Pic of the Day--Sunshine Glory

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Sunshine Glory

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Today's plant, Sunshine Glory, might be a good example of the importance of location for some varieties. I bought the plant in 1999 and planted it in a spot that only got a little fleeting sun at the end of a day spent in full shade. It did not do well, growing very slowly and producing sparse foliage. In 2005 I moved it about 10 feet away, but to a spot that gets mostly high shade but also some occasional direct sun. Sunshine Glory has gloried (sorry, I just couldn't stop myself) in its new environment and became a much happier looking, fuller clump although it is still a long way from Zilis' listing of 60x28. Starting in 2001 its size as been 28x14, 24x17, 33x15, 31x17, 32x19, and 36x21 last summer. It does have distinctive, attractive foliage that has been free from slug damage. The pix are from 2002, 2005, and 2006.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ne%20Glory
MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Sunshine+Glory
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/sunshinesglory.html
Attachments
Sunshine Glory 6-26-06c.jpg
Sunshine Glory 6-24-02c035.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Always one of my favorites. :D

Mine is having a string of bad luck. Last year I moved it to a new slightly sunnier spot in the early fall. It was 12" H x 18" W, leaves were 5" W x 7.375" L, & it had 12 vein pairs. I have in my notes: treated for possible crown rot; strangled by tree roots; easily 1/2 the size it was last year. :???: And this year it was up early & already unfurling when the cold spell hit...
Attachments
mid-May 2005
mid-May 2005
leaf detail from early August 2005
leaf detail from early August 2005
Sunshine Glory-b.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I haven't been all happy with Sunshine Glory, the leaves grow every which way, different colors and sizes . . .no uniformity. Mine gets lots of morning sun and just looks messy.

But check out Han Hansen's at HL. Can that be for real?
Attachments
SunshineGloryE55.JPG
SunshineGloryE55.JPG (44.81 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Mary Ann--What you have happening looks like TWO sports. :cool: :bd: I would dig up the whole clump, keeping as many roots as possible, wash off the soil so you can clearly see where the different eyes are located in the crown, and divide off the eyes that have the "different" leaves. Then replant your plants.

The one with yellow coloring looks very attractive. :D
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

This one takes a while to mature but it is worth the wait! This one has not yet reached its full potential:
Attachments
SunshineGlory.JPG
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

One of my faves, too. Slow, definitely. I have a moment frozen in time in my mind. A friend and I were walking down the valley in her yard, looking up the hillside at a hosta planting. A shaft of sunlight broke through and landed on her very large, well-grown Sunshine Glory. It was transcendent.
Mine is not nearly so well-placed, but it's where I can see it from the kitchen window.
Linda P
Attachments
Sunshine Glory is in the upper left corner
Sunshine Glory is in the upper left corner
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
barbara

Post by barbara »

I always think this one looks better in nurseries in pots. I like it, but we have a love/hate relationship each Spring...guaranteed SG will get hit by a late freeze. I was walking around this aft., looking at what's poking through, and yup, SG is up way ahead of others in its neighbourhood. I'm not giving up on it, I think I simply haven't found the right spot to grow it,or its not deep enough... moved it only once. since I have it. May be time for a change of location. Would I replace it if I lost it? YES!
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Sunshine Glory

Post by redcrx »

I was wandering through my garden the other day and saw this plant as a stand-out in its space. Ivory Coast had been the "stand-out" in that space until the voles got to it - the replacement hasn't matured enough yet to show-off.
This is the third season for Sunshine Glory. That's St. Elmo's Fire in the bottom/right corner and Sum and Substance in the top/left corner. The green one one the left edge is a fortunei weedling. I don't know what that is in the top/right - doesn't look like a weedling maybe something that just went green. The Ivory Coast is just out of frame off the top/right corner - you can see a part of the basket it's in.
Sunshine Glory - June 3, 2017
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply