Nematodes

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Bumping up. I found these leaves on Revolution but don't see anything in the water test. I notice on the pic of the bottom of the leaf the browning doesn't go all the way to the vein. What do yal think?

Edit: No one has answered my question about removing the soil before the hot water treatment, so I left it there and Forest Shadows is in 121* water as I type.
And since Revolution is a replacement for one that slowly died, I'm not doin that one till someone takes a look a it.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

I would say yes. The first pic is iffy, but the gradual fade of brown on the 2nd two pics are a dead ringer for me.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I vote not nematodes on your Revolution. The hole in the leaf looks to me like the initial insult which led to the browning in the vein, maybe caused by a fungus.
When I have had nematodes, I can usually find several leaves with symptoms of brown streaks where there is no leaf injury to explain it.
baja220

Post by baja220 »

HostaDesigner wrote:I would say yes. The first pic is iffy, but the gradual fade of brown on the 2nd two pics are a dead ringer for me.
All 3 of the pics are of the same leaf, just different angles and the one showing the bottom.
This is the only leaf showing signs and I couldn't see anything in the water in the water test. BUT, all I have is a 10 power loop. Is that strong enough?
baja220

Post by baja220 »

Dave I like your answer better!!! :lol:

OK, when I took Forest Shadows out of the hot water the temp was 118.9* so I hope it got cooked good enough. It was in the water 11 min.
Last edited by baja220 on Jul 07, 2007 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Debbie, my Revolution is doing about the same thing, and I think it is from the freeze damage. You may want to do the water test thingy first. :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Nematodes live in the crown over the winter so they swim out to the leaves in summer, and when they multiply to enough numbers or eat enough tissue to choke the circulation in the vein it turns brown. Since they are coming from the crown you should see a random scattering of the brown lines in different leaves.
I'm glad yoy like my answer :wink:
The water bath heat treatment has worked well for me, so I think you'll be pleasantly rewarded for your efforts.
John

Post by John »

Are nematodes typically present in many or most soils, and express themselves when the plant is stressed?

Remember when... hostas and daylilies were 'carefree' perennials?!
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I'm trying to "remember when", John. In fact I was trying to remember it today as I was bleaching the planks in my greenhouse after the nem infested hostas were in there! :evil:

(heavy sigh :roll: )
Charla
baja220

Post by baja220 »

Dave, here's a pic of the whole plant. This is the only leaf like that. What do you use to look in the water for the water test?

Charla, I did the water test, but couldn't see anything. And I just bought this plant in April. I went up to Hilltop Farms in MO. They're display hosta garden was closed due to the freeze, but they're retail hostas were in a green house during the freeze. But it did get colder up there and man, you should see all the damage from the ice storm. Really sad. :cry:

They were carefree when we didn't have internet and knew what was wrong or could find out!! :D

My Forest Shadows seems to be not harmed by the hot water bath. I'll put him back in the ground tomorrow. Also, I poured 140* water in the hole I dug it out of. When can something be planted back in that hole?
ademink

Post by ademink »

Did you remove the leaves? It is my understanding you are supposed to remove the leaves and petioles before "cooking".

Maybe I missed something. LOL
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Debbie, I heard you should drench the hole with a bleach solution...have heard from 10% up to 25%. But I think surrounding plants and roots could stand a 10%, but maybe not a 25%....maybe someone else will chime in.

A question I have, is when I washed roots off an infected hosta to ship it, I washed the bulk of the soil off in a remote area of the yard but would like to treat it, too. Also the area where I was packaging it for shipping is in the grass by my greenhouse which gets alot of foot traffic. Will the bleach drench help in those two places? Will it kill the grass? If so, permanently as where I can't plant back there? Also, we had 20" of rain right after that nem contamination...are they everywhere now? :eek:
Charla
ademink

Post by ademink »

Informative...........and depressing: :o :lol:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plan ... 51&level=s
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I did not remove the leaves, I wanted them ALL dead lol.
I couldn't see them with the water test but I have access to a microscope and I could see them at the edge of the torn leaf tissue. There were several sizes, probably different ages. I didn't have a hand lens, but I do have excellent near vision.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Just wanted to clarify...

I had posted a pic of a hosta I got from Rob Mortko here showing things that looked like nematode damage. It has been tested and is clean.

What I was trying to show in the post, that I don't think came out that way, was that since I got this from Rob I was pretty sure it was clean....and it was. I just wanted to be sure no one here got the idea that Rob was selling nematodes!!! :D
Charla
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Chris-
I read (and appreciated) your response to ademink about the cooking anecdote for nematodes. Nevertheless, I'm not really sure about the proper procedure of the dish/water/leaf/sunlight (?) test to discover nematodes. I suppose I'm going to have to do some reading on the subject because I don't even know if what I would be looking for would be worms or simply symptoms (?) of worm infestation.

Does anyone have pictures?
Cynthia
--------------------------------------
Love will wait forever.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

To Chris and everyone else--
I should have finished reading all four pages of postings as well as the Westside FAQs before I posted my question.

After reading them all, I have decided that you (the collective you) have answered all my questions.

Except for one. I have a Great Expectations that I got in the last month from a reputable retailer (Chris didn't have any) which is showing browning from one side of the leaf to half past the center vein.

I bought a clump of a mature plant--cumulatively, 20" tall. Then I planted the new hosta in a container, not in the ground.

Three days ago, I noticed brown streaks but, since I knew nothing about nematodes, I decided that they must be caused by the hour of very bright afternoon sunlight shining directly down on the plant (but not that leaf--I'll have to check tomorrow).

The brown area covers, as I said, three quarters of the leaf area--from one side of the leaf to half past the center vein, and tonight the original affected leaf edge looks dark tan but crinkled and burned (?) with occasional semi-circles of dark brown. At the middle of the other side of the leaf, where the tan color does gradually fade and end, the coloring is tan without the crinkled, burn appearance.

Does anyone know though of other Great Expectation issues besides nematodes or sunlight that could cause this kind of discoloration?
Cynthia
--------------------------------------
Love will wait forever.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Transplant shock. You could have kept it shaded for awhile until the roots started pumping water in their new environment. Can you post a pic?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Jaspersail

Post by Jaspersail »

John wrote:Are nematodes typically present in many or most soils, and express themselves when the plant is stressed
There are many different kinds of nematodes. Some live in soil and have no interest in hostas. Some specialize on specific plants. I think the one we're mainly dealing with is Aphelenchoides fragariae, a type of nematode that lives inside many plants, including hostas. The plant doesn't have to be stressed to succumb to foliar nematodes--healthy plants are just as susceptible.

But not all nematodes are "bad"! Someday we may have a commercially available nematode that targets and kills the nematode living inside our hosta leaves. :D

--John
Quiet Storm

Say it ain't so

Post by Quiet Storm »

Hi Everyone,

Here are photos of a border of Golden Scepter that I have growing under my forsythia hedge. Does this look like nematode damage? I have never had anything like this before. This summer has been incredibly dry here in Eastern MA, and I have been keeping my hostas well watered. Could that have contributed to the problem?

This border consists of 15-16 Golden Scepter plants. Do I need to dig up the whole row? The first 4 or 5 plants in the row are showing these symptoms. I also noticed some hostas in my neighbor's yard (about 30 feet away) that are showing the same symptoms.

Oh my.
Attachments
Golden_Scepter2.jpg
Golden_Scepter2.jpg (24.56 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
Golden_Scepter1.jpg
Golden_Scepter1.jpg (27.06 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply