It's gone from 8 eyes in 2011 to 16 in 2012, and looks like it has 26 this season. I'm not complaining.

The only thing I think you might experience is maybe a period of sulking over the change in location as the hosta reacclimates. But 'Regal Splendor' is such a good grower, my guess is that it wouldn't pout very dramatically. ;)
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

My Regal Splendor did very well in its original location, but when I expanded the garden, I moved it to be (I thought at the time) the centrepiece of the new garden. It sulked for a couple of years, even though the soil was better, before it finally decided it liked the new location.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

yikes. I didn't expect to hear that! It is still potted and the eyes are up only enough to be *starting* to unfurl, so it is just starting to grow for the season. Maybe I'll leave it in the pot again afterall...
~~~ Audrey ~~~
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I think it will be fine if you plant it in its new location. Dig a big hole!
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

If its going from a pot to the ground I don't see it pouting much. I would go for it. Sad to hear that moving it makes it pout. I just moved mine a couple days ago to a better location. (at least for me to appreciate its beauty)
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Let's all hope that mine pouting was an exception.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks for the input, everyone! It sounds like RS doesn't care where you put it as long as you leave it once it's in the ground.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

I moved one of my RS on a hot summer day a few years ago. Took me like an hour to wrestle it out of the ground. It didn't miss a beat. I used to have another RS that never seemed to do as well as the other two I have. It was in pretty deep shade, and the ones I replaced it with haven't really thrived there either. My other two get more dappled light but almost no direct sun and they have done great. I think it is a super easy one to grow.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

How is your soil ?

No hostas like to go from loose and airy potting mix to heavy clay
I have mine in Danish full sun and have never seen it burn, not even in weather changing summers
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Pia, I'm very lucky to have naturally good soil -- my 1938 house was built on OLD farm land and I am the the first owner who gardens! I remember digging out my first garden and thinking I could have used a spoon. Not a stone in sight and perfectly loamy soil. In fact, stuff grows TOO well for me. :p
~~~ Audrey ~~~
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Then it will love to spread out it's roots :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply