Dwindling hosta - WHY?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Wheasie

Dwindling hosta - WHY?

Post by Wheasie »

I have a couple of hosta that have shown great vigor in the past, and then suddenly start to dwindle. This year, they are 'Alligator Shoes', 'Summer Breeze', 'Sgt. Pepper' and 'LS Looking Glass'. Only a couple of good stems remain and if I dig them, it is like each stem is its own plant - not a clump.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Dwindling hosta - WHY?

Post by Tigger »

Were the clumps intertwined with tree roots? That's usually the culprit in our garden. Otherwise consider drainage and water problems.

David
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Tree roots, not enough light, not enough water, voles, or rot are the usual culprits here. I had a huge old clump of Mountain Snow that had gone downhill the last couple of years. Hostas all around it were flourishing, so I thought it was probably not a tree root situation. This year it was down to a couple of pitiful eyes, so I dug it up. There was a fairly large tree root right through the middle of the clump. I had a number of hostas that were much diminished in size from the year before, which I am certain was due to the 6 month drought we had in 2012. I watered constantly throughout the spring, summer and fall, and kept them alive, but they didn't thrive. When I checked some of them, there was a lot of dry crumbly crown material that just fell apart.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

Thank you for replies - good suggestions/ideas. I cannot discern a common characteristic at this time but will continue to see if I can figure out what the problem may be.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Tree roots or some bushes:
I noticed a big problem this season with a couple of variegated holly were destroying my hosta;
A couple of years ago a garden spot became overrun by tree roots, (I don't know what kind of tree),
I moved the entire planting into troughs to keep them alive.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply