Son of Substitute Pic Of The Day 4/24/07 - High Society

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Son of Substitute Pic Of The Day 4/24/07 - High Society

Post by jgh »

OK, Hank... so it's not a hosta named H. 'New Computer'... you have a new computer...

Never mind!

In the meantime...

Back in January the Sub POTD was Remember Me. In the list of Halcyon grandbabies, I omitted High Society... when it was pointed out to me, I realized I had actually ordered this one for this spring.

So, here is another of Hans Hansen / Shady Oaks June sports. registered in 2004. I'm not sure how this will end up comparing with the others. In color, it resembles Touch of Class (also a HH/SO registration). TOC is said to be a tetraploid... HS doesn't "feel" tetraploid to me. It certainly seems to have a nice lemon center and blue margin early on. The description suggests it will brighten to a white center later. Another thing that may make this plant useful is it is described as a small hosta... I think it might fit in where some of the other medium sized siblings won't fit.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... %20Society
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/High+Society
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/h/highsociety.html

A couple pics from my temporary "greenhouse"
High Society closeup rdcd.JPG
High Society group.jpg
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

HS

Post by thehostagourmet »

So, how does HS differ form June? Looks the same to me.

George
jgh

Post by jgh »

I'm not sure, George... this is my first time with it. I know that if I had June in this stage, I think their center would be less pronounced. So I think this one has a lighter center, is a much smaller plant, and maybe a bluer margin.

???
planwerk

Post by planwerk »

Grows slower, is somewhat smaller, lightens up to bright white in the center at the end of may and develops the blueish/green margins earlier compared to June.
Great sport and easy to differ from June and my customers love it (that's the best argument not only because of the money).

greetings planwerk
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

here's a pic I just took of my "High Society". I got it fall of 2005 and was very late getting it planted. Last year it actually lost a little size because of that I guess. It looked this year like it was going to be bigger, then we got the freeze. :o It is in a little bit of a protected area and I covered it with a flower pot, but most everything else was mush. This pic shows all its original leaves. A couple leaves got a little tattered, but no freeze damage. The new leaf coming in on the bottom left is beautiful. It responded very quickly after the freeze, too. It looks alot different than June and is a little heavier substance, I think. It is a small hosta. It is very pretty...I hope it performs well this year. :)
Attachments
april 25.jpg
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
sugar

Post by sugar »

It's a great plant, and quite different from June. Check out the Hostalibrary, and look at the last picture, which really does this plant justice...
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

Nice substitute! :) How is your Greenhouse Growing by the way??? Is it full yet :-?
wzbt03

HS

Post by wzbt03 »

I am trying my High Society in a pot this year. This little one has a very nice look to it.

I did have my first June start to leaf out also.
First June to leaf out for me this year.
First June to leaf out for me this year.
High Society.jpg
High Society.jpg (47.74 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
New Topic Post Reply