Pic of the Day--Blue Canoe

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Blue Canoe

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Blue Canoe was added to the garden in 2003 as a 14x9 plant. It has slowly increased, measuring 22x10 in 2004, 24x12 in 2005 and 28x11 in 2006. As you can see from the pix, there has not been a great increase in the number of leaves. Lemke lists it as 19x16, based on registration information. However, the flat shape of the mound of my plant does not seem likely to produce that kind of measurement. The elongated, upturned leaf edges is what makes this plant unique and gives it it's name. Apparently, the variety had good, blue coloring when it originated but the plants now being sold in the States are chartreuse. Slugs have not bothered Blue Canoe but it was damaged in 2004 (the 2nd pic) but what I believe was a species of cutworms. The other photos are from 2003 and 2006.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ue%20Canoe

MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Blue+Canoe

Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/b/bluecanoe.html
Blue Canoe 6-26-06c 029.jpg
Blue Canoe 7-2-04c.JPG
Blue Canoe 6-26-03c 033.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Blue Canoe

Post by thehostagourmet »

Hank, your patience is extrordinary! Another I would have shovel pruned long ago. Imagine a blue canoe that's really chartreuse. What a con!

George
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I believe I've read on Naylor's website that Blue Canoe is indeed blue in England, but when it was planted in the US it has always been green. They have no idea why, but hostas are interesting creatures. :o I'd be interested to know if one from the US was sent back to England, if it would turn back to blue again. :hmm: :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:lol: i didn't belive my eyes when I saw the pics

do not have it in the garden ´but it is blue here and an medium grower
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jgh

Post by jgh »

I think I've noted before the odd quality that yellow-green hostas often have a bluish tinge. For me, BC gives a distinctly bluish impression in the deep shade spot I've got it... and then it gets more chartreuse. It's not blue... it is chartreuse... but with a bluish tinge.

I just went out to check... mine hasn't unfurled yet this year... the eyes look to be green... but the outer layer of each eye is quite bluish looking :)
Just checked the date... this was taken June 1, 2005.
Just checked the date... this was taken June 1, 2005.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Mine looks bluish-green early in the season but lightens up a bit as the summer approaches. These are last year's pics.
A little beaten down after a storm the day before.
A little beaten down after a storm the day before.
BlueCanoeMay10.05.jpg
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply