Messenger growth stimulator

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Candy

Messenger growth stimulator

Post by Candy »

On a local Sunday morning radio gardening show, I heard an interesting discussion of a fairly new product called Messenger. If I am to believe everything I heard, this product sounds revolutionary. When mixed with water, it is sprayed on leaves every three weeks; and, while not a fertilizer, it allows plants to take up more nutrients.
Has anyone tried this product yet on hosta?
More information is available at messenger.info.com
blonde elf

Post by blonde elf »

Hi. I've never heard of Messenger, but I bought something called "Spray N Grow" last spring which is also a growth stimulator that you spray on blossoms, vegetables and foliage every few weeks. I had high hopes, but really didn't see much difference.

Are you going to get some of this Messenger? If it works, please let us know.

Laura (*~*)
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Messenger

Post by thehostagourmet »

I just bought some to try this season, on Hostas as well as trees and roses. The American Rose Society endorses the product, which is basically a protein (Harpin) that kicks in a growth response from the plant. It thinks it's being attacked by disease, insects, or whatever. It was developed at Cornell University, and first tested with food crops.

I plan to try it on my seedlings too, when they get a little larger.

George
DryGulch

Messenger

Post by DryGulch »

I just read an article about this product, too. I have to say I am leery of anything that caused a plant to think it is stresses and put out more growth, flowers, seeds or whatever. Using this hormone on a perennial, won't it have the effect of robbing from energy stores the plant needs to make it through the winter?

Anything that puts out tremendous amounts of energy to flower and set seed is not preparing itself for winter. Lots of seedless varieties of trees when stressed set seed and then sometimes die. Examples: seedless locust, redbuds...

(I personally had a redbud for around 10 years. The year it got root rot and was dying it set seed for the first time.)

How can this be a good thing for perennials?

Harpin is a hormone isn't it? Exposure to this stuff does what to people over 10-20 years? This is too new to know!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:o Plants on steroids! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
thehostagourmet

Harpin

I believe Harpin is a plant protein, not a hormone. This stuff has been tested every which way to Sunday, and won a prestigious award from our friendly Federal Government.

Dry Gulch, don't be so paranoid!

George
Candy

Post by Candy »

I think one of the things I like best about this forum is the relative paranoia when dealing with our prized plants!

But, I agree with George. Harpin is a protein and I don't think (given my limited scientific knowledge) that it will subject plants to hormonal growth spurts. And, like George, I'm going to give it a try...but on a limited number of plants...think I'll start with the peonies first because of it's extensive testing on both those and roses. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
thehostagourmet

Harpin

From the US EPA website, the link that covers the subject:
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopestic ... 006477.htm

I include the article's summary below to further alleviate your fears. (I don't own stock in Messenger. Nor, do I profit from it at all. It just sounds too good not to try.)

Deeper in the article, Harpin's effectiveness against nematodes is mentioned, and this gives me another weapon to try against that scourge. It also mentions effectiveness against some viruses.

"SUMMARY

Harpin is one of a class of proteins produced in nature by certain bacterial plant pathogens. It acts by eliciting a complex natural defense mechanism in plants, analogous to a broad spectrum immune response in animals. While most pesticides act directly on the target pest, Harpin, by contrast, elicits a protective response in the plant that makes it resistant to a wide range of fungal, bacterial, and viral diseases. Because Harpin does not interact directly with disease pests, these organisms are not expected to develop resistance to it. Harpin protein can be used on a broad range of crops, including traditional field crops, minor use crops, turf and ornamentals. With no expected adverse effects to human health or the environment, use of Harpin protein has the potential to substantially reduce use of more toxic pesticides, especially fungicides and certain soil fumigants, such as methyl bromide."

Good luck, and report the results if you try it.

