Hallson's hosta happening

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

nmb

Hallson's hosta happening

Post by nmb »

Is it too early to ask if we're having a get together this year?? Has a date been picked yet?

Mary
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

No, not too early at all. I've been meaning to post for months!

UPDATE: I have the date set on my calendar for Saturday, July 28th. Last year everyone had a great time simply visiting here, and as usual some people arrived the night before and the last visitors left Monday morning.

We will have lunch around Noon to 1pm (menu to be determined), so arrive in the morning at your convenience and join us for as long as you want!

This year we will again do the raffle that was started last year by Robin with her trinkets from her travels. And if people want we can again do hosta trades and the plant auction.

I was thinking about doing the plant auction as a silent auction where people put down their bids on a piece of paper ahead of time and then at a set time (2pm/3pm?) we announce the winners. Or would you rather all still have me stand up there waving plants in the air? Let me know what you think on that one.

Finally, Brian and I will do a drawing for 3 $25 gas cards. One ticket will be given out per vehicle and we will do a drawing after lunch to give away the gas cards. When you arrive see me or Brian for name tags and a ticket to the gas card drawing (please be fair and only get one ticket per car to give everyone a fair chance).

If anyone else can think of things let me know :)

Chris
Last edited by Chris_W on Jul 01, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It's on my calendar, but I don't know if I'll have the $$$$ left to be able to make it.
Chris, I would love to be able to see you waving plants around in the air and auctioning them off!!!! :D
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Chris & Brian: Baked spaghetti again, please? I love that stuff! Oh, and please do have the auction and continue waving the plants? I love the spirited bidding and competitive nature...even if I always get outbid (hehe). And would love to have the trade again - everyone brings such nice plants! So far, I know I am bringing Bud Is Wiser for the auction, not sure what else yet.

I’ll bring some sort of dessert again, if you like.

wanda
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

It's good to know the date well in advance, Chris, so now I have to find out what other obligations I have and make sure I can come this year. I sure do enjoy seeing all of you!
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Chris_W wrote:
I was thinking about doing the plant auction as a silent auction where people put down their bids on a piece of paper ahead of time and then at a set time (2pm/3pm?) we announce the winners. Or would you rather all still have me stand up there waving plants in the air? Let me know what you think on that one.

Chris
Nope....I want to be able to yell my bid and know where I am in the bidding....JMO

And just so everyone knows.....Bud is Wiser is MINE! :lol:

Oh boy, I can not wait....I will be bringing the little Otome somthing or other for the auction again, too.....:-)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Have to agree that an open auction was a lot fun last and looking forward to it this year as well! Especially since I haven't bought ONE hosta this year! :eek:

Have to keep my eye on Wanda and LG though. They are fierce competitors when it comes to auctions of the Hosta variety! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Sounds like fun and yes, Chris, has to be auctioneer.
If Gary is feeling up to it we'll be there
After this past year I need some lively entertainment!
I also like the idea of people bringing "garden stuff" and then doing a drawing as well.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Chris,

I'm trying to talk my SO into making the 500 mile drive for the get together. Any chance you could steer us to good inexpensive hotel/motel etc in the area? We're totally unfamiliar with Michigan.

Thanks!
MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I was hoping to come but we are getting fence installed in the next couple of weeks so that takes care of all available funds plus some!! Darn!!

But I am tired of chasing Buddy(our minpin) who chases all squirrels & chipmunks! And we have an army of chipmunks here!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Dee

Post by Dee »

MollyD,

I think I found the thread from last year, when folks were planning things. Looks like Chris had a few ideas about hotels. Just ignore the dates and rates because they are last year's! Hope this helps a little in your planning? :)

Link to thread (I think) http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... n&start=80

Chris_W wrote:I was just checking on the local bed and breakfasts and the closest one is the Brickhouse of Somerset. It is literally around the corner from us:

http://www.getaway2smi.com/inns/brickho ... merset.htm

Sandy is a nice lady and shops here occasionally. Call her for rates - I would check here first.

Another one of our customers are David and Kathy Jean Salley who run the Sheltowee Trace B & B. Their website is www.sheltoweetracebb.com The only thing might be their rates are (I think) $89 a night, and they are 20 miles away (about 30 minutes) but they are a very nice couple and I've heard that they have a really nice place with great gardens. You could check with them if you want.

