ID help, please

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
adlesma

ID help, please

Post by adlesma »

This will be easy for you all, I know, but I can't seem to pin it down from the pictures that I've looked at.

This one actually looks more yellow in reality.

The leaves here are wet, not really this shiny. It also looks a little more blue than is shown here, to my eye.

This is a little blurry, sorry. It was getting dark and I didn't want to use the flash.

Also, I've been told that all of the little holes are slug damage, but I've been out there at night looking for them and can't find any. Could this damage be anything else?

Thanks for your help.
Nancy
ademink

Post by ademink »

My guesses:

August Moon
Elegans
Hyacinthia
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

I thought the yellow one might be August Moon. I've had the blue one for two or three (or maybe more?) years, and it hasn't gotten much bigger than this. It would be nice if it was Elegans - although then I will have to move it. Hyacinthia usually have fragrant flowers, don't they? (I think I've read that here.) I don't recall seeing flowers on this, ever. Could it just be because it's pretty much in total shade?
Thanks,
Nancy
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

August moon likely , Elegans likely (done flowering and very fertile)
Third:
Hyacinthina I doubt. H is not fragrant.
Might be Undulata erromena but it should flower easily.
adlesma

Post by adlesma »

I wish the unknown one would flower - that would help with the ID. Sounds like August Moon and Elegans it is for the other two. I do have what I guess are seed pods on the Elegans? If I want to try to plant them, how long do I leave them on the plant? I also had a scape with pods on it on my Guardian Angel, but some critter broke it off. Can the seeds still be used, or does there have to be more development while it's still on the plant?
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

It takes about 40 days to ripen, and you can ripen them in sugar water 1 tsp sugar to 4 oz water.
New Topic Post Reply