George
barbara

Post by barbara »

I'm on the look out for this stuff, if I find it, I'll give it a try (but won't go as far as making a special order for some)
gardenkat

Post by gardenkat »

I bought Messenger last year and used it on some of my hostas that were planted in late summer. Didn't notice any difference at the time, but the ones I used it on are already showing eyes. I keep track of when the first eyes show up each year and only two of the non-Messenger hostas are showing eyes so far. (One is a week earlier than last year and one is the same time as last year.) Coincidence? Maybe, I don't know. But if it helps my hostas defend themselves against nematodes (which showed up in my garden for the first time last year) that's even more reason for me to use it again this year.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.
--John Muir
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I suppose it couldn't hurt, but consider that hostas are largely free of any disease problems, so strengthening their immune systems might not gain you as much as it would, say, with roses or apple trees that are so terribly prone to maladies. If you have bad nematodes in your hosta garden, this won't necessarily take care of the problem, it will just help your hosta grow in spite of it (making the problem less visible, perhaps: beware a false sense of security).
DryGulch

When something sounds too good to be true....

Post by DryGulch »

it probably isn't...

Not paranoid...but...I'll let y'all test it on your beautiful plants first...
Candy

Post by Candy »

For those interested, I did try "Messenger" on Peonies, coral bells, Astillbe, and a nearly dead White Forsythia. The only hosta I sprayed was Great Ex, that can use all the help it can get.
As for the Coral Bells and Astillbe, I can honestly say it has made a difference...they are huge...I mean really huge! My Astillbe look like shrubs. I can't really tell about the Peonies because they've always grown well, but I was hoping to stop the black spots during the August heat...too soon to tell.
As for the Great Ex...I can only tell you that something has given this plant a kickstart. A month ago I potted the plant up in a fiber pot and buried it in a very damp location in nearly full sun. I was sprayed with Messenger three weeks ago and again last night. It's developed four new leaves in a month, but all four have more substance and are larger. While this is relatively unscientific...I think Messenger has at least earned my $19.95. I think next year will tell the tale.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

So if this stuff works on helping the plant immune system would it help it fight off HVX?

Ginger
MikeWI

Post by MikeWI »

My only caution (disclaimer I've not used this product) is that as growth takes energy and plants need to store energy for the winter to grow in spring.... too much growth might exhaust your plants energy reserves and there could be issues subsiquent springs.

I have some plants I'd love to squirt with the stuff, from what I'm hearing, but afraid as they are small and imature.....
Mike
Milwaukee
DryGulch

Messenger

Post by DryGulch »

I would be very curious about your results on these plants as they go through winter and another growing season.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Karma Happy Toes sent me a packet to try.

After seeing the animation on the Messenger website I was actually more convinced that this was a gimmick. :lol:

However, I will do some "scientific" testing to see what, if any, difference this makes.

First, I have a batch of about 50 tall garden phlox that is growing poorly. They are all potted in the same potting soil with the same amount of nutrients to begin. I will separate it into 3 groups. Group 1 will be sprayed with plain water and then be set aside. Group 2 will be sprayed with a water/fertilizer mixture. Group 3 will be sprayed with messenger in the water.

I also have some pots of Hosta 'Lakeside Kaleidoscope' that are starting to get a bit tired looking. I'll do the same thing, separating them into 3 groups just as above.

Will let you know if it makes any apparent difference to these...
Candy

Post by Candy »

That seems like a great way to test Messenger, Chris. We'll be curious to hear about a more scientific study. Please keep us posted.
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

i bought it and used it all winter on the house plants and they are the healthiest they have ever been coming through a winter!!!

I also used it on all my seedlings and have some very healthy babies and all the transplants got a misting too and they seem to spring back to life quicker!!! :D Im still using it and even spray them every other day :lol: instead of every three weeks-I hope to have some killer mators this season :o

MY FLOWERing Kale is the best ive seen around here too!!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!
Jaspersail

Post by Jaspersail »

Hey Chris,

Your "Messenger" test sounds interesting. The HostaScience Journal would be interested in publishing your findings!

--John
New Topic Post Reply