Pic of the Day--Stiletto

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Stiletto

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--We have had Stiletto since 1995. It is probably one of those varieties that are at their best when planted as an edger or in a mass planting. A number of years ago I decide to divide up the clump and plant it under one of our benches, where the west side gets some direct sun. It has filled the area but the plants getting the sun are much happier than the others. Under the cramped circumstances, measurements seem pointless but Zilis does list the size of a mature clump at 12x32. If slugs have ever found this plant, they ignored it.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... y=Stiletto

MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Stiletto

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/stiletto.html
Stiletto 6-26-06c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
jgh

Post by jgh »

Mon Dieu! Sacrebleu! Non Non Non!!!

(disclaimer: Hank is a friend of mine. We agree on all the important stuff - but we disagree on some hostas, mostly because of differences in how they fare in our gardens. So please don't think there is any rancor between us when I am forced to make these repeated corrections and additions to his posts. It's not my fault that he's wrong, is it?)

For the most part, I don't like hostas used as "edgers." I understand their appeal... but if I am going to do edging with hostas, I'm going to pick a variety I can get my lawnmower wheel under and ones that I won't mind chopping up a little in the process.

I think Stiletto makes a great specimen plant. It is easy to grow - doesn't take much care and has a good growth rate. It's prime value comes from the combination of its very narrow ripply leaves and a good margin that changes from yellow to white with the season.

These qualities make it a wonderful "contrast plant." Hostas tend to have rounded leaves. One can, of course, use other companion plants to provide leaf-shape contrast... but in a display of all or almost-all hostas, Stiletto can provide great visual interest.

I know, I know... Hank agrees with Zilis and his opinions are treated something like "St. Mark's epistles to the Hostaholians." He says "The very dense, low mound habit and fast growth rate make 'Stiletto' one of the best hostas for edging a shaded border."

I would argue that those same qualities make it a fine specimen plant. As evidence, I provide photos! In both these cases, I specifically chose Stiletto to provide contrast to the hostas around it.

I do agree with Zilis on one thing. He points out that Stiletto becomes less rippled with maturity. I think its leaves also become a little wider - and less attractive. So this is one of those cultivars (like Ginko Craig and Hi Ho Silver) that will benefit from dividing every so often... Zilis says every 3-5 years. Zilis also notes Stiletto's purple flowers - it can produce many, many flower stalks for such a smallish, low plant.

Once more, Hank has given us a POTD registered by Paul Aden - in 1987, as a hybrid of 'Amy Aden' and pulchella variegated. Given its leaf characteristics, one has to assume sieboldii in its heritage.

Hank - get that Stiletto out from under the bench... put a division right up front and center... let my hosta go!
Attachments
Stiletto 2005 south closeup rdcd.JPG
Stiletto 2005 south rdcd.JPG
Stiletto 2005 rdcd.JPG
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hey Guys!!

:lol: Jim, your too funny!!

I have 2 Stiletto's each from different sources. One I got from a trade when I first got started and the other one.....I really don't remember.....They look different, too....I don't have any picture's that I can find....I think they *might* be on the list to dig up and give away for space for my newer potted hostes....It is a cute little plant, but if I remember right, slugs make it a mess.....even when I used slug bait.....but then I was using way to much and too often on the bait as Joan let me know....Soooo, I will do better this year.....

Nice picture's Jim.....:-)

Hank......put a piece of Stiletto somewhere like Jim suggests...... :wink:
sugar

Post by sugar »

Stiletto is one of my favourites; because of the shape. It's one of the fastests growing Hostas in my garden
hubble

Post by hubble »

I am not much for "talking" on this forum...I usually sit back and listen and learn. And I have learned a lot from Hank and many others since I discovered this forum last summer. My thanks to everyone, but especially to Hank and his POTD!

