Favorite mini hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
wzbt03

Favorite mini hosta

Post by wzbt03 »

H. Lakeside Downsized

I like this one quite a bit and I think you will see why.

Add a picture to this thread of one of your favorites.
Lakeside Down Sized.jpg
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Very pretty! And perfect timing on this thread...I am almost ready to plant around my new water feature. I need lots of mini/small hosta for that and don’t have many. Will be watching this thread to decide which to get...so please, everyone, share your thoughts and pictures!

wanda
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

As soon as my hostas unfurl I'll try to add to this post too. Nothing really open yet, but they are coming along nicely.

The biggest problem I have with the minis is that some seem to do great in containers the first season but then seem to struggle in the ground over those first couple of winters, if they even survive the first :roll: . But if a mini is a strong grower it soon isn't a mini any longer but a "small" hosta (eg Blue Mouse Ears).

Hopefully I'll be able to get some pictures very soon and share some of the ones that have been doing better for me.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi wzbt03!!

I love the mini's and have a good number of them....I have not downloaded the pictures, but Cherish (I think that's the one,) looks so pretty today...and I have had it a couple years now....I really like my L. Baby Face, too....I love my Cracker Crumbs, too...and Silver Threads and Golden Needles is adorable.(I didn't have it on my list till just now....Don't know how that happened.)....Tiny Tears is TINY....but loaded with eyes....

Was the question...What's my favorite mini? :oops: :oops: :oops:
wzbt03

Another Mini - 'Bitsy Gold'

Post by wzbt03 »

This is a new addition to my gardens and should look a lot nicer later.
Some do not like my late afternoon photos with the sun but sometimes this is the only time I can take them. I put 4 mini gold hosta in a location where they will have this look toward the end of the day.

H. 'Bitsy Gold'
Bitsy Gold.jpg
hostalady

Post by hostalady »

Hi All,
I Agree with Chris, I have several mini's that are now small's. Like 'Little Wonder' and Little Town Flirt'. I like to keep mine where I can keep an eye (no pun intended :lol: )on them. So when a friend gave me an antique wheelbarrow I dressed it up a bit, put a liner in it and filled it full of mini's. The next year my daughter made me a wooden wheelbarrow and I filled it up too.....so I'll be hard pressed to pick a favorite. 'Sunllight Child' is glowingly beautiful (a gift from Greta-Hosta Farm- in honor of my grandson). And 'Pixie Vamp' and 'Hope' are just too cute..........sorry, I just can't seem to pick just one :lol: :lol:

Anne
Linda P

'Pandora's Box' & others

Post by Linda P »

Favorite? Probably Pandora's Box. No new pics, but I have some from last year.
Masquerade has done really well for me. I've only had to pull out green eyes a couple of times.
Stolen Kiss seems to grow well, and still stay a mini (and it came from Dirtpig in the one mini secret trade :D ).
Linda P
'Stolen Kiss'
'Stolen Kiss'
Stolen Kiss July 4 06.JPG (44.61 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
'Masquerade'
'Masquerade'
I love this pic of PB covered with the falling lilac flowers
I love this pic of PB covered with the falling lilac flowers
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
wzbt03

'Lakeside Baby Face'

Post by wzbt03 »

This one is always nice..

'Lakeside Baby Face'
Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... aby%20Face
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Lakeside+Baby+Face
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/l/la3.html
Lakeside Baby Face.jpg
bengal

'Pandora's Box'

Post by bengal »

I don't have enough hostas, let alone minis, to have a favorite. But here's one I'm glad to see reappearing. Pandora's Box is looking very nice this spring. Just wish I could take better pictures!
s Box May 4 (Small).jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, I will have to get my pictures downloaded....I have a L.Babyface that is just to adorable...I have had it a few years. I always is adorable!
New Topic Post Reply