Pic of the Day--Stetson

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Stetson

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--I purchased Stetson in 2000 and placed it in an area that needed a medium to large sized plant, believing that Stetson would be about 45x18 since it is described as a sport of Wide Brim. After a few years I gave up on it when it became apparent that it would not reach that size and moved it to its present location where it gets little, if any, direct sun. Since 2001 its measurements have been 19x9, 20x9, 28x9, 30x13, 28x11, and 30x10. This variety does have unusually upturned leaf edges, giving it the name of the western style hat with the upturned brim. Beyond that, however, the plant has been something of a slug magnet and also has ratty looking leaves by the end of the season. Not one of my favorites.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ty=Stetson
MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Stetson
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/stetson.html
Stetson 6-26-06c.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Hi Hank, nice pic, and thanks for the info on Stetson...I had it on my wish list, but after hearing how it performs, I think I'll pass.
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Hank, I love the pic of the day. It's no-holds-barred. Good or bad, it's all laid out on the table. 8-)
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

'Stetson'

Post by thehostagourmet »

Hank, I envy your vast space for beds that you can keep Hostas I would have shovel pruned years ago.

If you like that longitudinally folded look, 'Showboat' has it on a much prettier plant.

George
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

HostaDesigner--Well, if we read catalogs, we'd have to believe that every hosta variety is well above average, problem free, and the highlight of every garden. And while the Hosta Library is a wonderful source of information, too many of the data base descriptions are literally taken from catalogs. One of the things I hope folks can get from my Pic of the Day is a relatively objective description of how the plant performs in our garden.

George--It is nice having as much room as we do. The upturned leaves on Stetson at least make it a bit different. Do you have a photo of Showboat?
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Showboat

Post by thehostagourmet »

Hank, it's a 1993 Lachman registration. My picture is from 2005. The leaves as they open are folded like a canoe, thus the name, then become relatively flat. Very impressive creamy margin in the early season.

George
Attachments
Showboat.jpg
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Ack - Stetson

Post by addieotto »

I too have had trouble with this plant despite the fact I've only had it for one year. When I got it, I thought it was really odd that the Grenfell Hosta Encyclopedia said to site it "not under a tree canopy". What the heck kind of advice is that for a shade garden plant? And then the author of book said it would increase rather rapidly. WRONG!

My experience thus far has been zero growth and ratty leaves. As Hank said, if every catalogue description was accurate... well darn we would all have amazing gardens wouldn't we?

It's just emerging this year. Photo is last year's Stetson before it got too ratty.
Attachments
stetson.JPG
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
poppi

Post by poppi »

How much sun did it get before you moved it? Do you tihnk it's best in mostly shade. I have one where it get's part sun and was wondering if that's too much.

Thanks
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I tend to discount any of Grenfell's cultural advice I've read in the 1st book or heard quoted from the 2nd. Alternate universe maybe?? It never seems to apply to this one anyway... :???: The pictures are wonderful though. :P

I've got Stetson and it's been under a tree canopy since it was planted. The appearance has looked good. I've never observed it looking ratty later in the season as Hank or others mention. But it hasn't grown either. I would attribute that to the evil crab apple roots it's had to steal water from. It's been moved now so I'll let you know if it does anything next year. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

It's a cute small hosta anyway, but always looks thirsty to me. This one is at the base of a Magnolia, gets very little sun.
Attachments
Stetson.jpg
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Poppi--My plant was getting maybe three hours or so in its original bed.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
New Topic Post Reply