Now for Stilletto... This is one little hosta that surprised me. I bought it last spring and planted it in a protected shady area. It was a tiny little thing with 3-5 eyes as I recall. After the hot dry Kansas summer, and competion with Blue Cadet, it had completely disappeared by fall. Much to my surpise, it reappeared this spring. :o

That makes me wonder...can hostas in general go dormant in heat and drought, or was I just very lucky with this little guy? :-?
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I like Stiletto, too. It has never been bothered by anything here and has doubled in size each of the two years since I first planted it. It even faired alot better than most thru the freezing temps. It was covered, and the outside leaves got a little mushy, but most of it looks perfect. Went up a notch on my list for that! My daughter-n-law who had never seen hostas (what a sheltered life) picked out Stiletto as the one she liked....sooooo...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I really like Hank's under his bench :P & I especially like Jim's 'specimen' with the other hostas around it!! :cool: You need to tell us what the others are surrounding that one.

I must like Stiletto quite a bit, because.....

Cover your eyes, Jim.

I have a nice group of 12 'specimens' which border a garden on the east side of my yard. [Don't have to worry about mowing them off cuz they're planted far enough back from the bricks that it won't be a problem for a long time.] They follow a line that begins straight near the north end of the garden & then curves to the east slightly farther south where they stop just before the pavers of a seating area. On the south side of the seating area, 6 more Stiletto 'specimens' follow a line south for 4-5 feet before curving to the west toward the sidewalk. Eventually - hopefully this year - I will add a line of 5 or 7 or 9 Stiletto 'specimens' to follow the outward curve of the bed on the west side of the sidewalk. The idea here was to make all of these different beds look as though they are actually just one large garden. [In my yard - the yard is essentially one large garden.] The 3 Stilletto I ended up with in 2002 were prolific enough by the next year that I could have 2 or 3 divisions for each of the original 11 'specimens'. I got several other plants the next couple of years to continue the line I'd begun in 2003. I have a couple more that are currently in a holding bed. And a couple of the original 11 could be down-sized slightly & I'd be the only one who would ever know. :wink: Stilletto is rather prolific.

OK, Jim - you can uncover your eyes & go on to the next response now.
Here's my one of my largest Stiletto 'specimens' in bloom last August. This one measured 8" H x 22" W. It didn't seem to mind being partially engulfed by a branching white violet - looked pretty when the violet was blooming.
Here's my one of my largest Stiletto 'specimens' in bloom last August. This one measured 8" H x 22" W. It didn't seem to mind being partially engulfed by a branching white violet - looked pretty when the violet was blooming.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

hubble- yes, hostas can go heat and drought dormant :D

Never tried it, but I to have learned a lot on this forum :wink:

I like Stiletto, fact I like it very much, just as I like Lemon Lime.. you can step on it, move it, neglect it, but it still Love you

But then, last year my 2 big clumps nearly disapeared right from spring time 3 or 4 eyes each and rather raggy looking. Didn't expect to see it again, but this year both of them are up with 30 or 40 eyes... any idea of what was going on :-?

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Jim--Hummmppphhh!! :lol:

Reldon---You tell 'em big guy. :cool: :lol:

Pia--I don't have a clue. It sounds like they went to "sleep" early and there was a lot of hanky panky going on. :eek:
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Very funny thread, here! :D :lol: I guess you never know what you'll find at the POTD! :lol: Love y'all!! :D
Charla
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I have never been tempted to get Stiletto, because it reminds me of a huge spider. :lol: This post may have changed my mind. You guys are a trip, that's for sure. :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Oh Joan......You don't have one? Well, maybe YOU should get one of mine....:lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Well you can't have one of mine, Joan :eek: - so you'd better take Lucy up on her offer. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

You just need to change the way you think about Stiletto, Joan. I like to see it as Phyllis Diller hair, sort of! :lol: Hope I don't put any bad images in anyone's mind...I love Phyllis Diller! :D
Charla
newtohosta-no more

:lol: Okay...I'd rather think of it as someone's awful wig than a spider. Phyllis Diller! What a visual!! :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

... but now I'msure I will think of you and a spider every time I looke at Stiletto :lol:

One good thing.. I'm not that scared of spiders :lol:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
newtohosta-no more

And that's my problem, Pia! I AM afraid of spiders!!! :eek: :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply