Planter in a Planter

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
renaldo75

Planter in a Planter

Post by renaldo75 »

Last fall I used concrete blocks to redo a bed on the south side of the house west of the concrete slab. I had one part 'raised' a little bit higher than the rest on 3 sides, but didn't want to take up space with more blocks. So I thought I would try to get a piece of metal to be the 4th side. Then a couple of days ago inspiration hit me & I used this piece of cement that I salvaged when I got the blocks last summer. And I found what I hope will hold it in place OK - old expandable curtain rods. Hopefully they'll work ok - they are all pretty long.

No pics since they had to be cut back, but I've got Guacamole in the upper deck & in the lower part, I've planted Fried Green Tomatoes [rear center] & Fried Bananas [SE corner]. I will add Fragrant Bouquet in the SW corner.
Attachments
4th wall from the inside
4th wall from the inside
4th wall from the outside
4th wall from the outside
overview where Guacamole was planted
overview where Guacamole was planted
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Here's a view from the west.
Attachments
2007 - 4-21 Garden 018b.jpg
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Looking good to me... they are on both sides and you are going to fill both sides of the wall :roll: with soil

:D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Yep. I took the before/during pics, but moved on to other things as soon as I had it done. So there's no after pics. :???: Yet. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I can't wait to see how great this is going to look when the plants are all up and growing. Isn't it weird how dismal things look when there is no green around. We had rain today and temps are climbing so it will look better soon, mulch and no plants is a dreary site.
Do you think that the curtain rods will rust away? Or by then I suppose that the dirt and plants will hold the cement piece in place. You come up with the neatest ideas. :wink: Now we will have to wait for some pictures. you better get your sitting area done so you can rest a bit after all that work :lol:
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for the nice comments, Maid. :P I don't know if the curtain rods will rust away or not. If they do, then I'll have to replace them or the wall will just fall over. My original idea was to use rebar, but I discovered these instead & liked the way they curve over the top of the concrete holding it secure. When the hostas are leafed out, I doubt that my 4th wall will be very visible.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I think it's going to look fantastic and I can't wait to see pics! I also love the fact that you've been able to recycle materials! New life for old stuff. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Brilliant!!!
I'm thinking the curtain rods might rust away over time, but not any time soon. When I was cleaning the back room of the basement this winter, I found some that had been down there for who knows how long. We've been here for 20 years, and I don't think I put them there. This is the part of the basement that leaked every time it rained, so they were constantly wet for years on end. They're rusty, but not rusted out.
Maybe if you run across some rebar you can just pound it in for a little extra reinforcement. Then, if the curtain rods begin to weaken, the rebar will hold it up.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks, Joan - I do the best I can with all of my old junk that rarely gets tossed. :wink: That's a good :idea: , Linda. Thanks!! :P
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply