Touch Of Class

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

hostadad

Touch Of Class

Post by hostadad »

I e-mailed Reldon some pictures of my garden and he suggested that I share this photo of my Touch Of Class.

David.
Attachments
Touch Of Class.jpg
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

And it was an excellent suggestion he made. :wink: :P That is a beauty, David!! :cool: I think you'd better post some more pics so I can ck them out in the morning.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
leslie

Post by leslie »

I am so glad Reldon suggested that you share this picture. It is very beautiful! I don't have Touch of Class, but I really need to get one.
Leslie

You don't have a garden just for yourself. You have it to share. ~Augusta Carter~
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Leslie!! :P How the heck are you?? I haven't been able to get out to any of the Shady Choice meetings so far this year. I'm hoping I can make it to the Randall's for the Memorial Day weekend picnic.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
wzbt03

Class

Post by wzbt03 »

Very nice picture. I have high hopes for mine this year.
It is a beautiful plant.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Beautiful, David! I'm glad you shared that with us. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
hostalady

Post by hostalady »

Beautiful. Be sure to post more for us.......
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

I can see how that one got it's name. Beautiful. And please more pictures! :D
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

That is stunning.

I am beginning to think the one I got as TOC might not be... the center yellow is much wider on mine than most of the plants I've seen photos of... but then again mine is a tiny baby, so maybe it will straighten out with maturity.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Beautiful pic! This was on my list and yesterday DH took me hosta shopping so picked up Touch of Class, Capt. Kirk, Risky Business and June!! Plus Heuchera Snow Angel!! :P :P

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Wow! :o Touch of class is one of my favorite one my wish list! :D
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Wow!!! That's just a stunning pic. Thanks for sharing it, and thanks Renaldo, for twisting David's arm..... :???:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Alexa, my TOC does not look like Davids either, so I thought I would post a pic of mine to see if it looks like yours. Mine is just a baby also. At least it came back this year and hasn't turned to mush yet. Maybe there is hope that mine will look like David's someday.
Thanks, Sue
Attachments
Touch of Class.jpg
hostadad

Post by hostadad »

Thank you for your nice comments. Several years I climbed up on my roof and took some pictures of some of my hostas from that viewpoint. They are much more developed now. I hope to do that again in a few weeks after all the hostas unfurl. It will be titled "Hostas From The Sky- II"
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Touch of Class

Post by addieotto »

That is such a beautiful, rich color in your photo. My Touch of Class is also young like Sue's. I took this photo this weekend of TOC unfurling.
Attachments
2007 Touch of Class 050507.JPG
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

nanny_56 wrote:Beautiful pic! This was on my list and yesterday DH took me hosta shopping so picked up Touch of Class, Capt. Kirk, Risky Business and June!! Plus Heuchera Snow Angel!! :P :P

Claudia
I want to know how you did that?!?

Nice pic of that Touch of Class. Beautiful hosta.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
jgh

Post by jgh »

There's an almost endless number of variations in the June sport category... some named on how yellow or white the center gets late in the season, also varying with the width of the margins.

As far as I know, though, TOC is the only one on the market that is also a tetraploid. I guess we should expect to see several registrations depending on how wide or narrow the margins are on otherwise similar tetraploids. (Ala the difference between sieboldianas like Great Expectations and Thunderbolt...)

So how wide should the margins be on TOC? Since TOC is a Shady Oaks registration, I expect their picture to be the typical. The picture in their catalog shows about the middle 1/3 as yellow. Their description says it "emerges in the spring with intense blue leaves with a gold flame in the leaf center. A green pattern occurs where the gold and blue overlap. The leaves have an incredible thick substance and held more upright than 'June.'"

That matches up pretty well with my garden plant and the dozen young plants I've got in the greenhouse... about 1/3-1/3-1/3 distribution of color - though there is considerable variation even within the same eye, as is seen in the attached photo.

to me, Addiotto's seems the closest "to type" , Suedia's looks to have a wider center, and David's appears to be narrower. Actually, the Shady Oaks picture is somewhere between... narrower than Addiotto's and wider than Davids.

If they all have that thick tetraploid leaf, then we are indeed playing around with "how different is different enough?" to call it a sport of a sport and name it. I think David's approaches that. The very narrow center reminds me of Thunderbolt. On the other hand, Suedia's may be wide enough to justify differentiation from TOC as well.

So, David... If the whole plant keeps that narrow center, I'd be watching it closely. A nice experiment would be to get another TOC and plant them near each other. That's what I did with a sport from Sagae. Growing right next to each other, I could see that the sport was, indeed, different enough in color and texture to register it...
Attachments
14 Touch of Class  early 2005.JPG
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Charla, well MOTHERS DAY is next weekend you know!! Plus, he really likes the hostas too!! I picked out 2 and let him pick out 2. :lol: :lol:

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

nanny_56 wrote:Charla, well MOTHERS DAY is next weekend you know!! Plus, he really likes the hostas too!! I picked out 2 and let him pick out 2. :lol: :lol:

Claudia
Hmmmmm....I'll see if I can't work that direction.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Great pic, David!
I saw this post the other day, and would like to add a few musings of my own.
I got Touch of Class in a Hallson's trade long ago. Mine has the narrower center swath that David's plant exhibits. It's not a sport, it's just more mature. The leaves on mine last year were wider than the registered size, so I assume the registration was premature.
Here's mine from today.....there's 9 eyes there waiting to explode. :P
Attachments
Touch of class.jpg
New Topic Post Reply