Pic of the Day--'Undulatta Albomarginata'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--'Undulatta Albomarginata'

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--This plant, with the long Latin name, is the one that most people call "the green and white one." It doesn't seem to get much respect but somehow ends up in almost every shade garden in the country. 'Undulata Albomarginata' (the apostrophes are there to indicate it is not a species) has many nice characteristics, including a willingness to perform under a variety of sun conditions and a good growth rate. However, it often looks a bit worn out by late summer. We have several in our garden. Our plants are usually a few inches larger than Zilis' listing of 44x18. UA appreciates slug protection.
Attachments
Undulata albomarginata north wall 6-26-03c 108.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Yours sure looks good early in the year though!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Do not know if I have been growing hostas for too long, but when I look at the new ones in the catalogs I often think 20 or more $ and what is special about it :roll:
but look at this one ...good grower, impressed veins, wavy edges --- and very cheap

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jgh

Post by jgh »

I've got to have a special affection for UA - it was one of my first hostas... three divisions each of UA and Lancifolia, way back in 1978 or 79, we think.

UA seems to have better ability than most to compete with tree roots. Note the planting back in 2003 right up to the trunk of a rapidly growing (recently deceased!) silver maple tree. Maybe not thriving, but certainly doing OK.

Just picked up my new Hosta Finder at the Minnesota Hosta Society meeting yesterday. UA may have the distinction of lowest average price listed - $4.68.
Attachments
S13 26 Undulata Albomarginata rdcd.JPG
S13 26 Undulata Albomarginata - many rdcd.JPG
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--'Undulatta Albomarginata'

Post by redcrx »

Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply