Clear Fork River Valley with nematodes?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Clear Fork River Valley with nematodes?

Post by rufie98 »

I purchased this hosta in September from my local hosta society. I was thrilled to have a Clear Fork River Valley hosta this size. After bringing it home I noticed one leaf in particular that caused me concern. Otherwise the plant looked disease free. This isn't nematodes is it? I would be extremely disappointed to think that my society allowed plants with nematodes. Here are a couple of photos.
DSC03806(#2).jpg
DSC03798(#2)CFRV.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Clear Fork River Valley with nematodes?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

No, it doesn't really look like nematode damage to me. The brown streak crosses over the veins and nematode damage won't look like that, plus the distinct start and stop points, rather than a blending of color, is another indication that this isn't nematodes.

So don't worry about this one :)

Chris
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Thanks Chris for the good news. You've made me very happy!
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I agree completely with Chris.

But also, don't be too hard on your local society. Nematodes are just about everywhere now and eventually you too will likely have some. They affect far too many other garden perennials to avoid for long. And early in the season, they are nearly impossible to detect.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

I see your point about nematodes ViolaAnn. It would be a difficult task to keep them from entering the garden. Then it is probably a very good thing that our society has its hosta sale at the end of the growing season.

I also purchased a fern at the hosta sale and am wondering whether it has nematodes. I find it even more difficult to tell. I have searched on the internet to see pictures of fern with nematodes, but have not found many. I am considering just keeping it in a pot in the garage for the winter instead of adding it to the garden.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'm afraid I don't know what nems in ferns look like. Is there a forum here at Hallson where there would be people who know? Yes. it likely is a good thing your sale is at the end of the season.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi All,

I wouldn't say I'm 100% sure that isn't nematodes but it probably isn't. You can test easily by cutting up that part of the leaf and putting it in water in a clear glass dish. After an hour or so hold it up to a bright light and look at it with a 10x magnifying glass. Little clear wriggling wormlike things in the water are nematodes.

The genie is out of the bottle with nematodes and won't be going back in. Once they're in the garden they're there to stay. Like it or not we all have to learn to live with them. It is very difficult for nurseries to keep them out and only a few really do. Hats off to those like Chris who make the effort.

Foliar nematodes can infect hundreds of different plants, including many that gardeners like as well as weeds and even grasses. Below is a pic from Carol of them in a fern.
FernsCB.jpg
......Bill Meyer
Last edited by Bill Meyer on Nov 20, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Thank you Bill! I am afraid I have now cut down my CFRV for the winter. (Of course with a sterile knife.) So I will not be able to do the test. I must keep that in mind for next year!

I appreciate the picture of the fern with nematodes you submitted. I don't think that my fern has that kind of appearance. I can take a photo tomorrow to compare.

I joined this forum a few years ago. There was more activity at that time. I thought the Hallson forum members were kind and helpful then. I still feel that way today!
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

:D
Ann
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Here is a photo of a leaf of my fern. Now that I see a closeup (and compare it with Bill's photo), I think perhaps it is not nematodes.
DSC03934(#2).jpg
New Topic Post Reply