Pic of the Day--Fringe Benefit

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Hank Zumach

Pic of the Day--Fringe Benefit

Post by Hank Zumach »

Hi All--The sizes that various hosta varieties obtain is an interesting subject. Naturally, the conditions they are grown under are a major factor. The age of the plant is a trickier topic. While most of us are familiar with the expression "sleep, creep, and leap" in describing the first 3 or four years of a typical plants growth pattern, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency when dealing with the age at which a variety obtains its maximum expected size. In general, I have read that a plant will reach full maturity at around 5- 7 years of age and that seems to work for most of the varieties we have growing in our garden. However, there are some real surprises. An example is today's plant, Fringe Benefit.

I have had the plant since 1994 and have it growing on the north side of our home where it gets a little direct sun during the peak of the summer. By 2005 its size had reached an average about 47x20. Then in 2006, at and age of about 15 years, it moved up to 52x18 and this year it is 54x18. That strikes me a pretty good percentage increase for this old, dependable plant. On the other hand that finally puts it in line with Zilis' listing of 56x22, so maybe I just have a slow learner.

At any size, Fringe Benefit is a very good, solid performer. Similar in over all appearance to Undulata Albomarginata, it has fewer slug problems and holds up until later in the season than UA and I would recommend it to those who might be considering which of the two varieties to add to the garden.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... %20Benefit
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Fringe+Benefit
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/f/fringebenefit.html
fringe Benefit 6-25-07c 052.jpg
Last edited by Hank Zumach on Jul 13, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hank
Better Gnomes & Gardens
zone 4B-5A
Latitude: 43° 48' 51" N
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Much nicer looking than UA IMOP!

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Looks great, Hank! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

I like the bigger leaf shape on this one compated to UA. Seems to make a bigger impact.

Nice looking plant! I have a soft spot for the white margined ones....my Francee plants (though pretty mundane compared to other 'more exciting' hosta) have brought me many years of enjoyment.

Just because they are less exciting in no way makes them 'less' IMO!
Jaime
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Bigger leaf

Post by jobranch »

That's what I was going to say - leaf looks wider. Good looking plant and it must be more stable than UA.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Very nice!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply