A Sea Lightning saga

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
newtohosta-no more

A Sea Lightning saga

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I have a beautiful Sea Lightning planted and I noticed that it had a few leaves that were reverting to solid green and a few others doing strange things. So I thought I'd dig it up and separate the solid green eyes out and replant. Once I got the plant out of the ground I discovered that the solid green wasn't on just one eye. They were all mixed up and when I attempted to separate them I managed to removed some of the best streaked leaves without the crown!! GRRRRRR....So I dipped those leaves in a bit of root tone and potted them up with the hopes that some new roots will grow. I'll keep them watered and cross my fingers. :roll:
Attachments
This is the rest that I divided out of the original plant
This is the rest that I divided out of the original plant
The rest of the plant went back in the ground.
The rest of the plant went back in the ground.
Beautiful leaves with no crown.
Beautiful leaves with no crown.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Very :cool: Looks like you're finding all kinds of neat surprises in your garden! what fun and gets you out there, even with these hot and muggy days!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Joan. That often works with the cheapies, but in my experience, not often for the special hostas that mean so much more to us. Let us know if you are successful.

Lynn
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Those are some good looking leaves. :cool: Good luck with your rooting efforts!! :P I had some like that last year & I just kept them in a plastic saucer & kept the soil in it evenly moist. I called it 'muck'. :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Good luck with it Joan. :D It sure is pretty. Let us know what happens.

I failed to separate the blue/green eyes off of Saybrook Surprise last year. When it came up this year it was all blue/green. Yesterday I found two tiny eyes of the real SS coming up at the base. I hope they have some roots attached to them.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Hope they will make new roots for you :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
druff

Post by druff »

yep, i did the same thing with a streaked garnet prince sport. i put the leaves in rooting gel. and i can see new roots emerging now. i really didn't think i had any crown. but the roots are coming.

doug.
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

This also happened to me, but it was only the green part that reverted on Independence for me. I also put it in rootone and put it in good potting soil. I looked at it over the weekend as the leaves were looking pretty brown. But when I washed the dirt off there was a nice root growing. So back into the rootone and into the potting soil. I cut off a couple of the worst leaves. Also I put it in a plastic bag so it will act as a little green house, until it getting going better. Good luck.
Sue
druff

Post by druff »

the gel packs are nice because you can see the daily progress. or lack of it.

doug
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Doug,
Can you tell me where you purchase your rootone jel packs?
I have never seen those, and I have a feeling I will need to root other hostas as I need to split off the reverted part of Revolution.
Thanks,
Sue
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I had something similar happen to me last year with Galaxy - part was reverting and when I tried to divide out the solid-colored leaves I managed to mangle most of the plant. I did my best getting out the reverted eyes and put the rest back in the ground. It looked horrible for the rest of last year, but this year it has come back huge and gorgeous, and very Galaxy-ish! So hang in there, and I really hope you have good luck getting some of those leaves to root.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
druff

Post by druff »

sue
i picked these up at the local menards for propagating cuttings. i don't remember the brand. ....but it worked great for geranium and potatoe vine etc.

so when i accidentally lopped off my sport, i thought i'd give it a try.

its working. this is after 2 weeks. the leaf doesn't seem to know its been cut off. :)

doug
Attachments
garnet-prince-sport.jpg
garnet-prince-roots.jpg
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Doug,
Thanks so much, will look for it at Menards next time I am there. The pictures sure helped. I will wait to divide my revolution's green part out until I can get the jel pack. I'm not very optimistic on how I will do with it.
Sue
Jaspersail

Post by Jaspersail »

That's pretty neat, Doug. Thanks for sharing!

--John
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Good to know! Thanks for sharing all this valuable info everyone!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
SilkKnoll
USDA Zone: 8

Re: A Sea Lightning saga

Post by SilkKnoll »

@Patrushka: Your all-blue Saybrook Surprise might be more properly a reversion rather than a sport, since Saybrook Surprise itself is a sport of Perry's True Blue. If you were able to keep both ... well, now you have two registered hostas instead of one.
New Topic Post Reply