Another place you can search is this website: http://www.bbonline.com/mi/smi/east.html

I've heard good things about Dewey Lake Manor, but I'm not sure how far it is. Brooklyn is nearby, and probably closer than the Cavannagh Inn - just not a straight shot down US-127.

Another close one is the Gambrell House, probably just as close as the Brickhouse. But Gloria is a bit of an odd duck - however I bet most people who run B & Bs might be like that.

The Super8 in Brooklyn seems to always be booked up well in advance.

Just around the corner is the Somerset Motel (about 1 mile away):

Somerset Motel, 13980 East Chicago Road (Us 12), 49233 (517)-547-7241 They have lots of rooms for August 4th (Friday) but they only have 4 rooms available Saturday night - 2 smoking rooms and 2 non-smoking rooms, so book now if you want. They are $48 + tax.

I hope that helps. Let me know what you decide or if you have any questions about these places. I would also be happy to go check some of them out in person for you, especially the close ones.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

thanks for finding that old info Dee! The Super 8 motel in Brooklyn is the closest "chain" motel, but like I mentioned before, they do book up fast, so call them now to see if they have anything.

However, the bed and breakfasts generally have the same rates and can be just as nice or better than a motel. Joan stayed at one about 5 miles away last year but I don't remember the name of it. She could probably tell you more.

And the Somerset Motel is just around the corner, but they are right next to a cow farm, so I wonder sometimes if there isn't a problem with the smell... If they have rooms available you might want to ask about that.

Like I said, we will be raffling off 3 gas cards for $25 each so 3 lucky drivers will get some free gas, although I'm sure that isn't enough for 500 miles. It would be nice to meet you, Molly, so hopefully you can swing it :D
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

:cry: :cry: Dag nab it!!! I wanted to at least try to come this year, it sounds like you all have so much fun, but I will be in Kansas City MO for a conference!!!
We need to bring you northern folks down south for a hoe down!! How about it southsiders, should we see what we can come up with for next year???

Ginger
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

One thing Europe people agree on is.. we need to have it at least one time in Europe :D

No way :o - I do not want to see small pieces of papers in a hat... you have to wave them Chris :lol:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

The date is on my calendar and I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone!
Chris, I guess our group is more vocal than silent!! :lol: :wink:
Bonnie
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Joan just informed me and I double checked it, but there is an Indy car race on Sunday, August 5th, so motels are booked up and rates are higher for that weekend.

I thought I had checked on this, but this is NOT a NASCAR race, so there won't be much traffic. But the motel room situation might be tougher.

For those needing a room that weekend, please send me a PM and I will check around. If the situation is really bad around here we may need to move things either up a weekend (end of July) or back a weekend to August 11th.

And I really thought I checked this out earlier. Sorry about that!

Chris
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, I never would have thought of a indy race in august either there, so don't fret Chris! We know you plan as well as you can when you do this! And it's all really appreciated!

Hoping (so far) that we'll be there also! Had a riot last year! Almost as much fun as LG had! :lol:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

Dee thank you for that link!
Chris I'm working on it. Sounded easier than it's turning out to be! August is best for us so far. July not good at all.

Not sure how we'd go about bringing some eats/trade but where there's a will there's a way!

Those B & B's are turning out to be way more expensive than the motels!! Probably much more comfortable but for two nights I'd sleep on the floor! Leaves more money for hostas and other plants :lol:

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Disappointing , isn't it? :( I know Aug. 4th would have been a great weekend for me, but apparently there is not only a race that weekend, but a Festival going on as well....or so I was told. One of the B&B's told me the price of a room for just the one night would be $150! Normally that room would be $89. They only had one room left. I called another hotel and they were already booked, except for two smoking rooms. (I can't tolerate the smoke smell all night). I put in another call to another place and I'm waiting for a return call. I would imagine that the rooms in Brooklyn itself will be the same, if there are any left available. Coupled with the high price of gasoline, the higher room prices and the scarcity of rooms might keep some people from coming that weekend, so I let Chris know right away. Hope it all works out in the end! Sorry, Chris, that you might have to do some last minute schedule shuffling. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I've been checking hotels and rates and YIKES they are taking people to the cleaners :eek:

This makes August 4th a bad time, which I know won't be convenient for some people :(

Let me know which works out better - the last weekend in July, (Saturday, July 28th) or the following weekend (Saturday, August 11th).

It looks like rooms won't be a problem for the 28th, but the 11th looks like slim pickings, just not those horrible prices.

Again, I'm really sorry about the scheduling conflicts.
New Topic Post Reply