'Elvis Lives' as a parent

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
HostaDesigner

'Elvis Lives' as a parent

Post by HostaDesigner »

...either pollen OR pod parent...I'm struggling with this one. I have yet to get a single pod to form using EL. Is this one touchy for anyone? This is my first year using it.

I can't even get a ridiculously fertile F1 seedling of 'Outrageous' to set a pod with it.

:roll:
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Last summer I tried Elvis lives as pod and donner -- no luck at all. The couple of pods that looked like they may have seeds had nothing! I won't even bother this year.
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

No luck with Elvis Lives here either. Cross Green Fountain or Spritzer with blue plants and you might get a similar but more fertile plant for the effect you want from Elvis Lives.
wzbt03

EL

Post by wzbt03 »

I have a very mature specimen of Elvis Lives that I have been playing with the year. No luck either direction so far but I have not given up.
I has about 10 scapes full of flowers and even though they are going to be finished in a week or two, there is some promising looking ones.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

If everyone else is having the same trouble, I'll probably give up on it this year. It's pretty sad to see these aborted pods fall off of great pod parents time after time. :( I'm running out of flowers until the fragrant ones start blooming.
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

Don't give up :o 'E.L.' pollen has made for some wonderfull plants here :P try it on your favorite streak :cool:
Mr. Leafmould
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

leafmould wrote:Don't give up :o 'E.L.' pollen has made for some wonderfull plants here :P try it on your favorite streak :cool:
That's my problem! :lol: It doesn't work! If YOU say it works, I'll keep going. You've had some really great plants. :)
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Works here for me. No fuss, no Muss. Try that pod parent pollen around the outside, and the EL on the tip, bet it will work for you. Is what you are using as a pod parent setting seed using other pollen? Could also be the humidity, try it on a cooler, drier day maybe.
lykaon78

Post by lykaon78 »

Maybe you could try Green Fountain for similar traits. I believe GF is Elivis Lives' daddy. GF is also in the parantage for Kent Terpening's Ringtail.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Well, it's 6:58 and I'm coming inside after another morning of pollinating. EL is heavy with bloom/pollen this morning, so I tried again:

Outstanding streaker parent 1
[(Christmas Tree x m. macrophylla x Niagara Falls x Sea Dragon)F1] x 'Elvis Lives'

Outstanding streaker parent 2
'Mildred's Best' F1 x 'Elvis Lives'

('Fragrant Blue' x 'Maekawa') x 'Elvis Lives'

Fingers crossed again. It's a beautiful morning and is suppose to be a perfect day, so hopefully they'll accept the pollen.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Well, here goes nothin'! :lol: I'll find out in a few days!
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

HostaDesigner, hope it works for you!! What kind of tags are you using and where did you get them?
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

baja220 wrote:HostaDesigner, hope it works for you!! What kind of tags are you using and where did you get them?
See this:
http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... hp?t=45127

They really work great. :)
NWhosta4life

Post by NWhosta4life »

I have had great luck with EL unless the heat factor is into play. Most of what i have done has been EL as a pod parent ,however, i am doing more pollen work this year. Keep trying, the EL leaf form is quite dominate in the crosses. :P I'll try to post a pic of one of my EL hybrids :wink:
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Does everyone realize that Mr. Leafmold may have given us a tinsy tiny bit of insight into his ammmmaaaazing breeding program... Or, he wants to throw us off track...
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
wzbt03

Kind of sad looking.

Post by wzbt03 »

I guess I did get at least one sad looking pod forming on my Elvis Lives.
Attachments
Elvis Pod.jpg
Elvis Pod.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
MollyD

Post by MollyD »

That looks like the same sad pod on my Spilt Milk! Will they make it to maturity?

MollyD
MollyD's Hosta list
Lat: 42.89N, Lon: 77.28W
New Topic Post Reply