OC's 07 Hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

OC's 07 Hosta

Post by oldcoot »

Spring is really getting a hold in S.C. Even OC's Hostas in the yard are showing up. Thought that this one will be really pretty.

Enjoy..................OC sure is
Attachments
07 Yard Hosta -HRZ.jpg
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Very nice, OC! It is really big already! Do you know which one it is? Thanks for sharing.... :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Looking good- glad you are so much down south- here ... it would scare the heck out of me :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
wzbt03

Spring in the Carolinas

Post by wzbt03 »

They look great coming out of the ground. I have too many eyes peeking out here for a place that has snow in the forecast for next Wednesday.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I hope your warm temps are here to stay, John!! Always so much fun to watch the hostas unfurl in the spring. :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
oldcoot

It sure is

Post by oldcoot »

And OC will have the ones that you sent OC last year Reynaldo and the new ones OC bought from Chris last fall.

As for the weather, officially our last freeze is about April 10th. With Easter being then We think we just may be safe.

Thanks again everybody for all the nice comments !! OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Looks like OC was wrong

Post by oldcoot »

calling for cold weather this week-end. Oh POOH in the 30's No less. OC sure wishes you guys in the frozen tundra would keep all that cold weather up THERE where it belongs !! With us basking in 85* weather and beautiful sunshine, we sure didn't need this. Better get Joy to let OC go out and make pictures of the rest of his tulips as they will be long gone by Monday......Sure Glad his Iris haven't bloomed yet.

Meanwhile back to the reason for this post. Several years ago OC had a patch of rocks on the side of his Yard cleaned out and planted Hosta here. Since it is under shade most of the summer, as long as he keeps it watered, it does really well.

This is what it looked like last week....

Enjoy OC's Rock Garden
Attachments
07 Hosta  in Rock Garden.jpg
07 Hosta - Rock Garden (3).jpg
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Very nice OC!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
oldcoot

Golden Tiarra

Post by oldcoot »

:eek: :eek: :eek: Went out this morning to look at OC's Hosta and take pictures of his remaining Tulips, and got a few good ones he thinks.

He is scared senseless about this freeze they are calling for. They saids April 10th a long time ago, but it has been so warm OC though he was out of the woods. SO the Good Lord will have to take care of them, there are too many and are no too big to cover......Hopes every body makes out fine.

OC crosssing his finger and saying a prayer for everybody...
Attachments
Golden Tiarra.jpg
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Your hostas look good, OC. I sure hope you don't get a frost and get damage on those pretty leaves. Keep your fingers and toes crossed! :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks for the pics and the prayers, OC. We'll really need the prayers this week in Kansas. Predicting below freezing temps for the next 5 nights! :???: Beautiful hosta...I hope it misses any damage. It sounds like many of us are in the same boat this week. March in Kansas was the 3rd warmest in history. All the plants think it is May! :o
Charla
Libby

Post by Libby »

Good luck, OC! I hope the weather doesn't touch your pretty hostas.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

OC - I'd be getting on Joy's good side if I were you & have her cover your hostas with some old sheets & buckets, etc. :wink: Good Luck!! Mine are all got covered yesterday.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
oldcoot

OC saw your pictures Renaldo

Post by oldcoot »

Unfortunately mine are not that close together and by now are Way too big to try to cover . Just have to trust in the Good Lord. OC rode out on his scooter and cut the final two tulip left (sure glad he made the pictures earlier this week) but the Hosta do not look good. The outer leaves are badly crinkledand turning Yellow. They are calling for low 20's at night until Tuesday night, Saturday and Sunday being the Coldest..

Wish OC could help everybody, but he is just too feeble....OC
oldcoot

Sure glad OC made this Tuesday

Post by oldcoot »

They are in your Hand's Lord, help us out....OC
Attachments
Green & White Hosta.jpg
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

That's a pretty one, OC. Hope it makes it.... :(
Charla
oldcoot

Well now it is offical

Post by oldcoot »

OC is a registered Hostaholic with his own personal issue of AHS Mag. GREAT pictures, Made OC want to run right out and take some himself, guess his check finally cleared..But it was dark and 32 degrees outside so he just said inside where it was ice and cozy........
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I hear ya Coot on all this cold.....It makes me just sick not to see the tulips.....we have been in the 20's for too many days in a row.....Where is the warmth??

Nice picture Coot.... :cool:

Renaldo....Old Coot is always on Joy's good side.....He has to be....:lol: :wink:
oldcoot

Well the worst happened......ARTIC Air for a WEEK

Post by oldcoot »

Nights were in low 20's ,days only in the 40's. Looks like OC lost all of last years Liliums, most of his Iris, and his Hosta took a real beating. Haven't been out in the yard in a week (since this last post actually) but looking over the deck rail, Hostas look bad. On OC's Deck, the Hosta in the tub and the one in he converted bird bath took a direct hit. Got Iced over. Had planned to go out today to look around and see if I had anything left, but it rained a nice warm rain all week end and the swamp is full again. Water standing eveywhere on what had been a dried yard......Maybe it will be dry enough tomorrow to go back out. We had 40 mi/hr winds last night and they are still blowing. Too strong for OC to get out on his scooter......

The picture below is one of the last Re-Freeze hosta pictures he took. He does have one AFTER the freeze and will post as soon as he get it edited,,,,Was beautiful OC in shock
Attachments
07 Deck Hosta = PF.jpg
07 Deck Hosta = PF.jpg (42.22 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'm sorry to hear that, OC. I'd been wondering how your garden had fared.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply