Pic of the Day--Glory

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Glory

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--In yesterday's POTD I said "Fried Bananas has been providing a nice, bright spot in a shady spot since 2001. ....The variety does have a problem passing the 10 foot rule, however." The same can be said of Glory. The two plants could serve the same landscaping functions except that Glory is several inches shorter than Fried Bananas. Glory was 27x12 in 2001, 36x12 in 2002, 47x17 in 2003, 58x20 in 2005 and 57x24 in 2006. Zilis gives it's mature size at 42x16 and Lemke lists 24x12. What's the poor hobbyist to do when deciding where to place a plant? Glory does seem to have better slug resistance than Fried Bananas.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... iety=Glory
MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Glory
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/g/glory.html

The photos are from 2002, 2004 and 2006.
Glory 6-26-06c.jpg
Glory 7-2-04c.JPG
Glory 6-24-02c 022.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

You've sure got a nice one, Hank!! :) Mine has been incredibly slow. Still just 2 divisions last year after being in the same spot since 2003. But it finally looked good. Last year it was 13" H x 27" W, leaves were 5.5" W x 7.25" L [Zilis lists mature leaves @ 8" x 9"]. I moved it to a slightly sunnier location last year & it was up to 7 eyes this spring. I covered it with soil before the cold so it wasn't too far out of the ground.
Here's mine from last August in the spot where it had always been. I moved it in Sept.
Here's mine from last August in the spot where it had always been. I moved it in Sept.
037 Glory2.jpg (53.19 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
jgh

Post by jgh »

Glory is a seedling from August Moon, registered by R. Savory (of Edina, Minnesota) in 1985 as 42 x 16. I don't know any more heritage. In tc, Hans Hansen / Shady Oaks found a green margined sport and named it Old Glory.

Hank - re: placing - in general, for locating hostas in your garden... take whatever the largest diameter you find listed for a plant... then add 33% for your garden! :wink:

These are just "OK" plants for me. OK looks, OK growth rate, OK looks... I guess I'd pick Squash Casserole over Glory or any similar alternatives - faster growth, better piecrusting...

My pics of Glory show what happens to it late in the season when it gets late afternoon sun... (The others I have growing in deep shade stay chartreuse/yellow all season.) The pics are of a Glory planted in 2002. The 2003 pic was taken Sept. 1. The 2004 pic was taken mid-August. The 2005 pic is from the end of June - and shows Old Glory.
Old Glory and Glory rdcd.JPG
Glory rdcd.JPG
S1 03 Glory rdcd.JPG
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

This it going to be a hard one... I really do not like to disagree with both of you at one time :o :lol:

But late spring 2 years ago I went to my friends hosta nursery part of the garden :roll: and the first one I saw was a great bright yellow with wavy edges.. I ran to look at that new baby and to my surprise it was Glory :o I have looked at that one on pics, but it never did anything to me... but in real life, it got a new home :D
Here in all afternoon sun it is very bright but not screaming yellow all summer and I love it :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

jgh wrote:
Hank - re: placing - in general, for locating hostas in your garden... take whatever the largest diameter you find listed for a plant... then add 33% for your garden! :wink:
I wish I could do that Jim! :lol:

Another one I don't have any experience with.....Love reading, though! :D
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I was told that Glory could take some sun, so when I planted mine a couple years ago I put it in a somewhat sunnier bed. I don't have a pic from last year. (Sheesh...what was I doing last year that I didn't take pics of all my hostas???? :roll: ) Here is a pic from 2005. I think it does look very pretty. :)

Oh! And btw...Happy Birthday , Hank!! :wink:
Glory.StreetBed6-15-05.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Thanks, Joan. :D
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
New Topic Post Reply