Date for the Hallson Summer Get Together!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Does July 25th work for you for the Hallson Summer Get Together?

Poll ended at Jul 08, 2009 9:40 pm

Yes, that works great!
90%
No, I can't make it then and would prefer a different time.
10%

Total votes: 10

hostasandpapillons
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Date for the Hallson Summer Get Together!

Post by hostasandpapillons »

Reading all this....now I'm really bummed :( :( We wanted to come, but aren't going to be able to swing it this year. I'll be planning on next year, though!! LG, how many cell phones can you get ahold of to keep the lines open for the auction??!?! LOL At least for the hosta pillow cover :eek:
Painting the hosta leaves sounds like a lot of fun - I want to see pictures!!
Oh well, next July will be here before we know it!! :lol:
Lori
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hey Joan.....I don't think you have my spoon.....mine is just a big one with holes.....not a nice one from a set.....but hey, thanks for mentioning it... :lol:

Durn Lori.....too bad......sure wish you could come, but maybe next year..... :beer:

Linda!!! Congrats!!!!!! I just caught that you were getting married!! :beer: :beer:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks to Chris and Brian's hospitality, we will be able to make it after all. I can't wait to see everyone. :D

I'm bringing Heath Bar Cake.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
steg

Post by steg »

Steph and I are really looking forward to this weekend. Should be lots of fun.

Working on a corn salad and a maybe a small marble pound cake. I can't make either of them too early as they won't make it to Sat. :lol:
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Pat: So glad you can make it!!!

Not sure if I will make it...when Jeff got home yesterday we went back to the hospital. The RN in charge of MIL was just livid. The Dr. (so to speak) assigned to MIL had admitted her under the 23-hr. observation only. This is real bad, as MIL would have to stay in the hospital 3 days before Medicare would pay for her to go to the skilled nursing facility afterwards. But the dr. lit into the nurse, saying that "I'm not going to commit fraud!"...as she doesn't believe there is any need for MIL to be there longer! The ER dr. had told me (and the nurses) that MIL would be staying in the hospital for a few days then going to the skilled nursing facility - no ifs, ands or buts. The nurse is a realist and knows that MIL NEEDS to be there longer for pain control and that I would have an almost impossible time trying to care for her at home with that many broken ribs. She wouldn't be willing to help, cause if she did, it would hurt horribly and she would -of course- quit. Heck, she had forgotten falling before the ambulance got her to the hospital...and doesn't understand why she hurts or why she is in the hospital. Can't even imagine getting her in and out of bed, out of her chair or to/from the bathroom by myself without causing her a LOT of unnecessary pain. So, I am girding my loins for battle...have to call MILs dr. at UofM and have him see what he can do. Might have to stomp a dr., but that's ok...anyone that stupid and uncaring doesn't deserve to be dr.

So, hoping I can make it, but its not looking good...

wanda
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I'm really bummed that I won't make it this year. I was really hoping this would be the year I'd get to finally meet some of you.
Hope you all have a great time..but then, I know you will!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I hope you all will remember your cameras and post lots and lots of pics on here. And remember.....the rest of us will be with you in spirit. Have a great time.....and give the boys a big hug for me. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Queala

Post by Queala »

Hey Guys,
Was just thinking of the get together. I too thought it would be in August. But I do not think I can make it. DW out of work right now and money is a little tight. Thanks for thinking of me Wanda :D You guys all have fun! Hey Chris any phone bidding?
Mike
庭を楽しむ

Mike's Hosta List
Latitude 42° 0' 6.57" Longitude -83° 20' 44.214"
lessa's dh
Location: usually next to lessa! Latitude = 42.7304, Longitude = -80.9952, Altitude = 233m or 764.4ft

Post by lessa's dh »

:( :roll: :( :( ... sigh ... :( :( :roll:
Compostaphile and Compostaphobe -- To rot or not to rot . . .

ps. I don't have a hosta list - lessa took them all!!

Latitude - Longitude:
42.727844,-80.87182
steg

Post by steg »

Chris_W wrote: The itinerary for Saturday will be to arrive around 9 to 10am, lunch will be at 12:30. We will do the hosta swap at 2:00pm, with the auction right after that.

In the afternoon we will have a fun craft project - painting concrete hosta leaves! The leaves are already made - you get to turn them into your favorite hosta (or make your dream hosta ;) )

If you get here early, on Friday evening we will have a wine tasting party from Cherry Creek, one of the local wineries down the road from us.
Chris
I'm guessing nothing has changed, but just checking. Not sure if we'll get there Friday night or Saturday morning but Steph and I are looking forward to it. :D

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Mike,

Nothing has changed. The arrival time is really just at your leisure. Sort of the morning "meet and greet", and people like to walk around, get pictures and chat. Friday night will be a wine and cheese and snacks. I'll have 10 or so different types of wine for people to sample, nothing formal, just another chance for people to get together and chat :D

We will also have a raffle here, so if people want to bring anything to donate we sell raffle tickets and then draw numbers and when your number is called you get to pick out one item from the raffle pile. If anyone wants to bring some unwanted garden items, old garage sale trinkets, old books, or other odds and ends to donate to the raffle drawing you are welcome. It is to help fund the party, and you can get some nifty things too. I have a couple hosta books, fern books, some virus test strips, good luck crickets, and a few other items already for the raffle. We'll probably do that either after lunch or after the hosta swap.

See you this weekend!

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:beer:
lessa's dh
Location: usually next to lessa! Latitude = 42.7304, Longitude = -80.9952, Altitude = 233m or 764.4ft

Post by lessa's dh »

:cry: **SNIFF** :cry:
Compostaphile and Compostaphobe -- To rot or not to rot . . .

ps. I don't have a hosta list - lessa took them all!!

Latitude - Longitude:
42.727844,-80.87182
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Well, with great sorrow I am going to miss the event for the first time (sob)! I publicly and with great relish fired MIL's assigned dr. - it was sort of exciting. I think everyone thought I was going to physically stomp her (hehe). The nurses found MIL a great new dr. up here - a gerontologist - who is just wonderful. The so-called assigned dr. has been proven completely wrong, as MIL is developing pneumonia (and might have a punctured lung) and was transferred today to a larger hospital. She is doing better today...but she is 85 and has no will to live. I called Hospice today, just to get the ball rolling if necessary. So, can't take off so far away right now...not sure which way this is going.

Sure gonna miss seeing everyone and talking hosta! Sure do wish I could come!

wanda
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm sorry you didn't make it there too, Wanda, but I hope everything will get straightened out with your MIL and she will get the care she needs now and relieve you of some of strain that you've been under. (((Wanda)))
And hugs for Lynn and Art also. I guess we'll all have to rely on stories and pics posted on here for our get-together "fix".
I know the weather here today is crappy....cooler and rainy, with some thunder...so I hope it's better there in Michigan. :roll:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
steg

Post by steg »

THANKS CHRIS AND BRIAN!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

I'm really sorry that a number of you weren't able to make it this year. We'll see you all next year!

Steph and I had a fantastic day. After all the worrying about the forecast the day turned out to be just awesome. We got to meet some great people, spend the day with Chris and Brian, walk the gardens multiple times and just enjoy the view and company.

I do have some pictures, but it may take time to get them up. If anyone does NOT want their pic posted - send me a message. I know some people may not want their mug posted.
Attachments
Hillside looking back from below
Hillside looking back from below
DSC_0003_sm.JPG (104.57 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
No comment
No comment
DSC_0008_sm.JPG (101.34 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
Some of the art work
Some of the art work

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for the pics. The leaves look pretty cool.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Mike!! Yep, Jay and I made it home safe!! We had beautiful weather like Mike said, and guess who got Rippled Mouse Ears?? Yep, I was ducking it out with Jane (Now I can not think of her screen name... :roll: ).....I came home with Little Maddie, Leola Frain, Knights Journey, and Cathy's Clown......love the name even if it is spelled with a *C* and I love clowns...... :lol: Sweet Paul gave me a piece of Cody.....Thank-You Paul!! :beer: My precious Jay won another hosta this year in the auction.....Tropical Storm.....very nice job Jay!! :beer: I love them all and they are almost all SMALL/MINI'S.....except the Knight's Journey.....I haven't looked anything up yet like I do.....I also bought 2 cone flowers......not bad.....I did not load up!

Chris and Brian, you guys know I love you and thanks the the hosta leave that we got to paint.....I promise to post pictures later......still have not loaded them....I loved doing those.....that was really cool!! I loved meeting steg ....Mike and Steph!! Nice young hosta lovers.... :lol: ....and Barb and..... :hmm: ....can't think now.....and DH is in the bed so I can not ask him his name....but it was a pleasure to meet you two..... :cool: .....Glad Pat and Jon could make the trip, too!!

I had fun!! And it was so nice outside......lots of food, too!!! :beer: :beer:
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

The leaves look great! Nice to see a pic of part of the growing area. We were sure thinking of you guys this weekend. I am sitting here at work right now thinking that I should be home in bed dreaming of the fun that we had at Hallson's on the weekend....but I can't because we weren't there. :( I hope you all had fun this weekend. Please post pics so we can see what we missed.

Lynn
hostasandpapillons

Post by hostasandpapillons »

Sounds like fun was had by all - I just wish we could have come. Oh well, next year!!
The leaves do look really cool. Maybe that will be on the list again for next year??!!
LG, remember me when you're Rippled Mouse Ears is splittable :lol: :lol: I bet them doggies missed you guys!!
Post more pictures so we can see all the fun!!
Lori
New Topic Post Reply