Pic of the Day--Stained Glass

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Stained Glass

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--I purchased one Stained Glass and received another as a gift in 2002. Today's plant has been growing in a spot that gets up to 6 hours or so of sun. As a sport of the plantaginea derivative, Guacamole, it should be able to take that a lot of sun without problems. So far, Stained Glass is doing wonderfully. I have started to consider it as one of the most attractive hostas in our collection. It's foliage is spectacular. Starting in 2003, it has measured 21x10, 23x13, 31x16 and 35x15 last summer. That puts in right in line with Lemke's listing of 32x15. It does attract slugs but the problem is controlled with Deadline MP.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ed%20Glass
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Stained+Glass
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/stainedglass.html

The pix are from 2002, 2004 and 2006.
Stained Glass vinca bank 6-26-06 005.jpg
Stained Glass vinca bed 7-2-04c.JPG
Stained Glass 6-24-02c 002.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Wonderful Hank! :D SG was new to me last year, I really look forward to seeing it transform into one that looks like yours in a few years. :D :D
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I was forced to say thank you to a gift one last spring and placed it in the pot in a sunny but a bit away orner :oops:

To my big surprise I noticed I looked at it more and more often and late summer it was planted in a spot for everyone to see.. 4 eyes this year and I am looking forward to say hello :D

Great Pics Hank thanks for all your efford :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

This one is at the top of my to get list. I love it! I do have Guacamole.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I have SG in FULL sun after I lost those 2 trees....it did good, as far as I remember.....I can't find a picture.....I know I have one, but......Anyone live close to come help me get a shade thingy built? :lol:

Thanks again Hank!!
jgh

Post by jgh »

I know... Stained Glass is all the rage. It was the 2006 Hosta of the Year and everybody seems to like it. It has been marketed as "an improved Guacamole."

It's a Hans Hansen / Shady Oaks 1999 registration. Their catalog description compares it to Guacamole, saying "Exhibiting the same rapid growth rate and mounding form, 'Stained Glass' differs by displaying its variegation earlier in the spring and maintaining a much brighter, brilliant gold throughout the season. Prominent veins throughout the leaf give it a "stained glass window" effect. Large fragrant near-white flowers perfume the garden in August."

I agree with the color description, and the flowers... but for me it has had a significantly slower growth rate than Guacamole and FGT and FB and after several years, it remains smaller than the rest of the family. There is also nothing about the veins that remind me of a stained glass window.

So I like SG... but I think I still prefer Guacamole. For me it is faster, larger... and I enjoy the changing colors through the season.

A pic from the garden I planted with my friend. She didn't believe me when I told her how far to space these two... she's going to have to move one of them this spring!
Attachments
Savage Guardian Angel, Stained Glass rdcd.JPG
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I like Stained Glass a lot too. Great pics everybody!! :P

I had mine in a shaded spot since 2003, but when I was rearranging 2 beds last summer, it got moved to a new sunny spot. Then the extreme hit & it held up pretty well for a while. Then one day it had had enough & the leaves started looking bad & it just kept on looking worse until there weren't many whole leaves left. I'm sure it'll be fine this year now that it's had time to get acclimated.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply