Pic of the Day--Platinum Tiara

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Platinum Tiara

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--Finally, The Nightmare on Loser's Lane is behind us and we're back to the sweet dreams of the (almost) perfect hosta varieties. Platinum Tiara has been a very good plant for us since 1993. Because of its low profile, attractive foliage and rapid growth rate, I have divided this plant several times. In one case, I cut it in half, made about 8 or 9 divisions from the divided section and planted those in a group. Within a couple of years we had a full canopy covering a section under some pines. The third photo shows the group planting. The original plant is in the first two photos, growing in a spot that gets several hours of sun at some times of the year and an hour or so at other times. It's size varies by a couple of inches each year but averages out to be a few inches bigger than Zilis' listing of 29x11 for a mature clump. As you can see from the photos, this particular plant has also started to have many of its leaves lose their variegation. Apparently the clump is reverting to its sport parent, Golden Scepter. Platinum Tiara does need slug protection.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... um%20Tiara
MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Platinum+Tiara
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/p/plat.html
Platinum Tiara 6-26-06c.jpg
Platinum Tiara 6-24-02c 050.jpg
Platinum Tiara bed 6-26-06 012.jpg
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

My secret tradee gets some of this one! From the clump that's not splitting itself into a Pt Tiara/Au Scepter two-fer. (the clump that's being swallowed by the ever-increasing canopy of Niagara Falls)

It does appreciate a bit of sun for best color. More tolerant than I might have thought, as the leaves don't have the greatest substance.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That one sure looks nice, Hank!! I especially like your mass planting of it. :P Looks like you've got some reverting going on in the center plant on the far side too.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
digs57

Post by digs57 »

I love that colour combination - gold with white! It's definitely on my wish list. Great photos, thank you Hank.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Hank, I too, am glad to be out of Loser's Lane, but I really do want to thank you for that tour. I am kinda new at this and I have made a "don't buy" list. Thanks for the input, cuz a few of the loser's were on my wish list. Thanks again!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Good idea Charla about a "don't buy" list!!

Glad we are done with the bad and on to the pretties too!!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Hank, I first encountered PT at a local nursery when they were clearing out their remaining seasonal inventory a couple of years ago. I just fell in love with that pale yellow with the white variegation and it was pretty inexpensive as well, seem to recall paying something like $6 for a 5 inch pot with about 7 or 8 shoots. I now have 3 around the yard and make sure they receive their obligatory sun exposure to keep showing that lovely shade of yellow that attracted me to it in the first place.
P7090018.jpg
P7090018.jpg (38.39 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Pieter--Do you have any problems with burn out? Your plant is much more yellow than the ones I grow. I assume that is because of the greater sun exposure.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Hank, as a matter of fact, the spot I had one of them in last year did cause some burn out, but not nearly as bad as the Gold Standard that was in the same spot. Both have been relocated for somewhat less midday sun exposure and I'll refresh the post later in the season with some updated shots. The one I posted was shot on July 19th last year I believe. The sun exposure did make a very noticeable contribution to the overall colouration of the plant and I must admit a liking for that pale yellow, it's so unique.

The spot this was in has now been given to a newly acquired plantaginea Venus and I expect it to fare much better. Matter of fact being just north of the 49th parallel I'm somewhat concerned about it perhaps not being intense enough for Venus' liking, from what I'm reading about it. Certainly with your latitude of 43°39′46″N you will find a difference from me with respect to the sun's angle and therefor intensity and I might be able to get away with an exposure level you cannot.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Hank Zumach

Post by Hank Zumach »

Pieter--That makes a lot of sense. I keep forgetting about the strong effect of differences in latitude.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Pic of the Day--Platinum Tiara

Post by redcrx »

I have had Platinum Tiara since 2009. It is a beautiful plant.
I have a few of them - one cluster planted in my Tiara group and a pair planted towards the back of my yard with a lot of shade.
Here are the two in 2009 surrounded by Pilgrim:
Platinum Tiara - June 25, 2009
Here is one of those two in 2011 again with Pilgrim:
Platinum Tiara - May 14, 2011
Platinum Tiara - May 14, 2011
Here is the other cluster in 2011:
Platinum Tiara - July 9, 2011
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply