Pic of the Day--Gold Standard

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Gold Standard

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--If the word "classic" is used too often, it loses its meaning. So, I have only used it to describe a very few of the varieties that are in the photo series. But, without doubt, Gold Standard is one of the classic hostas. It was a break through when it was discovered as a sport of Hyacinthina, has produced many fine sports of its own, grows well in a variety of conditions, and after being around for about 35 years Gold Standard is still one of the most attractive varieties the genus has to offer. Besides all that it is low priced. A classic indeed. The size of my plant last summer was 65x24, close by Zilis' listing of 60x22. It does need some protection against slugs.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... 20Standard

MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Gold+Standard

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/g/gold.html
Gold Standard 6-26-06c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
wzbt03

The Standard

Post by wzbt03 »

I agree that this is a "Classic".
Mine always look great and have achieved a size of 33 * 20 in 4 years. I planted them so if they achieve the size of yours Hank, they will still look good in a group.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

If mine ever gets that big, I'll no longer be able to see 6-8 hostas that are planted around it. :wink: LOL

Yours is a beauty, Hank. :P
Here's my Gold Standard last year in mid-May - still unfurling. I didn't find a pic of it later in the season.
Here's my Gold Standard last year in mid-May - still unfurling. I didn't find a pic of it later in the season.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
jgh

Post by jgh »

Well... if you want to avoid calling it a "classic" how about calling it a "standard?"

When something is referred to as "the gold standard" it means the best example of a group, the standard against which all others should be measured. I think that's a great name for this great hosta.

If you've grown 'Fortunei Hyacinthina' there's a good chance you've had a sport... white streaks, white margin, white center, creamy markings. But what a pleasant surprise it must have been for Pauline Banyai when she found this wonderful sport in a wholesale batch of FH she received. She registered in in 1976 and it was an immediate sensation.

Gold Standard would have a place in the hosta hall of fame all on its own - but continuing the sporting nature of its mother, GS is the parent and grandparent and, I think, great great grandparent of some of the best hostas on the market.

Striptease comes from GS, and from Striptease we have Kiwi Full Monty, Risky Business, Gypsy Rose, and lots of others.

Captain Kirk comes out of GS, which resulted in the grandchild Enterprise and my unregistered Dammit Jim.

Also from GS we have Darwin's Standard, Paradise Standard, Richland Gold, Zodiac, and lots of others.

When it came time to plant some mature hostas on the streetside, where I knew they'd get heat and reflected light from the tarmac and stone border and I wanted them to be relatively fast growing... I put in a group with Sum and Substance in the center, flanked by GS and Striptease. I planted them in 2004. Here they are in 2005.
Attachments
Gold Standard closeup rdcd.JPG
Gold Standard rdcd.JPG
Streetside Hostas -  -Gold Standard-SaS-Striptease rdcd.JPG
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

beautiful pics, everybody!! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Gold Standard

Post by Marlys »

How refreshing to read all the good things about Gold Standard.
And I must agree, it is a 'gold standard' in the hosta world. I love my GS.
It makes my heart smile.
Mine grows in quite a bit of sun & the on-going color parade is wonderful thru the growing season.
A 'classic' must be included in the shade garden.

MM
Attachments
hosta_gold_standard_02[1].jpg
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Like most of you, I got GS when my hosta addiction first began. What a great start! Inexpensive....readily available..
easy to grow..... and beautiful to boot!! All of your pics show why it's such a classic hosta. :D

Here's mine fighting for space. :roll:
(Don't worry...I'm planning on redoing that whole crowded bed this year! :wink: )
Attachments
GoldStandardTri.BedJune05.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Years ago, at the beginning of my hostaddiction, I bought 4 or 5 pots of GS at a box store . . . before we had to worry about HVX. I divided them into about 10 plants and put them in a bed of ivy, in front of a row of taxus. When approaching our house from the lake, you saw this background of the dark shrubs, the bright GS, and the deep color of the ivy . . . it was lovely! I dug them all up when we tore down the old house and they're now scattered around the beds . . . they haven't achieved their old size yet, after three seasons in pots, but I have high hopes for them. A Gold Standard, indeed!
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Re: Pic of the Day--Gold Standard

Post by Eleven »

'Gold Standard':
~Shawna
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I dug out some of my Gold Standard shots from different plants from last season. This season's shots weren't that good.
Gold Standard - June 12, 2011
Gold Standard - June 12, 2011
Gold Standard - July 6, 2011 - my oldest - might be 15 years old
Gold Standard - July 6, 2011 - my oldest - might be 15 years old
Gold Standard - July 6, 2011 - sported the plant on the left which has a gold margin in spring
Gold Standard - July 6, 2011 - sported the plant on the left which has a gold margin in spring
Gold Standard - July 10, 2011 - getting too much direct sun - a piece of my oldest
Gold Standard - July 10, 2011 - getting too much direct sun - a piece of my oldest
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Gold Standard today:
This is a piece I took off my oldest Gold Standard (at least 20 years old). It's been in this garden at least 8 years.
Gold Standard - July 18, 2017
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply