Please help! Pill bug disaster

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

impatience wrote:Now what am I to drench the soil with? I have 1\4 acre (which are mostly beds and little house). I'd need a helicopter to drench.
Do you have a hose-end sprayer? It would take a little while, but you could just use it to water heavily around your plants without watering on them...only thing I can think of...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ademink

Post by ademink »

:lol: my head off at you, Reldon! Too funny!
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
impatience

Post by impatience »

Ginger, what a nice offer. Problem is I wouldn't know where to start.

If it would stop raining long enough to do anything outdoors I could see how things are going. The plants sure look better at a distance anyway. :???:
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
Hostaville
USDA Zone: 6

Re: Please help! Pill bug disaster

Post by Hostaville »

I am with you in this battle to save my hosta sprouts from sow bugs and rolly polys! I live in Michigan (wet spring and summer this year) and have been told by all sources that the problem could not be rolly polys or sow bugs. I believed that until I saw them covering the ground and up the roots at the base of each sprout when I lifted the leaves. They have mowed through 9 of 12 hosta sprouts I started this year. There are so many in my yard that the birds flock to my woods, run along my hostas, and feast. I am trying suggestions of coffee grounds at the base, DE, less watering to dry the soil, the cantaloupe trick (works but would literally be a full time job), and now I am turning to making the area as hospitable as possible for the birds and their all you can eat buffet! Bird bath, flipping over rocks in the am and watering early am when the birds like to eat. All to get these last 3 sprouts to 6 inches off the ground. I do wish you the best in this battle for the hostas and would love someone to acknowledge the reality and invasiveness of an over population problem.
New Topic Post Reply