Pic of the Day--Undulata Univittata

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Undulata Univittata

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--If widespread use is an indicator of whether a variety is a "classic", then Undulata Univattata is one of the true classics. There seems to be little doubt that it is the most widely used white centered hosta variety. Univittata is like all the Undulatas, it doesn't get no respect. I don't know why that is so because UU is a very attractive plant in my opinion, with good growth habits under various conditions. I purchased Undulata Univittata back in 1994 when I was still learning about how to properly space hostas. Since I'm reluctant to move an established plant I have left UU squeezed into the spot it was originally planted, next to a Black Walnut tree. None the less, the plant has done fine. Although its size has dropped down a bit in the last couple of years, probably due to tree roots, it has usually averaged about 50x22. Zilis lists it at 45x18. On the down side, UU needs slug protection and tends to get a somewhat ragged, worn out look by the end of the season.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... Univittata
MyHostas Database - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Undulata+Univittata
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/u/uu.html
Undulata Univittata 6-25-03c 020.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I agree with you ,Hank. Seems like many of the "common" hostas don't get the respect they deserve. Not only are many of them very attractive, but they are work horses, IMO. Your UU is lovely. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

this is a great plant and a real classic imo

I would like to meet the one person that bought the first one in this area to thank him. I do not know anyone that bought one. The story always seem to go something like this, someone gave it to me but they got it from some other guy who got it from a friends, friends, friend............ etc.

A true friendship hosta
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:lol: Hank, I think you can dig up UU, chop it up in small pieces and it will still do fine :D

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

A classic, most certainly. So old that botanists don't even know what it is! (a hybrid of unknown origin) That said, "Good habits under various conditions," IMO, doesn't apply as well here on the hot and humid east coast. This is a great, eye-catching plant for the spring garden, but by mid-summer it's best to avert your eyes. And for some reason here, [uninformed] people do plant this in full sun, which exacerbates the problem. I guess in a real "spring" border (with bulbs and early-blooming shrubs) it can be an outstanding plant. (and it helps that it grows like a weed)

Oh, and cut the blooms off of this one. Really. There are some who actually cut these to the ground mid-summer and get a later flush of reasonable looking leaves (but that may hasten the progression of the plant towards its all-green sibling, Undulata Erromena).
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I can't agree more - this really is the Rodney Dangerfield of hostas. Tigger is right though, there seem to be a tone of these planted in full sun in this area too... yeesh - that is an UGLY sight come July.
But in the spring... not much is prettier!
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I think this a pretty one in the spring, too.....I don't have it but it's everywhere here also, and in sun.....

Thanks for the picture, caliloo....Very nice!! :D
jgh

Post by jgh »

a few words about Undulata... ready for a little background on names??? (forgive me, all of you for whom this is "old hat." I only learned this stuff because patient elders passed it on to me in forum posts...)

with plants, species are listed with small case and no apostrophes and cultivars are capitalized with apostrophes.

Thus we have H. ventricosa - a species that occurs in natural environments. We might get a bunch of seedlings, hybrids and sports from it, but as a species, it can self pollinate and self-reproduce.

and we have H. 'Golden Tiara' - a named cultivar that doesn't have a naturally occuring species in nature.

Why all this basic backgroud? Because I've seen lots of changes in undulata/Undulata in my time with hostas.

Zilis does a nice job of describing the history and heritage of Undulata. Its origins are lost in history, but there has been lots of confusion over the years. When I first started collecting, Undulata was H. undulata - a species. Indeed, Maekawa listed it as such in 1973. but he also noted that its habitat was "cultivated in gardens of Japan" which made one suspect it wasn't really a species, but a cultivar. More evidence that it wasn't a naturally occurring species was its variegation and the fact that it never reproduces itself from seed. Indeed, it very rarely produces fertile seeds at all.

George Schmid, in his amazing book The Genus HOSTa firmly insisted on removing undulata from the species list and selected H. 'Undulata' as the proper epithet.

Usually, when cultivars are names, the species epithet is not used. It just adds complication and confusion. (Like our discussion of whether it is H. sieboldiana 'Elegans' or just H. 'Elegans') But in this case, it had been undulata for so long that even though H. 'Suji' might have been more accurate, but Schmid said H. 'Undulata" and hosta name sticklers breathed sighs of relief.

But even as Undulata, it provides us with complications. First of all, it commonly sports to all green. Current convention is to name the all green sport H. 'Undulata Erromena.' There is also a white-margined cultivar that is probably a sport of Erromena and is officially H. 'Undulata Albomarginata.'

With the white-centered version, there is great variation in the width of the center. In naming, convention is that the version that is 2/3 white, it is called H. 'Undulata' and if the center is narrower, maybe 1/3 of the leaf surface, it is called H. 'Undulata Univittata.' Hank's clearly fits in this category.

And then there are the named sports, hybrids and seedlings from this family, which include Kiwi Spearmint, Outhouse Delight (a seedling), Paintbrush, White Wall Tire, and White Feather.

So... I have a spot right by the entry to my house and gardens... right by the garage corner, by the garage, by the sidewalk... stomped on all winter, piled on, beat up by every hose or electric cord dragged around the corner... hmmm... what hosta should I put there... something I don't have to worry about damage or losing it completely... hey, lets stick an Undulata Univittata there!

The irony is that I have 600 plus varieties labeled and displayed... and people very frequently ask about that beautiful hosta right by the driveway!

[and yes, smarty-pants... before you reach for your keyboard... I DO know that I've got it incorrectly named in my photo files... I do have some regular Undulatas in my garden, but this display plant is clearly a Univittata... nobody is perfect!]
Undulata closeup rdcd.JPG
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Pic of the Day--Undulatta Univitatta

Post by Eleven »

I have lots of 'Undulata Univitatta':
~Shawna
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Pic of the Day--Undulata Univittata

Post by ViolaAnn »

2014 - This is mine. Again, one of my older ones except that mine came labelled as 'Joyce Trott' of all things. I didn't know the difference until I'd had it for a decade or so. This one was divided up maybe 4 years ago and moved to a new location. And I just moved it again this year, but didn't divide it because I had a much smaller hosta behind it that was getting lost. Photo July 16, 2014.
Undulata_Univitatta-140716sx.jpg
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

2015 - July 25. Seems to like its new location in the garden.
Undulata_Univittata-150725s.jpg
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Undulata Univittata in my garden with a little (for now) blue weedling hiding under it on the left - probably from Elegans. That's Minuteman above/left and El Capitan left edge.
Undulata Univittata - June 1, 2016
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Maybe a good place to tack this link: All about Undulata
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Fine. I put it in the Index.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

2016 update
July 7, 2016
July 7, 2016
Ann
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I bought this un-tagged pot last season. I thought it was Fire and Ice. But when the flowers opened the anthers were the wrong color. The dark anthers led my to Undulata Univittata.
The similar looking plant at the bottom/right is a white-centered sport of Searing Flame.
Undulata Univittata - July 19, 2017
New Topic Post Reply